Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My understanding is they will let whoever is sponsoring the trroop decide to admit gays or not. since many troops are sponsored by churches, doesn't that mean many troops will remain gay free?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My understanding is they will let whoever is sponsoring the trroop decide to admit gays or not. since many troops are sponsored by churches, doesn't that mean many troops will remain gay free?
It is safe to say that if the national organization changes its membership policy and puts most membership decisions in the hands of the individual chartering organizations (i.e. the franchisees, if you will) that some of them, maybe even many of them, will maintain the current membership restriction around homosexuality. But, I also believe there could be growth in the number of chartering organizations as some groups seek to promote membership for homosexual youth and adult volunteers.

It is safe to say that if the national organization changes its membership policy and puts most membership decisions in the hands of the individual chartering organizations (i.e. the franchisees, if you will) that some of them, maybe even many of them, will maintain the current membership restriction around homosexuality. But, I also believe there could be growth in the number of chartering organizations as some groups seek to promote membership for homosexual youth and adult volunteers.
That's what I see happening, and that's where the backlash has come from. People have used it as a slippery slope example and said, "Well, if the chartering organizations can make the decisions... what prevents them from keeping out kids that are (FILL IN RACE, RELIGION, ETC.)

(Sadly, self-segregated units still exist as towns in this state have the "white" troop and the "black" troop.)

I've talked to some of my friends who still work for the BSA professionally, and, yeah... they've said it's been a big headache from both sides of the issue.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Why are gays attracted to the military and scouting when there's Broadway shows, interior decorating and hairdressing? ;)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Madonna Dresses As Boy Scout, Slams Organization's Gay Ban And Honors Anderson Cooper

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/17/madonna-boy-scouts-anderson-cooper-glaad_n_2894081.html

Dressed in a Boy Scout uniform, the pop star told the audience, "I wanted to be a Boy Scout but they wouldn't let me join... I can build a fire. I know how to pitch a tent... Listen, I want to do good for the community. Most importantly, I know how to scout for boys!"

We need to closely check out her merit badges!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Madonna Dresses As Boy Scout, Slams Organization's Gay Ban And Honors Anderson Cooper

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/17/madonna-boy-scouts-anderson-cooper-glaad_n_2894081.html

Dressed in a Boy Scout uniform, the pop star told the audience, "I wanted to be a Boy Scout but they wouldn't let me join... I can build a fire. I know how to pitch a tent... Listen, I want to do good for the community. Most importantly, I know how to scout for boys!"

We need to closely check out her merit badges!
If Madonna can "pitch a tent", then that explains a lot. :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In all seriousness - does anybody give a hoot about the Boy Scouts anymore - other than gay rights activists? They were founded back before most Americans had cars. It's one of those things like little league baseball that is declining, which has nothing at all to do with sexual orientation.

I'm an Eagle Scout. In the 26 years since I got it we have gone from that being a big deal to having to explain what that is. I've never cared and don't even talk about it. When they called in 2008 wanting my info for the 100th anniversary in 2010, I told them to get my name off their list and never call me again. It's ancient history like the Whig Party. I figure the BSA is gonna have to let gays in just to have members.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here is the full text of the resolution to be voted on at the BSA National Meeting on May 24:

WHEREAS, it is the mission of the Boy Scouts of America to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law:

Scout Oath

Scout Law

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
And to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
Mentally awake, and morally straight.

A Scout is:
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind

Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

AND WHEREAS, duty to God, duty to country, duty to others, and duty to oneself are each a core value and immutable tenet of the Boy Scouts of America; and
WHEREAS, the Scout Oath begins with duty to God and the Scout Law ends with a Scout's obligation to be reverent, and that will always remain a core value of the Boy Scouts of America, and the values set forth in the Scout Oath and Law are fundamental to the BSA and central to teaching young people to make better choices over their lifetimes; and
WHEREAS, the vision of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare every eligible youth in America to become a responsible, participating citizen and leader who is guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law; and
WHEREAS, for more than 103 years, programs of the Boy Scouts of America have been delivered to youth members through cooperation with chartered organizations that select adult leaders who meet the organization's standards as well as the leadership standards of the Boy Scouts of America; and
WHEREAS, numerous independent experts have recognized that the programs protecting Scouts today, which include effective screening, education and training, and clear policies to protect youth and provide for their privacy, are among the best in the youth-serving community; and
WHEREAS, the current adult leadership standard of the Boy Scouts of America states:
The applicant must possess the moral, educational, and emotional qualities that the Boy Scouts of America deems necessary to afford positive leadership to youth. The applicant must also be the correct age, subscribe to the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty to God), and abide by the Scout Oath and the Scout Law.
While the BSA does not proactively inquire about sexual orientation of employees, volunteers, or members, we do not grant membership to individuals who are open or avowed homosexuals or who engage in behavior that would become a distraction to the mission of the BSA.
AND WHEREAS, Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether homosexual or heterosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting; and
WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America does not have an agenda on the matter of sexual orientation, and resolving this complex issue is not the role of the organization, nor may any member use Scouting to promote or advance any social or political position or agenda; and
WHEREAS, youth are still developing, learning about themselves and who they are, developing their sense of right and wrong, and understanding their duty to God to live a moral life; and
WHEREAS, America needs Scouting, and the organization's policies must be based on what is in the best interest of its young people, and the organization will work to stay focused on that which unites us, and
WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America will maintain the current membership policy for all adult leaders of the Boy Scouts of America, and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:
The following membership standard for youth members of the Boy Scouts of America is hereby adopted and approved, effective Jan. 1, 2014:
Youth membership in the Boy Scouts of America is open to all youth who meet the specific membership requirements to join the Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Sea Scout, and Venturing programs. Membership in any program of the Boy Scouts of America requires the youth member to (a) subscribe to and abide by the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law, (b) subscribe to and abide by the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty to God), and (c) demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others and is consistent at all times with the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law. No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Boy Scouts of America have officially adopted the membership policy change detailed in my previous post above. The new policy will go into effect on January 1, 2014.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The Boy Scouts of America have officially adopted the membership policy change detailed in my previous post above. The new policy will go into effect on January 1, 2014.
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but why go gays have to wait seven months to be a Scout? Why isn't the change happening right away?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.