Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: This image is from 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    There is nothing wrong about the "block A with the elephant stepping through it" Those of enjoying '78 and '79 NCs think they are pretty cool.
    My favorite symbol.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

There is nothing wrong about the "block A with the elephant stepping through it" Those of enjoying '78 and '79 NCs think they are pretty cool.
    If you are referring to Bruce's post, I believe he was saying that the late 90s, early 00s logo was terrible (which it was). The one with the block "bama" and the elephant head and shoulders creepily staring over the top.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I grew up on the logo in the late 90s, why don't we use this one anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by bamagradinATL View Post
    LOL, they need to do more research - image on page one shows CPB wearing a cap with the logo from '58...
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer15 View Post
    I grew up on the logo in the late 90s, why don't we use this one anymore?
    Because it was awful. It's what we had when I was there, and I hated it. I much prefer the older and newer options. The script A is my favorite, though. Like our uniforms, it is classic and easy to identify. More than perhaps any other school, Alabama is about tradition. The late 90's logo felt like Alabama was trying to be "cool" and "modern." Alabama doesn't need to be modern to be cool.

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocCrimson View Post
    Because it was awful. It's what we had when I was there, and I hated it. I much prefer the older and newer options. The script A is my favorite, though. Like our uniforms, it is classic and easy to identify. More than perhaps any other school, Alabama is about tradition. The late 90's logo felt like Alabama was trying to be "cool" and "modern." Alabama doesn't need to be modern to be cool.
    Gotta old hat my granddad used to wear with the Elephant stepping through the A, I still wear it till this day.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    LOL, they need to do more research - image on page one shows CPB wearing a cap with the logo from '58...
    That probably means that Bama didn't trademark and designate the script A as an alternate logo until 1962. Doesn't mean they didn't use it before 1962. Take for example the interlocking SC used by both South Carolina and Southern California. South Carolina used it before the University of Southern California was founded, but the trademark belongs to Southern Cal because South Carolina failed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    That probably means that Bama didn't trademark and designate the script A as an alternate logo until 1962. Doesn't mean they didn't use it before 1962.
    Yah., could be. I'm too lazy to look up the trademark.

Take for example the interlocking SC used by both South Carolina and Southern California. South Carolina used it before the University of Southern California was founded, but the trademark belongs to Southern Cal because South Carolina failed to do so.
    Wonder why South Carolina hasn't sued - from what I've seen showing prior use generally makes trademark challenges a slam-dunk.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The origins of script lettering are as mysterious as the origins of the alphabet. As we take a journey back in time and look at what we do know about the beginnings of the alphabet, we can then start to make some educated inferences with regards to the script letters that we know today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_alphabet

The origins of the alphabet are unknown, but there are several theories as to how it developed. One popular proposal — the Proto-Sinaitic theory[1] — is that the history of the alphabet began in Ancient Egypt, more than a millennium into the history of writing. Under this theory, the alphabet was invented to represent the language of Semitic workers in Egypt (see Middle Bronze Age alphabets), and was at least influenced by the alphabetic principles of the Egyptian hieratic script. If correct, nearly all alphabets in the world today either descend directly from this development or were inspired by its design.[2]The most widely used alphabet today is the Latin alphabet.[3] It derives from the Greek, the first true alphabet in that it consistently assigns letters to both consonants and vowels.[4] The Greek alphabet in turn was derived from the Phoenician alphabet, which was anabjad – a system where each symbol usually stands for a consonant.

Pre-history

Two scripts are well attested from before the end of the fourth millennium BCE: Mesopotamian cuneiform and Egyptian hieroglyphs. Both were well known in the part of the Middle East that produced the first widely used alphabet, the Phoenician. There are signs that cuneiform was developing alphabetic properties in some of the languages it was adapted for, as was seen again later in the Old Persian cuneiform script, but it now appears these developments were a sideline and not ancestral to the alphabet.[citation needed] The Byblos syllabary has suggestive graphic similarities to both hieratic Egyptian and to the Phoenician alphabet, but as the Byblos syllabary is undeciphered, little can be said about its role, if any, in the history of the alphabet.

BamaNation Third Team BamaMcGowin's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Obviously Atlanta is younger that ours. As far as our newer logos go, being young during the 90's, I was very into the logos. I paid a lot of attention to them and when they changed. I always wanted the official script A baseball cap that the coaches wore. The old "block A with the elephant steeping through it" was in of course until about 1997-98. It was changed to a variety of different logos.
    I have a game program from 98 that shows the main logo as the elephant over the block Alabama script, but it also has several other that were our "secondary" logos as it called them. One of the secondaries was a script A roundel with the older "Atlanta Braves looking A" (which is shown on the link in the above posts) in the middle instead of our current A. This downward swoosh A: looks very similar to that older one from the 90's before the current A with the upward swoosh.

BamaNation First Team wishbonedays's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMcGowin View Post
    One of the secondaries was a script A roundel with the older "Atlanta Braves looking A" (which is shown on the link in the above posts) in the middle instead of our current A. This downward swoosh A: looks very similar to that older one from the 90's before the current A with the upward swoosh.
    I agree...the ones in the mid 90's were awful...I had several caps with varying degrees of these...I prefer the older one's from the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know why we ever went away from the because they were fantastic.

22 30
    "If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't ask you to try."
    Coach Paul Bryant, telling his players of the switch to the wishbone, Fall camp 1971.

This is the logo I hate ----

By contrast, I love this one ----