Ole Miss Recruiting Question

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
ISTM that Ole Miss is quickly becoming the "new AU" in the West. They will be a force...while AU is becoming more and more irrelevant. I will say that I don't know anything about anything going on in Mississippi...but I have been impressed with Hugh Freeze and his "salesmanship." He has "it" and I imagine that is a lot of what is going on...at least I hope so because I don't want to see any SEC schools cheat. I hope that we all take the high road and leave the groundless accusations to MSU and AU...:) The reality is that if he has some really good years and even eclipses LSU -- then he will not be at OM long. If not, then he will bump along at 9 and 10 win seasons and all the OM alumni will go to the Grove and talk about how they are "just a few plays away from a national championship." The ghost of William Faulkner lives!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
ISTM that Ole Miss is quickly becoming the "new AU" in the West. They will be a force...while AU is becoming more and more irrelevant. I will say that I don't know anything about anything going on in Mississippi...but I have been impressed with Hugh Freeze and his "salesmanship." He has "it" and I imagine that is a lot of what is going on...at least I hope so because I don't want to see any SEC schools cheat. I hope that we all take the high road and leave the groundless accusations to MSU and AU...:) The reality is that if he has some really good years and even eclipses LSU -- then he will not be at OM long. If not, then he will bump along at 9 and 10 win seasons and all the OM alumni will go to the Grove and talk about how they are "just a few plays away from a national championship." The ghost of William Faulkner lives!!!
My accusations are not groundless...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I understand and respect you Earle...others have bothered me. Thanks for keeping us up...

BTW...Faulkner said it best: "Past...in the South the past isn't even past!!!" Or something like that...memory fades with age....

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
Think about it this way, according to Rivals rankings over the last 5 years we've had 5 Top 10 prospects. The most being two in one class. Weve won three Championships. You're telling me Ole Miss can pull three in one class?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand and respect you Earle...others have bothered me. Thanks for keeping us up...

BTW...Faulkner said it best: "Past...in the South the past isn't even past!!!" Or something like that...memory fades with age....
"The past is never dead. It's not even past."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
To me, it says that there's been a massive loss of confidence in Richt's ability to get the job done - on the part of the recruits and their families...

but richt is a good man, or something like that. i keep wondering when he will hit the tipping point of support in GA. he seems to be able to do just enough to satisfy the gullible.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
but richt is a good man, or something like that. i keep wondering when he will hit the tipping point of support in GA. he seems to be able to do just enough to satisfy the gullible.
I don't have much confidence in richt but to be fair he was 5 yards away from most likely winning a national championship. Hard to see how tht would lead to a total lack of confidence in him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't have much confidence in richt but to be fair he was 5 yards away from most likely winning a national championship. Hard to see how tht would lead to a total lack of confidence in him.
That's his problem. He's had a whole career full of "almosts." Also, the UGA fans understand that he's probably done less with more talent available to him than any coach in the conference...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Earle -- here's my favorite Faulkner quote: “Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.” I am still unpacking what he meant in that one...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle -- here's my favorite Faulkner quote: “Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders.” I am still unpacking what he meant in that one...
My wife's dad and Faulkner were friends - they did a lot of fishing together. Her family owned the main restaurant in Oxford back then. In fact, she used to serve him regularly in the restaurant. His favorite dish was hamburger steak. His wife always wore a hat, even in the evening in a restaurant...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
My wife's dad and Faulkner were friends - they did a lot of fishing together. Her family owned the main restaurant in Oxford back then. In fact, she used to serve him regularly in the restaurant. His favorite dish was hamburger steak. His wife always wore a hat, even in the evening in a restaurant...
OK...now I am officially jealous and envious...I like Faulkner so much I have a picture of his home hanging in my house.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That's his problem. He's had a whole career full of "almosts." Also, the UGA fans understand that he's probably done less with more talent available to him than any coach in the conference...
There is something, cellular, that's missing -- from Richt and Georgia. A man of God, his team can't behave on the field or off. The last two instate recruiting hauls are flabbergasting. Garner, before he left or was run off, bungled the recruiting of several kids, bungled them so badly that it might be construed as saboutage.

But coming off a great year, with holes all across the roster because of kids who flunked or stole or carried or smoked, and with an almost historic level of instate talent to pick from, Richt gets commits from a bunch of midlevel kids early, then loses just about every key head-to-head battle over the last six weeks, including Tunsil. All that momentum from the conference championship game looks to be coming to a crashing halt, and Georgia will be out recruited by as many as five other SEC teams. Inexplicable.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
IMO they are cheating and doing so blatantly. Even if they get all these guys and hype themselves up here is their problems: the NCAA will be down there next week, They still have to actually win, and develop the talent. While most of these guys are 5 stars IMO alot are over-rated. When you pay for kids they own your team and if you don't do what they want when they want, you set your self up your a huge cancer on your team as well as blackmail. The three guys that IMO are the best talents they may get are Chris Jones, Tunsil, & Conner (who wants to go to Bama ,but we all know where he lives). You can say that bama had a bad season when we signed the famed 2008 class,but Nick Saban Already had a Championship,Came from the NFL , and has been known for developing NFL talent. Saban single handedly closed down the talent rich state of LA and now LSU has been enjoying the riches since. Hugh Freeze not so much.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
but he didn't. i see he's got you hooked too. ;) he has an excuse for almost making it all of the time.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You guys are hating on Ole Miss to much. They have a rich tradition of winning.
Their tradition of winning is pitiful. They are paying for stuff that no one else has ever before even thought of paying. You're an obvious stirrer and, if you keep it up, I'm going to put you on ice...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.