Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Its not orienteering or orientation but what a group or even a person believes or what they stand for. If you say one thing and pressure from outside causes you to change your views then I question this. I feel people can think like they want just like if gays wants families go ahead as long as they abide by the law. Even different beliefs are against mind I don't want to go kill them but let them have them and not interfere with mind. Here is what I am trying to say its like 92tide all of a sudden started saying He feels about different topics the same way as I do I would be instantly suspicious.:):)
i have always felt that i should get a nickle deposited to my paypal account every time my name is used to make a point ;)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I meant to post this earlier...not completely sure what I think about it yet:

Boy Scout Alternative: Trail Life USA Launches Premier Christian Group for Boys

Trail Life USA’s goal is to counter the “moral free fall” of the nation, and “raise a generation of faithful husbands, fathers, citizens and leaders,” organizers said. Its other mission is to provide a robust, Christ-centered alternative to the Boy Scouts of America.
Initially, I am concerned that some would want to go from an organization that doesn't specify who God is or isn't and doesn't specify how a person should practice his religion (this is BSA) to an organization that is strictly Christian in nature (this is Trail Life USA). Furthermore, it's intriguing that there are a group of former scouts and volunteers who have seemingly chosen the singular issue of sexual behavior to create Trail Life USA and exclude all other religions from Scouting as a result. Why didn't they do this earlier?

Anyway, I suspect I'll end up being deeply disappointed with what ultimately transpires.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I meant to post this earlier...not completely sure what I think about it yet:

Boy Scout Alternative: Trail Life USA Launches Premier Christian Group for Boys

Initially, I am concerned that some would want to go from an organization that doesn't specify who God is or isn't and doesn't specify how a person should practice his religion (this is BSA) to an organization that is strictly Christian in nature (this is Trail Life USA). Furthermore, it's intriguing that there are a group of former scouts and volunteers who have seemingly chosen the singular issue of sexual behavior to create Trail Life USA and exclude all other religions from Scouting as a result. Why didn't they do this earlier?

Anyway, I suspect I'll end up being deeply disappointed with what ultimately transpires.
I was a Boy Scout way back in the 1950's. Iirc, the BSA was mostly a Christian-oriented organization back then. That is, most everything that was taught was based on religious teachings. (That is, other than outdoor activities and skills). The difference is that there was never a policy to restrict it's membership to individuals of any one particular faith or belief. All were welcome, even those who chose to not attend or participate in "church" activities.
You never would, though, find a member who claimed to have a sexual orientation that was any other than what most would describe as "normal".

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Boy Scouts’ President Calls for End to Ban on Gay Leaders

The president of the Boy Scouts of America on Thursday called for an end to the group’s blanket ban on gay adult leaders, warning Scout executives that “we must deal with the world as it is, not as we might wish it to be,” and that “any other alternative will be the end of us as a national movement.”
At the same time, religious organizations that sponsor a majority of local Scout troops, including the Mormons and Roman Catholics, should remain free to set their own policies for leaders, said the president, Robert M. Gates, the former director of the C.I.A. and the former secretary of defense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u....html?emc=edit_na_20150521&nlid=57903598&_r=0

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Boy Scouts’ President Calls for End to Ban on Gay Leaders

The president of the Boy Scouts of America on Thursday called for an end to the group’s blanket ban on gay adult leaders, warning Scout executives that “we must deal with the world as it is, not as we might wish it to be,” and that “any other alternative will be the end of us as a national movement.”
At the same time, religious organizations that sponsor a majority of local Scout troops, including the Mormons and Roman Catholics, should remain free to set their own policies for leaders, said the president, Robert M. Gates, the former director of the C.I.A. and the former secretary of defense.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u....html?emc=edit_na_20150521&nlid=57903598&_r=0
They'll be baking and selling Girl Scout cookies before long.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I don't remember my Scout Troop discussing religion much at all. It was more about citizenship in the community, nation and so forth along with survivor skills. Be prepared.

Trustworthy truthful ...faithful, honest, clean, reverent ... cant remember it all but the reverent part could might be (by some) considered religious although that's not the meaning, but no where did I remember it saying Christian, or ever speaking of sex at all.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
http://www.today.com/parents/boy-sc...america-our-ban-water-guns-nothing-new-t22026

I was never much into scouting, but this seems ridiculous. No paintball, laser tag or water pistols - because they are "simulated firearms"?

Okay, may not want them walking around with realistic looking guns out in public, as that doesn't always turn out so well. But such a broad rule seems like an overreaction. What's next, merit badges for reporting how many guns your parents keep in the house?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I don't remember my Scout Troop discussing religion much at all. It was more about citizenship in the community, nation and so forth along with survivor skills. Be prepared.

Trustworthy truthful ...faithful, honest, clean, reverent ... cant remember it all but the reverent part could might be (by some) considered religious although that's not the meaning, but no where did I remember it saying Christian, or ever speaking of sex at all.
Me neither. Religion never came up. Seems like somebody said a prayer before chow at the mess hall at summer camp. I was in a military sponsored troop ..good ole Troop 234.. so any religion would have been mild and generic.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Me neither. Religion never came up. Seems like somebody said a prayer before chow at the mess hall at summer camp. I was in a military sponsored troop ..good ole Troop 234.. so any religion would have been mild and generic.
And if your scout troop was anything like mine (albeit over a half century ago), sex was rarely, if ever, discussed.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
And if your scout troop was anything like mine (albeit over a half century ago), sex was rarely, if ever, discussed.
Betcha we're about the same age Reb ( although I'm still mentally sharp :)). Sex was just never a topic of discussion. We all tried to live up to the principles of scouting, Pretty good bunch of guys.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
Betcha we're about the same age Reb ( although I'm still mentally sharp :)). Sex was just never a topic of discussion. We all tried to live up to the principles of scouting, Pretty good bunch of guys.
Yep, you're probably right. As for scouting, I was all about getting that next 'badge'.

And way back then, ''gay'' meant happy and carefree. It didn't mean anything close to what it means today.

To the OP: I sure am glad my child-rearing days are over. It gives me great relief knowing I don't have to explain to my kids why I won't let them go into scouting.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.