Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Re: Bill to Require Annual Longhorns-Aggies Game

Governor Rick Perry is also an aTm grad.

He'd probably sign it.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, A&M expressed regret over UT's canceling the series, so you'd have to think they will back it. It would require a change of heart on the part of UT and its backers. Scheduling is difficult enough now, trying to fold in the two new members, but, other than that, I feel crashingly neutral...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me that much if A&M backers were behind it.

Think about it. After living in the Longhorn's shadow for so long, now Aggies are on the way up while the Horns, despite their ability to bring in all the talent they want, seem to be on the way down. Can you imagine the advantage, even if it is just short term, that the Aggies would have over UTex if they were able to bandy about both the ability to play in the SEC as well as a three or four game winning streak over the Horns in recruit's living rooms?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me that much if A&M backers were behind it.

Think about it. After living in the Longhorn's shadow for so long, now Aggies are on the way up while the Horns, despite their ability to bring in all the talent they want, seem to be on the way down. Can you imagine the advantage, even if it is just short term, that the Aggies would have over UTex if they were able to bandy about both the ability to play in the SEC as well as a three or four game winning streak over the Horns in recruit's living rooms?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
    I guess so. I just think if A&M really thinks about it adding another tough game to their schedule every year is not such a good idea. Texas may be on a downswing, but they will not always be. I can see them wanting to rotate through the Texas schools and catch Texas every few years or so. But a yearly matchup with them kind of locks them into one game. I like how Coach Saban wants one big out of conference game a year and we have the flexibility to schedule anyone. IMHO at this point a yearly game would mean a lot more to Texas than TAMU. If the Big 12 somehow magically turns into the SEC it could switch, but I don't see that happening for a good while if ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I was hearing the A&M would not have played in the cotton bowl if they tried to match them up against Texas. They were saying to much bad blood right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Texas A&M non-conference schedule, 2013:

Saturday Aug. 31 Rice
    Saturday Sept. 7 Sam Houston State
    Saturday Sept. 21 SMU
    Saturday Nov. 16 New Mexico

Maybe the reason for wanting the natural rivalry intact, like most SEC teams? They're already taking a beating on their non-con from some media members.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Don't have a dog in that hunt. However, I think a UTx-vs-aTm series would benefit UTx more than aTm. aTm needs to separate themselves from UTx. I'm surprised if the legislation is coming from the aTm side.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

There's one thing in it that bothers me.

House Bill 778, as filed, does not specify when the game should occur, but it does offer a penalty should it fail to happen: Whichever institution refused to participate in the showdown would suffer restrictions on its athletic scholarships.
    So the state of Texas has the power to restrict athletic scholarships? They do have the power to withhold state funding to the colleges. But athletic scholarships is none of their business.
    Lucky #13

BamaNation First Team lazlohollyfeld's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonChuck View Post
    There's one thing in it that bothers me.

So the state of Texas has the power to restrict athletic scholarships? They do have the power to withhold state funding to the colleges. But athletic scholarships is none of their business.
    The subsection you are referring to: (b) If The University of Texas at Austin or Texas A&M University refuses to play the football game required by Subsection (a) in a year, the university may not award to any student for the following academic year an athletic scholarship, grant, or similar financial assistance funded with state money and conditioned on the student's participation on the university's intercollegiate football team.

It is an amendment to the Texas Education Code. This link should work
    Last edited by lazlohollyfeld; January 29th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lazlohollyfeld View Post
    The subsection you are referring to: (b) If The University of Texas at Austin or Texas A&M University refuses to play the football game required by Subsection (a) in a year, the university may not award to any student for the following academic year an athletic scholarship, grant, or similar financial assistance funded with state money and conditioned on the student's participation on the university's intercollegiate football team.

It is an amendment to the Texas Education Code. This link should work
    That's worse yet than what I've been reading. That says no scholarships at all...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason, somebody somewhere. We could know if we could follow the money.

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamahippie View Post
    Texas A&M non-conference schedule, 2013:

Saturday Aug. 31 Rice
    Saturday Sept. 7 Sam Houston State
    Saturday Sept. 21 SMU
    Saturday Nov. 16 New Mexico

Maybe the reason for wanting the natural rivalry intact, like most SEC teams? They're already taking a beating on their non-con from some media members.
    That is a pathetic non-conference schedule! They need to play someone like Texas so that they have a REAL non-conference schedule.

With that schedule, even with a very bad team, you are definitely going to win 4 games.

Their players will not even know what it is to sweat prior to playing Alabama.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I was a bit puzzled that it originated from the Aggie side...

They are thinking PAYBACK. Personally, I'd want TU to stew. "Wanna play us? Get in the final 4 next year or the NCG this year."

Too bad Bama will be there... Hope is eternally.