Question: how old is the script A

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: This image is from 1958.

LOL, they need to do more research - image on page one shows CPB wearing a cap with the logo from '58...
That probably means that Bama didn't trademark and designate the script A as an alternate logo until 1962. Doesn't mean they didn't use it before 1962. Take for example the interlocking SC used by both South Carolina and Southern California. South Carolina used it before the University of Southern California was founded, but the trademark belongs to Southern Cal because South Carolina failed to do so.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

That probably means that Bama didn't trademark and designate the script A as an alternate logo until 1962. Doesn't mean they didn't use it before 1962.
Yah., could be. I'm too lazy to look up the trademark.

Take for example the interlocking SC used by both South Carolina and Southern California. South Carolina used it before the University of Southern California was founded, but the trademark belongs to Southern Cal because South Carolina failed to do so.
Wonder why South Carolina hasn't sued - from what I've seen showing prior use generally makes trademark challenges a slam-dunk.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

The origins of script lettering are as mysterious as the origins of the alphabet. As we take a journey back in time and look at what we do know about the beginnings of the alphabet, we can then start to make some educated inferences with regards to the script letters that we know today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_alphabet

The origins of the alphabet are unknown, but there are several theories as to how it developed. One popular proposal — the Proto-Sinaitic theory[SUP][1][/SUP] — is that the history of the alphabet began in Ancient Egypt, more than a millennium into the history of writing. Under this theory, the alphabet was invented to represent the language of Semitic workers in Egypt (see Middle Bronze Age alphabets), and was at least influenced by the alphabetic principles of the Egyptian hieratic script. If correct, nearly all alphabets in the world today either descend directly from this development or were inspired by its design.[SUP][2][/SUP]The most widely used alphabet today is the Latin alphabet.[SUP][3][/SUP] It derives from the Greek, the first true alphabet in that it consistently assigns letters to both consonants and vowels.[SUP][4][/SUP] The Greek alphabet in turn was derived from the Phoenician alphabet, which was anabjad – a system where each symbol usually stands for a consonant.

Pre-history

Two scripts are well attested from before the end of the fourth millennium BCE: Mesopotamian cuneiform and Egyptian hieroglyphs. Both were well known in the part of the Middle East that produced the first widely used alphabet, the Phoenician. There are signs that cuneiform was developing alphabetic properties in some of the languages it was adapted for, as was seen again later in the Old Persian cuneiform script, but it now appears these developments were a sideline and not ancestral to the alphabet.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The Byblos syllabary has suggestive graphic similarities to both hieratic Egyptian and to the Phoenician alphabet, but as the Byblos syllabary is undeciphered, little can be said about its role, if any, in the history of the alphabet.

BamaMcGowin

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 8, 2012
Corydon, Iowa

Obviously Atlanta is younger that ours. As far as our newer logos go, being young during the 90's, I was very into the logos. I paid a lot of attention to them and when they changed. I always wanted the official script A baseball cap that the coaches wore. The old "block A with the elephant steeping through it" was in of course until about 1997-98. It was changed to a variety of different logos.
I have a game program from 98 that shows the main logo as the elephant over the block Alabama script, but it also has several other that were our "secondary" logos as it called them. One of the secondaries was a script A roundel with the older "Atlanta Braves looking A" (which is shown on the link in the above posts) in the middle instead of our current A. This downward swoosh A: :BigA: looks very similar to that older one from the 90's before the current A with the upward swoosh.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com

One of the secondaries was a script A roundel with the older "Atlanta Braves looking A" (which is shown on the link in the above posts) in the middle instead of our current A. This downward swoosh A: :BigA: looks very similar to that older one from the 90's before the current A with the upward swoosh.
I agree...the ones in the mid 90's were awful...I had several caps with varying degrees of these...I prefer the older one's from the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know why we ever went away from the because they were fantastic.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama

There is nothing wrong about the "block A with the elephant stepping through it" Those of enjoying '78 and '79 NCs think they are pretty cool.
This is the logo I hate ----

By contrast, I love this one ----

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/******baby/BamaLogo.gif

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The script A with the circle around it became official in 2001 or 2002.
It replaced that dreadful block ALABAMA with the elephant over it.
The famous A with the elephant tromping through it was retired around 1994 or so.
I've got a couple of shirts with this logo, I hadn't realized they were that old. I still like them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There is nothing wrong about the "block A with the elephant stepping through it" Those of enjoying '78 and '79 NCs think they are pretty cool.
This is the logo I hate ----

By contrast, I love this one ----

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/******baby/BamaLogo.gif
I loved the old logo because it reminded me of the era when I came to love Alabama football with a passion!

I didn't like the cheesy one from the mid 90's.

When we started using the script A I wished we would have gone back to the old logo but now I think the script A is just perfect!!!

Who said Bama can't change some things? :wink:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

Speaking of script A, I remember the white A as the midfield logo, and "ALABAMA" and "CRIMSON TIDE" in the endzone but no red surrounding it.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Yah., could be. I'm too lazy to look up the trademark.

Wonder why South Carolina hasn't sued - from what I've seen showing prior use generally makes trademark challenges a slam-dunk.
Apparently both schools developed the logos independent of each other. There was no copying, Southern Cal just trademarked it first. Gamecocks believe they were first, but it's not crystal clear who was first. Southern Cal actually sued South Carolina to force them to stop using the interlocking SC.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Love the old logo, hate the newer one. I have a few T shirts with the old logo.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

I feel sorry for the numbers 13 and 14. They didn't get represented on nearly as many memorabilia Bama helmets as the number 12 did. It ain't fair.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN

15 should be...should be very nervous.

Look at the bright side, 15, you won't ever have to worry about being mentioned in any documentation referencing national championships for Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, or anyone else for that matter.

So let's call it even and just be happy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.