Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Re: layers used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Don't forget, the Barn 2010 season is riddled with these same accusations--we're just not hearing about that because they are completely irrelevant.

What irritates me is everytime these snake oil salesmen are interviewed they tell a different version of their stories. They have ZERO credibility. IMO, like stated in an above post, they should be criminally investigated.
You could try and get them for slander or libel, but in those I'm pretty sure the burden of proof lies with the accuser. It's why there are so many gossip mags out there - easy to say, tough to prove never really happened.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: layers used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

You could try and get them for slander or libel, but in those I'm pretty sure the burden of proof lies with the accuser. It's why there are so many gossip mags out there - easy to say, tough to prove never really happened.
UA wouldn't have a cause of action here. The individual players might. The defamation would be easy enough to prove. However, Ross and company would claim truth for a defense and it would be word against word, unless Ross really does have some sort of recording. Even if the players won, there would be the problem of proving damages, which would be tough for 20 year old players. Finally, it always good to consider the fact that bringing suit may just bring more attention to the original defamation...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Scarbinski has an article up about this and the tone of it made it seem like these guys were legit businessmen. He's asking why they would ignore bama and risk players...ummmm because he's a weasel trying to make money.

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
Considering the NCAA and the Miami debacle ... seriously... this should be a non-issue!!! I cannot even believe we are talking about Deer Antler spray ... and more annoyed that ND and others think we are going to have to vacate wins over this. Unreal!!
Please tell me this will be over soon and I can continue to celebrate our 15th championship and stop hearing all the nonsense.
Every year .. just gotta be something controversial!!!! UGH!!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I'd sue errbody if I thought I could get a free year's supply of antler juice. My wife says the changes have been nothing short of astounding.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Is this dude with his busyness in Fultondale selling the stuff to high schools players in the area and the state: Gardendale, Fultondale, Mortimer Jordan, other Jefferson County schools, B'ham schools, et al?

Did I understand that the STUFF in question comes out of Houston, TX? Is it being used at Texas A & M, et al?

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
and more annoyed that ND and others think we are going to have to vacate wins over this. Unreal!!

This would be in thier dreams that if this does hit the fan and go through the celing, that this will be the only way beat us since they were not able to TCB on the field!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Heard him on a local sports talk show here in the ATL. Talk about a loser huckster. From my understanding, he had another business that went bankrupt because of false claims. Said he was flying to New Orleans today and Lee Steinberg (disgraced former super agent) was representing him. Couldn't remember name of UGA player that he said was is contact before the SEC game that bought sprays and transmitters from him. As i understood it, he said Bama players bought transmitters but not spray.

Was incredibly defensive for someone who thinks he has a legitimate business. Kept telling the hosts they needed to go do the research on google and that the spray he sells is not illegal or against the rules because it is natural and none of his clients (or products) have ever failed a test.

Sum total : he sounded like what I imagine a male stripper would sound like.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Heard him on a local sports talk show here in the ATL. Talk about a loser huckster. From my understanding, he had another business that went bankrupt because of false claims. Said he was flying to New Orleans today and Lee Steinberg (disgraced former super agent) was representing him. Couldn't remember name of UGA player that he said was is contact before the SEC game that bought sprays and transmitters from him. As i understood it, he said Bama players bought transmitters but not spray.

Was incredibly defensive for someone who thinks he has a legitimate business. Kept telling the hosts they needed to go do the research on google and that the spray he sells is not illegal or against the rules because it is natural and none of his clients (or products) have ever failed a test.

Sum total : he sounded like what I imagine a male stripper would sound like.
And what exactly would that be? Matthew Mcconaughey? "Alright, Alright, Alright..."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This seems pretty simple to me being in the advertising and marketing business.
This guy associates his product with the most successful sports teams and individuals.
His allegations create immediate controversy.
He may not be telling one ounce of truth or very little truth but the media grabs the story and runs with it.
By the time the dust settles and little if anything comes out of the original allegations he has received about 15 to 20 million dollars worth of free publicity for his product.
There's no telling how many hundreds or thousands of weight lifters or other non-collegiate athletic types will stock up with his products in an effort to get bigger and stronger.
Ruthless yes. scum baggy yes, but effective just the same.
I really think that's all he's trying to accomplish.
sip

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Considering the NCAA and the Miami debacle ... seriously... this should be a non-issue!!! I cannot even believe we are talking about Deer Antler spray ... and more annoyed that ND and others think we are going to have to vacate wins over this. Unreal!!
Please tell me this will be over soon and I can continue to celebrate our 15th championship and stop hearing all the nonsense.
Every year .. just gotta be something controversial!!!! UGH!!
The problem here is that the accusation is the thing that sticks.

My nephew is in high school. He said, "Uncle Bruce, is it true Bama players are using steroids?"

The only way this will truly go away is for something bigger to come along, like the NCAA issuing a LOI to Auburn.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At this point, what we're doing with this thread is helping with negative PR by our enemies/rivals. We'll open it back up when something significant turns up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.