How Many Bama National Titles In Your Lifetime?(And Pick Your Favorite)

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Same claim as several others, eleven in my lifetime, ten that I remember. To me 1961 is the most memorable since I remember all too well the gradual decline under Red Drew and the disaster that followed when Drew was replaced by Whitworth. Plus that like others in this string I knew some of the players on that team and went to the 1962 Sugar Bowl game that clinched the championship. Its been a nice run albeit there have been some down times too.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I was like 7 for the 92 title, and that season is what made me a huge Bama fan. I remember seeing the build up for that championship and the idea that Miami was going to kill us had me buying in, but with hope. It was also very special to see all of the Bama Fever in the air going towards the Miami game... and my Dad took me to a big party to watch the game. The rest is history, and it was a night I'll never forget.

2011 was very special too. I mean we should've been the team that was in competition for greatest ever, and we went into the game with a lot of people believing LSU was that team after their crazy schedule. To destroy them systematically in what was sorta a close and competitive blowout was fun for me.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
7 in my lifetime - 1 about every 5.9 years

'73: No memory of this one

'78: Special for being my first and the Goal Line Stand

'79: Thrashed Arkansas. I wanted to be M.O. (Was this the game #42 had a fumble bounce right off the ground into his hands and he kept running only to be called back?)

'92: Proved to everyone we could win in the post-Bryant era. Funny story - The whole family watched the game at my mom's house. When G.T. stripped the ball I jumped up and accidentally put my hand through the LR ceiling. Couldn't believe she wasn't even mad! :)

'09: 17 years is too long, and much longer than 13, and we had so many down years during that span that winning it all again was very special and appreciated. I was so pumped for that game I might have been able to run out on the field before coming to my senses.

'11: Revenge!!! And time to be processed.

'12: Picking a favorite NC is like picking a favorite child. Is it the most polished one? The most perfect over time? The most well-rounded one? The last one? The first? The one with the most potential, but maybe has made a mistake or two? '12 is my "favorite" for several reasons. Beating ND 42-14. Wow! Goodness gracious do I hate​ ND! Vengeance is mine! Back-to-back! 3 of 4! Establishing a Dynasty! So many reasons to love this one!

All that said, '13 may...just may...turn out to be my favorite. I sure hope so!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have been around for 10 of our NC's. I was only 2 months old for the 1st of the 10 so don't remember anything about it or many of the 60's N.C. My favorite is 1978 with the goal line stand against Penn St. with 2011 a close 2nd (this was the most dominant Bama team I have ever seen).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My mother was pregnant with me during the 1966 season, when we should have won, does that count?

1973-No memory and given how it ended, I'm glad I don't. I don't like claiming this one anyway.

1978-Gold line stand, dampened a bit by having to share it with USC, the only team to beat us.

1979-Bryant's last and first perfect season I saw.

1992-First post Bryant title, more special by the dominating upset of Miami.

2009-We reach the promised land after what felt like 40 years in the wilderness.

2011-Revenge against LSU and completing the Barn's bologna sandwich.

2012-Beat down of the Irish helped relieve years of frustration.

All have their good points, but I'll say 1992. For the Bryant ones, 1979.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
10, my favorite being Bear's last one ('79). But all of them have been sweet. This last one ranks right up there with '79 because it was ND. Too many disappointing loses at the hands of the Irish. Especially with the NC on the line.
Roll, National Champions, Roll...A'ight!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ten for me, though I wasn't quite 3 in January of 1962. I have memory of 1964 on.

1992 was my favorite because it was vindication, and because of the pre-game conduct of the Miami team and fans, and commentary of the talking heads and ink-stained wretches.

While there's no doubt the 2011 defense was the best in absolute terms, Greatest Of All Time is a hard one to apply across the eras. The game and the athletes have just evolved so much over the decades. Fortunately, we've had great defenses in all of them.

1992 was pretty sporty, all the more so because the mediocre offense put so much pressure on them.

Also, there was one in the Wade era that gave up 13 points in the whole season.

1961 and 1979 would have to be in the conversation for their time as well.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
..Let's see who the elder statesman is around here :)

Personally...I've witnessed ten. 61-64-65-73-78-79-92-09-011 and 012.

That's one national title every 5.7 years of my life. Not a bad average!

My favorite would be 92. That was just a very special year.

65 was one of my favorites as well because we got totally screwed by a blown call in the Georgia game(18-17), Tied Tennessee when Stabler intentionally threw the ball out of bounds to kill the clock on fourth and goal thinking it was third down, and then two or three teams had to lose on New Years for us to have a prayer and they all did. Then we dominated a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange Bowl that outweighed us by 35 pounds or so per man. That was a very magical day.

You guys?

sip
I count 10 in my life also. I am 62 today and the '92 title is my favorite as well although '79 is not so bad.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Every one since 1961. Couldn't name a favorite. I was too young to remember 1961 but like the question said, it occured in my lifetime.

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
7 since I was born in 1971. Favorite was easily 1992. I was stationed in Germany and no one gave us a chance vs Miami. I had to stay up til 2 or 3 am to see the game and when I went out for flag detail I was intoxicated enough to stand at attention and salute the flag as I sung Sweet Home Alabama at the top of my lungs. My buddies were rolling and the officer in charge was very kind about my lack of sobriety while in uniform. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Doubling back, I've got to say 1961. I went to Bama in June, 1957. The football program was in the pits and the basketball program was approaching it. I went because of the C&BA school, not for football. I think we won one game my freshman year. To see the Bear come back and what it meant to my dad, just before he died, was something not to be matched. At the time, we hadn't won a title since 1941, and to be honest, we really hadn't even thought about claiming 1941 at that point, so it had been a long, long time, and it was not expected by any of us who were students at the time. After the 1958 UA/AU game, I ran into an old HS friend who'd gone to AU in the parking lot at Legion. We made that one close. He said he wouldn't be surprised if we won a NC in the next couple of years. (They had just one their tainted, split championship the year before.) I just laughed and said "Not likely." I badly underestimated Coach Bryant...

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
'And here comes LeeRoy' as the announcer at Legion Field (anybody remember his name?) said as he ran back on the field for the goal line stand to preserve the shutout of the boogs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Pepper Simpson ?

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
Born in 68 so I could technically claim 7 but I'm gonna claim 6. Most of you know I grew up in Chicago but my Dad loved Coach Bryant and we watched the 79 Sugar Bowl. Dad loved the goal line stand. Favorite was 92 because I flew from Atlanta to N.O. and the Miami fans were intolerable. I went to Bama 86-90 (Perkins, Curry) and we lost to the Barn every year. Was sweet to be "back on top"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Born in '77.
So (technically speaking) '78, '79, '92, '09, '11, '12.

I think '92 was phenomenal - that team being such an underdog and dominating the 'Canes was awesome feeling. Plus, I was a freshman in high school and that was really the first championship I could remember.

When the Tide was going through the lean years leading up to '09, I always told myself I would attend the next championship game 'Bama played in.
Well, the good Lord willing, I was able to go to Pasadena, New Orleans and Miami. It's been a special handful of years for us Tidefans and it's amazing to be a part of something so unique. I'm hoping we play in Phoenix so I can say I've been to all four BCS championship venues.
Roll Tide guys and great thread, 'Sip!

Last edited:

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Born in '54 , so 10 for me . '92 was special but so was " The Goal Line Stand ". I also claim '66 . We stomped Nebraska in the Sugar bowl and ND and MSU played to a tie . My dad was in the Army and we were living in Alaska . The game was not broadcast on tv. We listened on radio . My dad wrote Coach Bryant and asked for a copy of the game film to show to his batallion . Coach Bryant sent the film and my dad had it shown in the post gym . The gym was full and there was a lot of cheering going on . The men knew the Old Man was a big Bama fan ! It was such a hit , every batallion on post got to see it that week . I watched it five times ! I still have the letter Coach wrote my dad and enclosed with the film ! rtr...

Last edited:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
If you're talking about "being alive" for a title, I can claim all of them under Coaches Bryant, Stallings, and Saban. But I tend to think in terms of those beginning with my freshman year in '73.

My favorite one probably is 1978. The season began with my meeting my future wife in the opener against Nebraska and ended with my sitting in the Superdome watching us beat Penn State. But there's no such thing as a bad championship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.