Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team WoodyInPelham's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Many Bama National Titles In Your Lifetime?(And Pick Your Favorite)

Let's see. I've been around for the last seven titles. My favorites have been the most recent three. For those who know Alabama football history pretty well, the Tide has suffered a lot at the hands of Texas and ND over the years. Both if them have cost Bama numerous games and national titles. What has been most amazing to me is that not only has Coach Saban built a dynasty, but he has managed to exorcise some major demons for the Bama Nation. Under his leadership, Bama has beaten Texas and ND (in dominant fashion) on the biggest stage possible. He also managed to deliver a Heisman trophy winner. These last four years of excellence have been one huge cathartic experience for many older Tide fans. Each of these last three titles has been a "one up" for me. They just keep getting better!

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyInPelham View Post
    Let's see. I've been around for the last seven titles. My favorites have been the most recent three. For those who know Alabama football history pretty well, the Tide has suffered a lot at the hands of Texas and ND over the years. Both if them have cost Bama numerous games and national titles. What has been most amazing to me is that not only has Coach Saban built a dynasty, but he has managed to exorcise some major demons for the Bama Nation. Under his leadership, Bama has beaten Texas and ND (in dominant fashion) on the biggest stage possible. He also managed to deliver a Heisman trophy winner. These last four years of excellence have been one huge cathartic experience for many older Tide fans. Each of these last three titles has been a "one up" for me. They just keep getting better!
    I agree. It's building. Each time, I think "Surely not again..."
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

There have been seven in my lifetime. That is one every six years. My son has seen three in his so he is seeing a title every four years. All of them have been great, but I really don't remember the 1973 season. It is still nice to claim it when talking to the aubs or tn fans. My favorite since I have to choose would have to be the last one vs Notre Dame. Reading the mess they were writing on here really made the victory a sweet one.

BamaNation Third Team WoodyInPelham's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, Earle. I can't wait to see how the next one plays out!

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

One of my earliest memories of Bama football are the bowl losses to ND, so this year's championship is particularly sweet. It's probably a tie with the 92 team, though. At the time, I was in grad school at Penn State, working in a Champs Sporting Goods. The entire runup to the game, all I heard was that we were going to get slaughtered, and we even got a massive shipment of Miami championship gear the week before the game.

I walked into work the day after the game with a big smile on my face and asked if I could buy some of that Miami gear.

The jerks never did get in any Bama gear.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates "Hotter than Dog Days here!!!"
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I've been around for 10, 1961-1964-1965-1973-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011 and 2012. 1979 because it was Coach Bryants last, 1992 because we were extreme underdogs, 2009 was like coming out from the desert, but 2012 takes it because we humiliated Notre Dame
    "WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE DOWN THERE? DON'T Y'ALL TAKE YOUR FOOTBALL SERIOUSLY?" -- Coach Bryant, upon calling Auburn at 6 AM only to find out that none of the coaches were in their offices yet!

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Seven......favorite was .......was....was.....i cant decide so I'll say 92, 09, 11 and 12... All because of who we played in each game.....
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

BamaNation First Team BayouBama75's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Pensive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    ..Let's see who the elder statesman is around here

Personally...I've witnessed ten. 61-64-65-73-78-79-92-09-011 and 012.

That's one national title every 5.7 years of my life. Not a bad average!

My favorite would be 92. That was just a very special year.

65 was one of my favorites as well because we got totally screwed by a blown call in the Georgia game(18-17), Tied Tennessee when Stabler intentionally threw the ball out of bounds to kill the clock on fourth and goal thinking it was third down, and then two or three teams had to lose on New Years for us to have a prayer and they all did. Then we dominated a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange Bowl that outweighed us by 35 pounds or so per man. That was a very magical day.

You guys?

sip
    I have the same. 1973 was in school for that one and 2009 meant we were back
    Last edited by BayouBama75; January 29th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Same claim as several others, eleven in my lifetime, ten that I remember. To me 1961 is the most memorable since I remember all too well the gradual decline under Red Drew and the disaster that followed when Drew was replaced by Whitworth. Plus that like others in this string I knew some of the players on that team and went to the 1962 Sugar Bowl game that clinched the championship. Its been a nice run albeit there have been some down times too.

Post Thanks / Like

I was like 7 for the 92 title, and that season is what made me a huge Bama fan. I remember seeing the build up for that championship and the idea that Miami was going to kill us had me buying in, but with hope. It was also very special to see all of the Bama Fever in the air going towards the Miami game... and my Dad took me to a big party to watch the game. The rest is history, and it was a night I'll never forget.

2011 was very special too. I mean we should've been the team that was in competition for greatest ever, and we went into the game with a lot of people believing LSU was that team after their crazy schedule. To destroy them systematically in what was sorta a close and competitive blowout was fun for me.

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

7 in my lifetime - 1 about every 5.9 years

'73: No memory of this one

'78: Special for being my first and the Goal Line Stand

'79: Thrashed Arkansas. I wanted to be M.O. (Was this the game #42 had a fumble bounce right off the ground into his hands and he kept running only to be called back?)

'92: Proved to everyone we could win in the post-Bryant era. Funny story - The whole family watched the game at my mom's house. When G.T. stripped the ball I jumped up and accidentally put my hand through the LR ceiling. Couldn't believe she wasn't even mad!

'09: 17 years is too long, and much longer than 13, and we had so many down years during that span that winning it all again was very special and appreciated. I was so pumped for that game I might have been able to run out on the field before coming to my senses.

'11: Revenge!!! And time to be processed.

'12: Picking a favorite NC is like picking a favorite child. Is it the most polished one? The most perfect over time? The most well-rounded one? The last one? The first? The one with the most potential, but maybe has made a mistake or two? '12 is my "favorite" for several reasons. Beating ND 42-14. Wow! Goodness gracious do I hate​ ND! Vengeance is mine! Back-to-back! 3 of 4! Establishing a Dynasty! So many reasons to love this one!

All that said, '13 may...just may...turn out to be my favorite. I sure hope so!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have been around for 10 of our NC's. I was only 2 months old for the 1st of the 10 so don't remember anything about it or many of the 60's N.C. My favorite is 1978 with the goal line stand against Penn St. with 2011 a close 2nd (this was the most dominant Bama team I have ever seen).

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My mother was pregnant with me during the 1966 season, when we should have won, does that count?

1973-No memory and given how it ended, I'm glad I don't. I don't like claiming this one anyway.

1978-Gold line stand, dampened a bit by having to share it with USC, the only team to beat us.

1979-Bryant's last and first perfect season I saw.

1992-First post Bryant title, more special by the dominating upset of Miami.

2009-We reach the promised land after what felt like 40 years in the wilderness.

2011-Revenge against LSU and completing the Barn's bologna sandwich.

2012-Beat down of the Irish helped relieve years of frustration.

All have their good points, but I'll say 1992. For the Bryant ones, 1979.