Link: SI article implies that Bama football players used illegal substances (S.W.A.T.S.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
18-22 year olds can be really gullible. hell, most adults are gullible. that's why snake oil has always been a profitable venture.

i have seen a ton of adults wearing these bracelets. everyone wants a quick and easy "solution" to their "problems". i bet these guys also extol the virtues of ear wax candles, detox "diets", reflexology, homeopathic remedies and whatever that crap is that "detoxes" you through the soles of your feet.
From all the pro-wrestling I've watched over the years, I could have been a fantastic snake-oil salesman... especially in this state.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So now ESPN is saying SI says Alabama, Aubarn and LSU all met with Key's company... Hmmm...

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
Again, growth factor of any sort would not help taken before a game. It would only help taken over a period of time, with resistance training. Also, spraying it on like an anabolic steroid product is laughable. You have to actually inject it to get any meaningful amount in your bloodstream. The Federal Trade Commission has ruled that the spray products to have no efficacy, which is why the NCAA investigated and dropped the matter...

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
There is no way all these players are buying this stuff. Going on tv and saying these things would be selling out his clients and all other athletes from buying it from him. Nobody likes a snitch. He would be committing career suicide. He give them a sample and they didn't make the sales. He is getting them back for not buying it.

It's very telling that the time they all took them was before there biggest game. He saying, it's not the athlete it's my products.
At this point, he doesn't want more athletes, he wants average guys who are going to the gym and think the only thing holding them back is not being on X supplement...

Again, growth factor of any sort would not help taken before a game. It would only help taken over a period of time, with resistance training. Also, spraying it on like an anabolic steroid product is laughable. You have to actually inject it to get any meaningful amount in your bloodstream. The Federal Trade Commission has ruled that the spray products to have no efficacy, which is why the NCAA investigated and dropped the matter...
So what you are saying is non story?!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The guy was on JOX this morning throwing names around like no tomorrow. Whether they did anything wrong or they likely dont like their name attached to him at this point. He kept referring to it as his company but in the same breath he repeatedly said X was given this stuff that X did not pay for it. I dont know how you can have a business model by giving away your product but this guy has certainly done a lot of that. It seems obvious to me that not many folks have seen the value in what he is pedding and he was reduced to giving it away just to get going.

Personally, I think these guys need a visit from the authorities with the state pharmacy board in tow to put a little fear into them. Whether legit or not anything done on the black market is not anything to play around with.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The guy was on JOX this morning throwing names around like no tomorrow. Whether they did anything wrong or they likely dont like their name attached to him at this point. He kept referring to it as his company but in the same breath he repeatedly said X was given this stuff that X did not pay for it. I dont know how you can have a business model by giving away your product but this guy has certainly done a lot of that. It seems obvious to me that not many folks have seen the value in what he is pedding and he was reduced to giving it away just to get going.

Personally, I think these guys need a visit from the authorities with the state pharmacy board in tow to put a little fear into them. Whether legit or not anything done on the black market is not anything to play around with.
Since the stuff is totally ineffective, I doubt the pharmacy board can do anything. Possibly theft by deception. Here is an excerpt from a monograph by the US Department of Justice:

According to the National Forensic Laboratory Information System (NFLIS), law enforcement officials submitted 30 hGH items/exhibits to state and local forensic laboratories between 2005 and 2010. Various oral preparations (e.g., sprays and pills) purported to contain hGH are also marketed and distributed. However, hGH is only available in the injectable form. The hGH molecule is too large for absorption across the lining of the oral mucosa and the hormone is digested by the stomach before absorption can occur.
It's speaking of HGH, but the size of the molecules is similar in all mammals. In addition, both the FDA and the FTC have ruled that the sprays are totally ineffective, so this whole matter amounts to a tempest in a teapot...

Lil Bama Lady

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 31, 2006
Heflin, Alabama, United States
Does anyone else find it odd that the individuals that he names have been on competitive winning teams or having outstanding seasons (i.e. Ray Lewis, Bama, Georgia LSU Auburn in 2010) but doesn't drop the names of any players on a 2-10 team?? Seems too much like a "hey I gotta plan to get free PR for my company" ruse to me and it's not the first time he's been in the news and associated with (at that time) "winning" individuals. Repeat pattern.........I recall reading he has been sued multiple times over his "products." Overall pretty shady dude with a need for media attention for his "amazing innovative products." Move along.........

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Since the stuff is totally ineffective, I doubt the pharmacy board can do anything. Possibly theft by deception. Here is an excerpt from a monograph by the US Department of Justice:

It's speaking of HGH, but the size of the molecules is similar in all mammals. In addition, both the FDA and the FTC have ruled that the sprays are totally ineffective, so this whole matter amounts to a tempest in a teapot...
Exactly - the reason it is not detectable in the bloodstream is that it never gets there in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The issue for me is not whether these things were effective or not, but rather, why the players would be receptive to an idea that had the potential to embarrass or discredit their team and all the true hard work they put into practice.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I don't think the S.W.A.T.S. is what gave Alex Watkins great strength and skill, I think it was the Smirnoff Vodka he had sitting over his left shoulder during the interview!
I noticed that, too. Geez. The kid was a GREAT writer, though. His "Road to 14" poetry piece is awesome and I have it saved in video and typed out form on my computer.

As for the douchebag snake oil salesman...may the fleas of 1000 camels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.