Blog: Should the NCAA Remove the Limit on Football Scholarships?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I am not convinced the NCAA truly has a goal except to burden its members with a mountain of regs and to regulate with absolutely no consistency. I see scholarship reductions rather than increases.
Interesting observation... You think the goal of the NCAA is to regulate itself into continuing existence.

Can't say I disagree.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I've long held that the limit should be no less than 125, if they are going to cap a class at 25 and five players five years to play four seasons.
I agree. I fact, I would be in favor of completely eliminating any "total scholarship" cap, and only have a 25 new scholarships per year rule.
That would reward programs whose players remain academically eligible, don't get arrested, etc. It would also give schools an incentive to spend their scholarships on kids who are likely to stay in school and not get in trouble. There would be more at stake when considering a "problem child" or academic risk.
I am not completely in favor of that idea as an Alabama fan, but I think it makes sense of the NCAA is serious about rewarding programs for keeping kids in school. The stupid 85 rule does the opposite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.