Delicious Irony: Tennessee is almost "out of business."

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
The athletic department spends a startling $21 million a year on debt payments, $13.5 million of which comes from the school's stressed $99.5 million athletic budget and the rest from donations.

It's an ugly financial picture for one of the nation's strongest football brands, the kind of financial hole that SEC football giants aren't supposed to be in, brought about by expensive coaching buyouts and costly improvements to Neyland Stadium and other athletic facilities, just as the losing seasons set in.​

Full story.

For those who can read a balance sheet and income statement, the picture can't be more grim.

They are $200 million in debt and have 1/100th of that in cash reserves.

Recall that in 1999, UT coaches told then-prospect Santonio Beard that Alabama was going to be "out of business" in two years.

We're not only still in business, but we're sitting on cash reserves close to $120 million with little burdensome debt and steady growth in revenues. UT is standing on the abyss of bankruptcy.

Processed.

:cool2:

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
Sounds like we need to bail them out... Okay I couldn't even keep a straight face while I typed that...lol

Sucks for them, I'm sure they'll just tax me more to help pay for it...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
First it could not happen to a more deserving bunch, I do feel fot Hart but he chose to go there.

Now the BIG MOUTHS like Tenn Stud, Payton Manning, & the jerk that owns the Browns along with every player like T Martin that got paid all need to chip in. I don't see how you can have the attendance they do have, although down still good & be in trouble.

Right now all I feel is JOY!

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Since my daughter is a freshman at UT (full ride academic scholly) I hope they do not raise student fees to make up for the poor hiring decisions. I would much rather spend my money on Tide Pride tickets.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Since my daughter is a freshman at UT (full ride academic scholly) I hope they do not raise student fees to make up for the poor hiring decisions. I would much rather spend my money on Tide Pride tickets.
I sent a daughter to two degrees at UT because her major wasn't available in the state of Alabama, and what she's doing today is a direct result of those degrees. Sometimes, academics have to trump emotions and loyalty...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I sent a daughter to two degrees at UT because her major wasn't available in the state of Alabama, and what she's doing today is a direct result of those degrees. Sometimes, academics have to trump emotions and loyalty...
Yeah, but please tell us she didn't cross over to the dark orange side.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The athletic department spends a startling $21 million a year on debt payments, $13.5 million of which comes from the school's stressed $99.5 million athletic budget and the rest from donations.

It's an ugly financial picture for one of the nation's strongest football brands, the kind of financial hole that SEC football giants aren't supposed to be in, brought about by expensive coaching buyouts and costly improvements to Neyland Stadium and other athletic facilities, just as the losing seasons set in.​

Full story.

For those who can read a balance sheet and income statement, the picture can't be more grim.

They are $200 million in debt and have 1/100th of that in cash reserves.

Recall that in 1999, UT coaches told then-prospect Santonio Beard that Alabama was going to be "out of business" in two years.

We're not only still in business, but we're sitting on cash reserves close to $120 million with little burdensome debt and steady growth in revenues. UT is standing on the abyss of bankruptcy.

Processed.

:cool2:
Don't mess with Karma. She sometimes takes her own sweet time getting around to it, but when she takes her vengeance, it isn't pretty....Unless, of course, you're the wronged party, in which case it's glorious.

It's glorious.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Part of their problem is their cupcake scheduling. To fill that size stadium, better stop scheduling the Troys of the world and, get some teams their fans actually want to watch. Hard to hate them they are just so pathetic.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
So what happens in a case where the AD goes bankrupt? Do they shut down athletics until they can get back into the green, raise tuition an ungodly amount, or what? Serious question.

Last edited:

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I agree. Thanks goodness it worked for us in reverse: major at UA that is not offered at any Tennessee college. My son gets to major in what he wants and go to the college that he loves.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
So what happens in a case where the AD goes bankrupt? Do they shut down athletics until they can get back into the green, raise tuition an ungodly amount, or what? Serious question.
That is a good question. I hear on local radio that the academic side is going to give the UT AD something near $18 million over the next 5-6 years to try to make up some of their deficit. In order to do this, they are cutting $5-6 million in academic scholarships. There will most likely be tuition increases as well.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I am up here this week and having a little time to listen to sports radio and they are laughing at themselves to keep from jumping off a bridge. Some talk show was saying something along the lines that the AD was paying Dooley around $100,000.00 a month to NOT work. I do not know if that is true but if it is, then good for Dooley!

runatl

Suspended
Dec 5, 2011
Another important thing that hasn't gotten mentioned:

Tennessee girls are too pretty to not be on TV every Saturday!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.