Boy Scouts close to ending ban on gay members, leaders

The link: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ose-to-ending-ban-on-gay-members-leaders?lite

My thoughts: This has been a long time coming. I worked for the organization for 5 years, and the ban was a headache to try and deal with/explain. My friends who still work with the organization have said this has been in the works for a while because local councils have threatened to rebel against the national standard. Putting it in the hands of the chartering organizations, though, is a step in the right direction as they are the ones that ultimately own and control the individual Scouting units.

While the national scouting organization sets broad policies, more than 290 local councils nationwide govern the day-to-day conduct of the more than 116,000 local organizations. Individual scouting troops are sponsored by religious and civic organizations that represent a diversity of views on the issue of allowing gay scouts and leaders.
“The beliefs of the sponsoring organizations are highly diverse,” the official said.

The policy change now under discussion “would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue,” said the BSA's Smith.

“The Boy Scouts would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members or parents. Under this proposed policy, the BSA would not require any chartered organization to act in ways inconsistent with that organization’s mission, principles or religious beliefs,” he said.
I'm sure certain organizations (Read: The LDS church, who has an incredible amount of influence on the BSA due to membership practices) will oppose this, but that will be countered by the likes of The United Way agencies putting funding in the cross hairs.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The link: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ose-to-ending-ban-on-gay-members-leaders?lite

My thoughts: This has been a long time coming. I worked for the organization for 5 years, and the ban was a headache to try and deal with/explain. My friends who still work with the organization have said this has been in the works for a while because local councils have threatened to rebel against the national standard. Putting it in the hands of the chartering organizations, though, is a step in the right direction as they are the ones that ultimately own and control the individual Scouting units.

I'm sure certain organizations (Read: The LDS church, who has an incredible amount of influence on the BSA due to membership practices) will oppose this, but that will be countered by the likes of The United Way agencies putting funding in the cross hairs.
So you don't see a problem with homosexual men carrying young boys on camping trips??

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And somewhere in the depths of China, a young woman, probably 12-13, is sewing the very first "Boy Scout - Fashion Design" Badge....

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
we don't generally let grown men take our little girls on camping trips, do we???
That is a fair point -- but let's look at the big picture.

This is simply an attempt to get rid of the boy scouts. And, within 10 years, it will probably be achieved.....it's a shame, but there are a lot of things that are a "shame" now.... it's too bad

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

This is simply an attempt to get rid of the boy scouts. And, within 10 years, it will probably be achieved.....it's a shame, but there are a lot of things that are a "shame" now.... it's too bad
I think you're right.

Did you read the article? The control is being given back to the chartering organizations, where it should have been placed all along. All chartering organizations are supposed to approve the adult leadership in each unit. They can reject them for a VARIETY of reasons, and I've seen some incredibly petty reasons be used before.

Do I see a lot of churches, the bulk of the chartering organizations out there, allowing gay leaders and scouts? Not at all. Do I see lot of other chartering organizations being developed and stepping up to the plate? Absolutely.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Did you read the article? The control is being given back to the chartering organizations, where it should have been placed all along. All chartering organizations are supposed to approve the adult leadership in each unit. They can reject them for a VARIETY of reasons, and I've seen some incredibly petty reasons be used before.

Do I see a lot of churches, the bulk of the chartering organizations out there, allowing gay leaders and scouts? Not at all. Do I see lot of other chartering organizations being developed and stepping up to the plate? Absolutely.
No offense, but I think you are wrong. Kids are participating less and less in Scouting. Maybe it's because there is less interest, or maybe there is too much for Scouting to compete with..... In most areas that I see, Scouting is something you see primarily (there are exceptions, I'm sure) in the wealthier, more conservative areas. But allowing Gay Scout Leaders -- will do quite a bit of damage to Scouting as a whole.

I'm guessing it will be a race to see which disappears first, Scouting or the NFL (ha!)

No offense, but I think you are wrong. Kids are participating less and less in Scouting. Maybe it's because there is less interest, or maybe there is too much for Scouting to compete with..... In most areas that I see, Scouting is something you see primarily (there are exceptions, I'm sure) in the wealthier, more conservative areas. But allowing Gay Scout Leaders -- will do quite a bit of damage to Scouting as a whole.

I'm guessing it will be a race to see which disappears first, Scouting or the NFL (ha!)
No offense, but I think I have a bit more experience in this field than you.

I worked professionally for the organization and dealt with recruiting issues for 5 years. As a whole, the biggest competition to Scouting is youth sports. Period. I saw it in the more rural areas I worked, where parents thought kids should do basically nothing but play baseball, to the more affluent areas I covered. When I would explain to parents Scouting encouraged participation in sports, I'd usually be met with, "Well, he has to pick between one or the other, and I want him to play (FILL IN SPORT)."

The other problem is not having enough good leaders to start. Most parents think BSA stands for "Babysitters of America" and fail to realize adult volunteers have to contribute to the program. The thing that is doing the most damage to the organization is not having enough adults to step to the plate and lead.

Allowing gay leaders and scouts in units that accept them will not damage or harm the organization. I can guarantee you there are examples of both in basically every council in the country.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
You're right. No adults should be around children ever because you never know when one is going to have a little fun with them.
i dont care how much you argue, you know good and well that you would not send your 14 year old daughter off on a camping trip with a heterosexual male. so why doesn't that logic apply to homosexual men and 14 year old boys??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.