Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Why should it be football's responsibility to carry the other sports? Why can't basketball take care of itself? Why can't soccer take care of itself? Not to veer into a political discussion, but that's exactly what your statements reeks of.
    Why? Title IX that's why. If you have to have the program obviously it incurs costs but brings in little to no revenue. You gotta cover the costs somehow. If we didnt have Title IX I expect more programs would be doing what you suggest...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamaslaw View Post
    I agree with you, but you gave me an excuse to post this:

Scores aren't 77-0 because it's considered cruel and unusual punishment. It looks bad. Does anyone really think we couldn't have beat Auburn 77-0 this year? And lopsided victories aren't exactly rare, they happen all the time.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Why? Title IX that's why. If you have to have the program obviously it incurs costs but brings in little to no revenue. You gotta cover the costs somehow. If we didnt have Title IX I expect more programs would be doing what you suggest...
    Right answer, but not to the question I was asking. I'm fully aware of Title IX and all it's implications.
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

That's an argument other fanbases use against us when they like to talk disparagingly about Coach Bryant. Your statement pretends that CPB went into kids homes and forced them to sign at gunpoint.
    You are kidding aren't you? How do you get forcing someone to sign a scholarship at gunpoint from a simple statement that coaches used to sign marginal prospects to keep them out of the hands of others?????? And BTW, Coach Bryant wasn't the only one who did this.

Why should it be football's responsibility to carry the other sports? Why can't basketball take care of itself? Why can't soccer take care of itself? Not to veer into a political discussion, but that's exactly what your statements reeks of.
    Reeks of? Angry a little are we? Believe it or not, there are other points of view on this issue that don't mesh with your own. You are assuming that all the money raised from boosters should go entirely to football. How do you know what's in the hearts of the boosters when they donate? Isn't it possible that boosters donate with the intention that the money go to support ALL the athletic programs? I like all the sports at Alabama and take pride in their accomplishments. It would be a pretty sad day, in my opinion, if all we had was a football team.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    You are kidding aren't you? How do you get forcing someone to sign a scholarship at gunpoint from a simple statement that coaches used to sign marginal prospects to keep them out of the hands of others?????? And BTW, Coach Bryant wasn't the only one who did this.
    You said "Before the reduction, CPB used to sign people just so no one else could have them." There's no other way to read that other than the way you intended. No coach has the power to sign kids against their will. Recruits are free to sign wherever they want. If they want to attend Alabama as an 8th string LB, then who am I to disagree? It's certainly not the NCAA's duty to tell kid where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_on_dsp View Post
    Reeks of? Angry a little are we? Believe it or not, there are other points of view on this issue that don't mesh with your own myopic ones. You are assuming that all the money raised from boosters should go entirely to football. How do you know what's in the hearts of the boosters when they donate? Isn't it possible that boosters donate with the intention that the money go to support ALL the athletic programs? I like all the sports at Alabama and take pride in their accomplishments. It would be a pretty sad day, in my opinion, if all we had was a football team.
    Not angry at all. Why does every other thread devolve into this? Just because two people disagree doesn't mean anger has to be involved. I've got no issue with someone holding a separate viewpoint from mine, just as I assume you don't. I've always thought that was the entire point of a message board anyway. To have a discussion. Seems like that's what we're doing, no?

And nowhere in any of my statements did I even remotely insinuate that all I wanted Alabama to have was a football program. There's nothing even remotely close to that. I've probably been to more Alabama basketball games than I have Alabama football games. Boosters can donate at their will, and we've seen that before. If a Booster wants to donate a few million to have a locker room named after him, then that's exactly what's done. (The Fail Room) If a soccer donor wants to earmark their contribution to the soccer program, than that's done too. I don't even understand the point in bringing that into the discussion. Boosters have absolutely nothing to do with the original conversation.

I'll ask the question again since it hasn't been answered. Why should it be football's responsibility to carry the other sports?
    Last edited by RedStar; January 28th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

I'll ask the question again since it hasn't been answered. Why should it be football's responsibility to carry the other sports?
    I don't think that anyone has suggested that it should. I took the comment to only mean "with respect Title IX".

Scholarship limits are not about parity. They are about cutting the EXPENSES of all men's sports in athletic departments. Less than 20 athletic departments are profitable regardless of the success of their football teams. It is not about profits, donations, fan support, or anything but the challenges athletic departments have in dealing with EXPENSES of football programs. Football EXPENSES skew the numbers in Title IX compliance. Football scholarship limits will drop to 65 in the next 20 years.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't think that anyone has suggested that it should. I took the comment to only mean "with respect Title IX".
    I guess that's where this is all headed then. Maybe Title IX needs to be looked at and re-examined. It's a wonderful idea on paper, and I don't want to see it completely done away with, but it feels icky to see the cash cow sport forced to carry the brunt of all the other sport's burdens.

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone46 View Post
    Scholarship limits are not about parity. They are about cutting the EXPENSES of all men's sports in athletic departments.
    Limits were put in place to create parity. The issues may have evolved, but that has nothing to do with why scholarship limits were put in place.
    Football scholarship limits will drop to 65 in the next 20 years.
    Sorry, not gonna happen because the industry makes too many people mountains of money.

I guess that's where this is all headed then. Maybe Title IX needs to be looked at and re-examined. It's a wonderful idea on paper, and I don't want to see it completely done away with, but it feels icky to see the cash cow sport forced to carry the brunt of all the other sport's burdens.
    Title IX isn't about equality or women - it is political pandering.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Removing Scholarships would have the effect of the 'Rich Getting Richer'.
    Universities like Alabama, USC, Ohio, Michigan, Texas, TAMU would all have the resources.
    To provide a larger number of scholarships.

Universities that can't fill a medium sized stadium will fall further and further behind.

It's all about money... The Haves and the Have nots...

If you want to raise football scholarships to 105, I hope you plan to support our new women's lacrosse team.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Y'all are fixin' to either (1) incur the wrath of Earle or (2) get this thread moved to the non sports forum.

I'm not a fan of removing scholarship limitations. There are smaller schools with limited resources that should have an opportunity to sign quality players. I am a fan of restoring the 105 scholly limit because that would give kids more opportunities to get scholarships.

Trying to force things through bureaucratic tinkering doesn't work and it hasn't worked in college football. Not. One. Bit. The OP demonstrated this by explaining that the same programs who won before 1994 have won after 1994. There's no reason to think that it won't change. The guys with the resources to game the system always will. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

Eventually, the guys with the resources will throw up their hands and say that the NCAA model is no longer working. It will lead to the creation of a new league, with perhaps 40-80 big time college programs who leave the NCAA and make their own TV deals.

The business of America is business. And college football ain't never been more business than it is now. The people who try to restrict business will be gotten around one way or another.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.