Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
seems to me that its the boy scouts you should be angry at for not allowing faith-based institutions to practice their beliefs, not the gays. unless the gays infiltrated the boy scout meeting where they voted for this resolution.
Yeah....

"They're not on our good list yet," said Paul Guequierre of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group. He said the HRC, in its annual rankings of corporate policies on workplace fairness, would deduct points from companies that donate to the Boy Scouts until the ban on gay adults is lifted.

In California, gay-rights leaders said they would continue urging passage of a bill pending in the Legislature that would make the BSA ineligible for nonprofit tax breaks because of the remaining ban.

From article on AP

"After vote on gay youth, Boy Scouts face more turmoil"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah....

"They're not on our good list yet," said Paul Guequierre of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights group. He said the HRC, in its annual rankings of corporate policies on workplace fairness, would deduct points from companies that donate to the Boy Scouts until the ban on gay adults is lifted.

In California, gay-rights leaders said they would continue urging passage of a bill pending in the Legislature that would make the BSA ineligible for nonprofit tax breaks because of the remaining ban.

From article on AP

"After vote on gay youth, Boy Scouts face more turmoil"
I don't see where the HRC (or the gays as a broader group) is forcing or "not allowing" anything. They are stating their opinions on the Boy Scouts' membership policies. To get from there to "not allowing faith based institutions to practice their beliefs" is a huge stretch

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Baptists Consider Dropping Boy Scouts

Southern Baptists are expected to vote on a resolution about the Boy Scouts on Wednesday at their annual meeting in Houston. The resolution, not yet public, will probably urge them to prepare to cut ties with the Scouts.
As I understand it, some Baptist churches in the Birmingham area have already folded their organizations. There has also been a shortage of volunteers at some area summer camps.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
looks like there will be churches and other organizations that will be happy to take the orphaned troops

link

The Rev. Stephanie Seigh says she decided to invite troops to meet at One World Spiritual Center in Marietta after the nearby Roswell Street Baptist Church announced that it would end its nearly 70-year affiliation with Boy Scout Troop 204.
Seigh says her church's marquee now includes the message "Boy Scout troops welcome here."
Well over 95 percent of the Scouts' charter partners -- churches and other civic groups -- are staying with the program, said Jeff Fulcher, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America's Atlanta Area Council, which covers 13 metro Atlanta counties.
Fulcher said he's heard of at least nine organizations in Cobb County alone who have contacted the Boy Scouts to express interest in partnering with troops that are left without charter groups over the controversy, and he suspects more are willing to do so.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
The boy scouts have lost the most important thank in life. They have lost their integrity. As a old saying goes if you lose your integrity you have lost everything. Well in my opinion they have lost their way.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here is further insight on how Scouting is viewing the new membership policy:

If you or your chartered organization are thinking about leaving Scouting, I want you to consider this before the sun sets on your unit, before the last Scout stands in your entryway, before the campfire embers die away. Is there any way that you can maintain your values and continue to charter Scouting? I say yes, and here is why.

First, the resolution clearly states that sexual activity among Scout-aged youth is contrary to Scouting virtues, and that means that so long as it is uniformly and equitably applied, a unit could have in its code of conduct a statement regarding sexual abstinence as a condition of membership.

Second, the resolution only says that youth may not be denied membership solely on the basis of the youth's self-perceived sexual orientation. It does not say that a youth may not be denied membership if his behavior becomes a distraction to the program or the performance of the unit, or if his behavior casts a poor reflection on the reputation of the chartered organization.

Third, the resolution does not require that a church-chartered unit affirm the moral acceptability of same-sex attraction where that would be contrary to values and beliefs of the chartered organization.

Fourth, the resolution does not preclude the right of a church to ask adult leaders to exemplify by word and example the positive nature of traditional, heterosexual marriage as their recognized standard of what it means to be morally straight, with the goal of influencing youth in the unit to appreciate and appropriate that as part of their personal values system.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I am glad you're not in charge of orienteering.
Its not orienteering or orientation but what a group or even a person believes or what they stand for. If you say one thing and pressure from outside causes you to change your views then I question this. I feel people can think like they want just like if gays wants families go ahead as long as they abide by the law. Even different beliefs are against mind I don't want to go kill them but let them have them and not interfere with mind. Here is what I am trying to say its like 92tide all of a sudden started saying He feels about different topics the same way as I do I would be instantly suspicious.:):)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Its not orienteering or orientation but what a group or even a person believes or what they stand for. If you say one thing and pressure from outside causes you to change your views then I question this. I feel people can think like they want just like if gays wants families go ahead as long as they abide by the law. Even different beliefs are against mind I don't want to go kill them but let them have them and not interfere with mind. Here is what I am trying to say its like 92tide all of a sudden started saying He feels about different topics the same way as I do I would be instantly suspicious.:):)
Please retype this after you've sobered up. :)

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Yes, but with my wife. We are oenophiles. :)
Please forgive my skills in my ability to print what I am saying. So many people are far more educated then I am. Everybody in my household has an college degree except for me. My job has helped them get that degree but I lack the skills of my own. I am in my fifty's but I do try to improve and I do also thank because of my limited ability to express myself I have turn people away from what My point was. I am not a harsh person but one that is grounded in his beliefs. For what it is worth ROLL TIDE!!:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.