Pennsylvania Reps Want Penn State Scholarships Restored ( Sandusky Sanctions)

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I guess you cant blame them for trying, they're throwing stuff at the wall to see if something sticks.imo. i'll be shocked and saddened if it does.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I guess you cant blame them for trying, they're throwing stuff at the wall to see if something sticks.imo. i'll be shocked and saddened if it does.
although i wouldn't be happy, i wouldn't be shocked. the ncaa is getting battered from all angles right now and PSU is one of their historical darlings. the biggest obstacle to them getting some relief is the nature of what happened. had they been hammered into oblivion for something like a pay-for-play scandal or grade fixing, i would bet that the ncaa would knuckle under. but with the awfulness of the facts in their case, it may be too much for the ncaa to deal with.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
How does PSU get out from under the fact they agreed that the sanctions were appropriate?
Like a bank robber caught red handed in the vault and they are trying to talk you into putting the gun down. Like a child promising to be good before he gets a spanking. Thats how. Some people are weak minded enought to agree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I actually agree with the folks that want the $60MM fine dropped - this is way outside of the authority of the NCAA. But getting the schollies returned? Sorry, Charlie.

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
I realize I am in the minority but I never agreed with the sanctions in the first place. I think what they did was criminal and I agree that the justice system should punish them to the full extent possible but I just don't see how this was a football program problem that requires NCAA attention, just because of Sandusky's association with the team. If it were, then way didn't every athletic program get hit with some kind of sanction because of the AD's involvement in the coverup. I don't think the NCAA should be the moral police, in my opinion it sets a huge precedent. Maybe I am just confused as to the responsibilities of the NCAA but in my mind they are just there to enforce their rules to keep the playing field fair.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I realize I am in the minority but I never agreed with the sanctions in the first place. I think what they did was criminal and I agree that the justice system should punish them to the full extent possible but I just don't see how this was a football program problem that requires NCAA attention, just because of Sandusky's association with the team. If it were, then way didn't every athletic program get hit with some kind of sanction because of the AD's involvement in the coverup. I don't think the NCAA should be the moral police, in my opinion it sets a huge precedent. Maybe I am just confused as to the responsibilities of the NCAA but in my mind they are just there to enforce their rules to keep the playing field fair.
yep...I agree in total

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Just so we're all clear, this isn't Penn State making this request, but two PA congressmen, one of whom is from Penn State's district. Worst case scenario, they're grandstanding; best case, they actually believe what they're selling. In any event, it isn't PSU.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Just so we're all clear, this isn't Penn State making this request, but two PA congressmen, one of whom is from Penn State's district. Worst case scenario, they're grandstanding; best case, they actually believe what they're selling. In any event, it isn't PSU.
its not psu directly but ill bet you a ham sammich that what was done was with psu blessing. Phone calls were made imo. So imo indirectly it is psu. Who benefits if they succeed?

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
1. PSU, including the Board of Trustees, signed up to the process and the punishment. It's probably why the whining is now coming from other parties, particularly ones who'll be seeking votes in Pennsylvania next year.

2. The NCAA found that the athletic department was involved in the coverup. Again, PSU agreed to this.

I agree that this was an unusual case which we all hope never happens again, but I have no problem with the punishments.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not to mention, the NCAA doesn't have the authority to levy monetary penalties for criminal conduct.....

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
its not psu directly but ill bet you a ham sammich that what was done was with psu blessing. Phone calls were made imo. So imo indirectly it is psu. Who benefits if they succeed?
1. Who gets hammered if the the NCAA gets ticked off? They left the door open for additional sanctions. 2. Who looks good in the eyes of constituents even if they don't succeed? 3. Who benefits by having the issue dragged out even further (I dunno, but it sure as hell isn't Penn State)

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
And came down with the penalties in record time. The NCAA has never acted that fast ever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.