Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 63 of 63
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    3,606
    Recipes
    1
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Some where around 100 scholarships. Would allow the smaller schools to still compete,
    but would allow the students to maybe get in the college of their choice.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 29th, 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: format

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    TenerC
    Posts
    4,463
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    I'm actually OK with the 85 but 105 would be OK, too. However, I think they should go back to being able to substitute a scholarship for one previously offered but the kid failed to qualify academically. Keeping a team to 25 players with no oversigning means that teams can no longer take chances on a player who is borderline academically. It hurts those kids.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

  4. #55
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    It's not an NFL model. It is the model of virtually every single team sport at every single level (including lower level college football) except the FBS. The bowl system never made any sense, it doesn't make sense now, and it won't ever make sense.
    Ah, so you're saying it is unique. I agree, and I like it just like it is. If you don't like it, watch "virtually every single team sport at every single level." That way we can all be happy. Don't ruin our sport just because you want it to be like your other sports.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
    Exactly.

  5. #56
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    886

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    I have tried to explain the impact of Title IX on men's football scholarship numbers, but based on some of the replies, I have miserably failed to present the facts in a way they could be understood.
    I respectfully ask the board moderators to give me a lifetime ban, if I ever offer another post on this subject.

  6. #57
    BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    735
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Honest question, not trying to flame: If you dislike it so much, why do you watch it?
    Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

    Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

    I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.
    Be Good Or Be Gone


  7. #58
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentAntiOrange View Post
    Because I love Alabama football and college football in general. But I also know that I've been having the "playoff" talk with buddies for 20+ years.

    Prior to the BCS I feel like there was a strong sentiment in the CFB world about moving to a playoff. Bowl tie-ins often led to less than desirable match ups and sometimes prevented the #1 vs #2 match ups that we all wanted to see. Now we have the BCS and while we eliminated the 1v2 problem, we still get odd match ups. ND didn't belong in the BCSNC game, NIU played FSU, and UGA got shafted. And never mind games like ArkSt vs Kent St.

    I love college football I just see no good in the bowl system. I never have.
    I understand your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. My main point is to be careful for what you wish because you just may get it. Who knows, it may end up being preferable, but I like the bowls and always have. Now, with that said, I don't always agree with every bowl match-up, but that gives us something to talk about between the end of the season and the beginning of the bowl games. Roll Tide, brother.

  8. #59
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    To answer the OP...depends on the end goal.

    Is it to educate the most athletes? If so, lift the cap altogether.

    Is it to increase the chances of parity among FBS programs? If so, reduce it.

    I think the more interesting question is, "What is the goal of the NCAA?"
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

  9. #60
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  10. #61
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Burbs of Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.
    Interesting observation... You think the goal of the NCAA is to regulate itself into continuing existence.

    Can't say I disagree.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

  11. #62
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,105

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    I've long held that the limit should be no less than 125, if they are going to cap a class at 25 and five players five years to play four seasons.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GreatDanish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

    Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    I've long held that the limit should be no less than 125, if they are going to cap a class at 25 and five players five years to play four seasons.
    I agree. I fact, I would be in favor of completely eliminating any "total scholarship" cap, and only have a 25 new scholarships per year rule.
    That would reward programs whose players remain academically eligible, don't get arrested, etc. It would also give schools an incentive to spend their scholarships on kids who are likely to stay in school and not get in trouble. There would be more at stake when considering a "problem child" or academic risk.
    I am not completely in favor of that idea as an Alabama fan, but I think it makes sense of the NCAA is serious about rewarding programs for keeping kids in school. The stupid 85 rule does the opposite.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!