Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

Quote Originally Posted by bamapuppy View Post
    This thread reminds me of when I was going through my divorce. My lawyer told me to make the decisions with the childs best interest in mind. Do not make decisions for selfish reasons. Fight only if it benefits the child. I believe that the NCAA could benefit from my lawyers advise to me, and make decisions based soley on the needs of the student athlete. And, if they were to move the number back to 105. I believe thet would benefit the student athlete. Reason being that they might be able to go to the school of their choice. I think that 125, or 150 might make sense. I am sure that the University of Alabama could afford to grant 150 football scholorships. That would allow more student athletes a better opportunity to get an education.
    I agree. If I'm a 3 star athlete and it has been my dream to play football at the University of Alabama, and they can afford to give me a scholarship just to let me "ride the pine", I should have the opportunity to accept that scholarship and suit up for "my team".

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    It will be painful but eventually the entire bowl system needs to be removed. Playoff games should be seeded and played at higher seeds home field. Championship games could be played at rotating southern and domed sites like the SB.
    I know that there are many of you who want an NFL model for college football, but I really hope that is not what we come to. I can't stand the NFL. If you guys want an NFL model, just watch the NFL. I love college football because of the link to the university. I love that students dress up and that alums come back to town. I love to walk my old campus and see the hand prints of old captains in the concrete. I love to see old college buddies and eat good food. I love the pageantry of the bowls. I love college football. I will watch college football if they get rid of scholarships and return to the days of guys from the student body who come out just because they love the game.
    Those of you who love NFL football need to just cheer for NFL teams and quit watching college football. This is the only hope I have that college football will remain the same. Unfortunately, it seems that sports writers, northerners, and NFL lovers all have it in their minds that they need to change the college game. It is like when northerners move down South because they like the weather, the food, the slower paced life, and the first thing they start doing is trying to change things to the way they did things up North. It doesn't make any sense at all.
    Again, if you love college football, leave it alone. If you don't, watch the NFL. That way everyone can be happy.
    To stay on topic, I think eighty-five scholarships is plenty.
    Of course, I should add that this is only my opinion. Roll Tide!

Quote Originally Posted by nx4bama View Post
    I agree. If I'm a 3 star athlete and it has been my dream to play football at the University of Alabama, and they can afford to give me a scholarship just to let me "ride the pine", I should have the opportunity to accept that scholarship and suit up for "my team".
    Or you can suit up for "your team" and win the Heisman Trophy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Or you can suit up for "your team" and win the Heisman Trophy...

fine.... if i'm a 2 star athlete.....

fine.... if i'm a 2 star athlete.....
    Then you can be Team Defensive captain and get drafted in the 3rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Then you can be Team Defensive captain and get drafted in the 3rd!

technicality... wasn't he a walk-on???

I enthusiastically agree with everything above that TeamPlayer posted. As a word of support, I can promise you that university presidents will not allow college football to become a minor league for the NFL and separate themselves from their institutional purpose of education. Like TeamPlayer, most of us would support the University of Alabama Crimson Tide if all college football was made up of walk-ons. If the quality of play -and NOT COMPETITION, is your primary reason for following football, then the NFL might just be your ticket. There is no doubt Coach Saban learned that the highest level of quality of play didn't do it for him. It was the COMPETITION about working with those who wanted to prove themselves to be as good as they could possibly be and to achieve their individual and team goals.
    Off topic, but scholarship limitations for all of men's sports (including football) will be forced to comply with Title IX. It won't be market driven principles, NCAA rules, or what the fans support with attendance or interest.
    Athletic Departments will be forced to add women's sports, increase women's spending AND cut on the men's side since 95% of all athletic departments are losing money. One last time, football expenses skew the numbers so it is the easiest target. Regrettably, players like nx4Bama must suffer the consequences. If you have any little girls who want athletic scholarships, you might consider getting them a rowing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Capstone46 View Post
    If you have any little girls who want athletic scholarships, you might consider getting them a rowing machine.
    Had to re-read this sentence, I thought you typed "sewing" machine.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Had to re-read this sentence, I thought you typed "sewing" machine.
    yeah, i knew a girl in college who transferred to an ivy-league school and got a scholarship for crew and as far as i know, had zero experience.....

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    If you guys want an NFL model, just watch the NFL. I love college football ......
    It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

BamaNation Hall of Fame RedStar's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.
    Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
    Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice? Congratulations, you'd probably make a pretty good con-man.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

There was a valid reason for the scholarship reductions. Psu participated in the cover up and only came foreword after the news already was broken. PSU is trying to crawfish.
    They are lucky to still have a football program.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 29th, 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: format

yeah, i knew a girl in college who transferred to an ivy-league school and got a scholarship for crew and as far as i know, had zero experience.....
    I lived in Knoxville when they started their crew program and they took out an ad in the paper looking for female students to join the team. The ad said no rowing experience was needed.