Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Performance non-enhancing drugs?
More like just non-drugs, period. Both HGH and the IGH-1 the liver forms from it are large peptides, much too large to be absorbed topically or orally. If it's ingested, the stomach simply digests it. The only efficacious use is by injection. However, in animal studies, IGF-1 between species has not shown to be efficacious - too much molecular dissimilarity, so there's no good reason to think that deer IGF-1 would work in humans, or, for that matter, in other species of deer. Chimpanzee HGH might work, but they don't make it easy to harvest by growing antlers...

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
More like just non-drugs, period. Both HGH and the IGH-1 the liver forms from it are large peptides, much too large to be absorbed topically or orally. If it's ingested, the stomach simply digests it. The only efficacious use is by injection. However, in animal studies, IGF-1 between species has not shown to be efficacious - too much molecular dissimilarity, so there's no good reason to think that deer IGF-1 would work in humans, or, for that matter, in other species of deer. Chimpanzee HGH might work, but they don't make it easy to harvest by growing antlers...
Well, I heard the barn set up a lab to try extracting sheep IGF-1 because... well, you know.

But it didn't turn out like they expected and they ended up going 3-9, firing their head coach and getting some trick play running high school coach to replace him.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Does anyone else find it odd that the individuals that he names have been on competitive winning teams or having outstanding seasons (i.e. Ray Lewis, Bama, Georgia LSU Auburn in 2010) but doesn't drop the names of any players on a 2-10 team?? Seems too much like a "hey I gotta plan to get free PR for my company" ruse to me and it's not the first time he's been in the news and associated with (at that time) "winning" individuals. Repeat pattern.........I recall reading he has been sued multiple times over his "products." Overall pretty shady dude with a need for media attention for his "amazing innovative products." Move along.........
Rick and Bubba were talking about this guy this morning. Said that they had been around him and he was a very pushy and very strange person. He would try and get them to allow advertising on their show and he had told them all of these teams that were using his stuff. Everytime a team won that was alledgedly using his stuff he would tell them that they won because of his stuff. They were saying that when one of the teams lost they would bring it up to him and he made excuses as to why they lost. The losing had nothing to do with his stuff but everything to do with their winning. Speedy actually said that this guy was the only person he had ever considered getting a restraining order on.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Rick and Bubba were talking about this guy this morning. Said that they had been around him and he was a very pushy and very strange person. He would try and get them to allow advertising on their show and he had told them all of these teams that were using his stuff. Everytime a team won that was alledgedly using his stuff he would tell them that they won because of his stuff. They were saying that when one of the teams lost they would bring it up to him and he made excuses as to why they lost. The losing had nothing to do with his stuff but everything to do with their winning. Speedy actually said that this guy was the only person he had ever considered getting a restraining order on.
Sounds like he hasn't changed much in the last 15 years or so.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Heard the guy on the radio today. His argument was, swear to God,

1. I gave the chips to a couple of LSU defenders before the 2012 regular season game.
2. LSU won.
3. Clearly, they won because of the chips.

This guy gives snake oil salesmen a bad name.

JunctionBoy

Scout Team
May 8, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm not worried in the slightest about any of this...

1) UA is not going to be facing any sort of sanctions, because the compliance department has done their due diligence for the past 3-4 years by sending cease and desist letters.
2) Not one Bama player has tested positive. And to my understanding, the NCAA can't do anything without a positive drug test. Even if there are videos, any lawyer worth a damn will be able to say it doesn't prove anything since there were no positive drug tests.

Anyway, based on the aforementioned points, nothing can really be done to Alabama. UA may choose to suspend a player or two if they have reason to believe they might have done something, but the NCAA can't do anything without proof.

Unless you have concrete evidence of wrong doing, nothing is going to happen. Look at Cam-gate. It's safe to assume something probably happened, but nobody can prove it.

AT WORST, I can see individual player penalties resulting from this. But I just don't see how the athletic department would face any violations/sanctions since its well documented that they were on top of SWATS the entire time.

This entire thing is a NON-ISSUE. REMEMBER, serious sanctions happen when the AD knows about these things and ALLOWS them to go on.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is going to drag on forever. The media is gonna blow it here soon, and then there will be another investigation for nothing, time, money and resources wasted...
It's already been investigated both by UA and the NCAA and no action was taken, based on the points I've been making over and over and over. There will not be another investigation. As for the media, they really forced action on Cam, didn't they? However if you guys want to worry yourselves to death over nothing, be my guest...

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'm not worried in the slightest about any of this...

1) UA is not going to be facing any sort of sanctions, because the compliance department has done their due diligence for the past 3-4 years by sending cease and desist letters.
2) Not one Bama player has tested positive. And to my understanding, the NCAA can't do anything without a positive drug test. Even if there are videos, any lawyer worth a damn will be able to say it doesn't prove anything since there were no positive drug tests.

Anyway, based on the aforementioned points, nothing can really be done to Alabama. UA may choose to suspend a player or two if they have reason to believe they might have done something, but the NCAA can't do anything without proof.

Unless you have concrete evidence of wrong doing, nothing is going to happen. Look at Cam-gate. It's safe to assume something probably happened, but nobody can prove it.

AT WORST, I can see individual player penalties resulting from this. But I just don't see how the athletic department would face any violations/sanctions since its well documented that they were on top of SWATS the entire time.

This entire thing is a NON-ISSUE. REMEMBER, serious sanctions happen when the AD knows about these things and ALLOWS them to go on.
The NCAA can do whatever it wants. There is precedence they will ignore their own rules.

JunctionBoy

Scout Team
May 8, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Difference is, media will make it an issue.
IMO the only way this becomes an issue is if ALOT more evidence comes up that reveals a MUCH bigger issue. But the evidence as it stands right now is miniscule. As I said, I think the worst that can happen at this point is an individual player or two getting suspensions by UA. With no failed drug tests to go on, the NCAA can't do anything. Furthermore, there is already scientific evidence out there suggesting this spray does absolutely nothing if it is orally ingested.

Anyway, the NCAA hammers schools that are negligent, and based on the evidence we have right now, UA has been on top of this thing from the very beginning.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
IMO the only way this becomes an issue is if ALOT more evidence comes up that reveals a MUCH bigger issue. But the evidence as it stands right now is miniscule. As I said, I think the worst that can happen at this point is an individual player or two getting suspensions by UA. With no failed drug tests to go on, the NCAA can't do anything. Furthermore, there is already scientific evidence out there suggesting this spray does absolutely nothing if it is orally ingested.

Anyway, the NCAA hammers schools that are negligent, and based on the evidence we have right now, UA has been on top of this thing from the very beginning.
There can't be a failed drug test when there is no drug. Since IGF-1 cannot be delivered via spray, there can be no drug - period, end of story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.