Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation All-American
    Recipes
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

Some where around 100 scholarships. Would allow the smaller schools to still compete,
    but would allow the students to maybe get in the college of their choice.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 29th, 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: format

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I'm actually OK with the 85 but 105 would be OK, too. However, I think they should go back to being able to substitute a scholarship for one previously offered but the kid failed to qualify academically. Keeping a team to 25 players with no oversigning means that teams can no longer take chances on a player who is borderline academically. It hurts those kids.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.
    Ah, so you're saying it is unique. I agree, and I like it just like it is. If you don't like it, watch "virtually every single team sport at every single level." That way we can all be happy. Don't ruin our sport just because you want it to be like your other sports.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
    Exactly.

BamaNation First Team

I have tried to explain the impact of Title IX on men's football scholarship numbers, but based on some of the replies, I have miserably failed to present the facts in a way they could be understood.
    I respectfully ask the board moderators to give me a lifetime ban, if I ever offer another post on this subject.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
    Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.
    I understand your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. My main point is to be careful for what you wish because you just may get it. Who knows, it may end up being preferable, but I like the bowls and always have. Now, with that said, I don't always agree with every bowl match-up, but that gives us something to talk about between the end of the season and the beginning of the bowl games. Roll Tide, brother.

BamaNation All-American

To answer the OP...depends on the end goal.

Is it to educate the most athletes? If so, lift the cap altogether.

Is it to increase the chances of parity among FBS programs? If so, reduce it.

I think the more interesting question is, "What is the goal of the NCAA?"
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.
    Interesting observation... You think the goal of the NCAA is to regulate itself into continuing existence.

Can't say I disagree.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

I've long held that the limit should be no less than 125, if they are going to cap a class at 25 and five players five years to play four seasons.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    I've long held that the limit should be no less than 125, if they are going to cap a class at 25 and five players five years to play four seasons.
    I agree. I fact, I would be in favor of completely eliminating any "total scholarship" cap, and only have a 25 new scholarships per year rule.
    That would reward programs whose players remain academically eligible, don't get arrested, etc. It would also give schools an incentive to spend their scholarships on kids who are likely to stay in school and not get in trouble. There would be more at stake when considering a "problem child" or academic risk.
    I am not completely in favor of that idea as an Alabama fan, but I think it makes sense of the NCAA is serious about rewarding programs for keeping kids in school. The stupid 85 rule does the opposite.