Bill to Require Annual Longhorns-Aggies Game

jagvocate

Scout Team
Jun 14, 2010
It is bill #700 and something out of about 4,000 that'll be introduced this session. Probably wont amount to much.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was a legislative resolution that started our playing AU again in 1948. The threat was that, if we didn't, then a bill would be passed...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I would not be surprised if it was not initiated on the Longhorn end to keep recruiting from sliding more. Even if the TAMU side is more likely to win the game right now, I think this would help the Texas side far more than A&M.

I know the guy in the article is an A&M graduate, but I still smell Texas.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would not be surprised if it was not initiated on the Longhorn end to keep recruiting from sliding more. Even if the TAMU side is more likely to win the game right now, I think this would help the Texas side far more than A&M.

I know the guy in the article is an A&M graduate, but I still smell Texas.
I was a bit puzzled that it originated from the Aggie side...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
All you need is Jerry throwing around a truck load of cash to play in his palace and both schools will think long and hard about starting it back up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If I remember correctly, A&M expressed regret over UT's canceling the series, so you'd have to think they will back it. It would require a change of heart on the part of UT and its backers. Scheduling is difficult enough now, trying to fold in the two new members, but, other than that, I feel crashingly neutral...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
It wouldn't surprise me that much if A&M backers were behind it.

Think about it. After living in the Longhorn's shadow for so long, now Aggies are on the way up while the Horns, despite their ability to bring in all the talent they want, seem to be on the way down. Can you imagine the advantage, even if it is just short term, that the Aggies would have over UTex if they were able to bandy about both the ability to play in the SEC as well as a three or four game winning streak over the Horns in recruit's living rooms?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It wouldn't surprise me that much if A&M backers were behind it.

Think about it. After living in the Longhorn's shadow for so long, now Aggies are on the way up while the Horns, despite their ability to bring in all the talent they want, seem to be on the way down. Can you imagine the advantage, even if it is just short term, that the Aggies would have over UTex if they were able to bandy about both the ability to play in the SEC as well as a three or four game winning streak over the Horns in recruit's living rooms?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
I guess so. I just think if A&M really thinks about it adding another tough game to their schedule every year is not such a good idea. Texas may be on a downswing, but they will not always be. I can see them wanting to rotate through the Texas schools and catch Texas every few years or so. But a yearly matchup with them kind of locks them into one game. I like how Coach Saban wants one big out of conference game a year and we have the flexibility to schedule anyone. IMHO at this point a yearly game would mean a lot more to Texas than TAMU. If the Big 12 somehow magically turns into the SEC it could switch, but I don't see that happening for a good while if ever.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I was hearing the A&M would not have played in the cotton bowl if they tried to match them up against Texas. They were saying to much bad blood right now.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Texas A&M non-conference schedule, 2013:

Saturday Aug. 31 Rice
Saturday Sept. 7 Sam Houston State
Saturday Sept. 21 SMU
Saturday Nov. 16 New Mexico

Maybe the reason for wanting the natural rivalry intact, like most SEC teams? They're already taking a beating on their non-con from some media members.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Don't have a dog in that hunt. However, I think a UTx-vs-aTm series would benefit UTx more than aTm. aTm needs to separate themselves from UTx. I'm surprised if the legislation is coming from the aTm side.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.