How Many Bama National Titles In Your Lifetime?(And Pick Your Favorite)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Well, I was only 8 during the 1992 championship....and I wasn't living in Bama or knew who the crimson tide were. Haha, so that doesn't count for me.

Out of the last three, hard to choose. I would say 2009, because it was my "first" championship as a fan.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I was born in '46 (making me an AQ of the OFC, I suppose), but cognitive of '61 forward. Total of 10, not counting the '45/'46 team.

"61 was my fav because it was CPB's first at Bama. Great, great team.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
7 - 73, 78, 79, 92, 09, 11 and 12 . 79 or 92 would be tops for me . 79 was simply an absolute machine on both sides of the ball , but 92 was special because that was possibly the worst offensive unit to ever win a title .
Seven here also. But I'm torn between '92, in which we supposedly had no chance AT ALL, and '09, the culmination of an inevitable return to glory after 17 years in the wilderness. Both were fantastic and special seasons.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
6 for me///78,79,92,09,11,12.....92 had to be my favorite....we were the biggest underdogs, 12 years since last title, that year we showed up, then showed out!!! loved it!!
92 was very special. I've posted this before, but you could just feel Bear in the building (Superdome where he won his last two NCs) that night. No way he was going to not see his man Bebes and his beloved Bama win that NC.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Brownnoser!!!
;)
I thought you might have some of the same memories, air raid practice, blackout curtains, etc. I think my memories of WWII are so sharp because of having two older brothers serving. One was in SE England in the 8th Air Force. The other was flying sub patrol off SE Florida. So, we had two blue stars hanging in the front window. Every night, we got down on our knees and prayed we wouldn't have to change those stars to gold. That sort of thing tends to stick with you. of course, I was a bit prickly as a little tike. When told I needed to get under the bed when the air raids were called, I had a habit of asking if the Germans really had bombers who could reach us. The answer came back that, no, not now, but they might some day. Then, later, came the Cold War and the "duck and cover" drills in school. Two whole generations were marked indelibly...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was born in 1969, so I've been here for 7, but I only remember six. The first Tide game I ever saw was the 79 Sugar Bowl. I saw the goal line stand but I didn't grasp the significance of it. I do remember thinking "Why don't they pass?" Hey, I was nine.

My favorite - by far - was 1992, and I think that's because it was somewhat unexpected. When we were 6-0, all anyone could do was say we had barely beaten La Tech and only led Tulane 6-0 at the half. Keep in mind the previous year we had won our final six games all by a TD or less, including a 10-7 rout of Memphis, so we were not highly regarded at the time. In fact, the October 31 SportsCenter literally mocked us and brought Corky Simpson's name out as "the lone dissenter" from the split votes insisting Washington and Miami would blow us off the field. In fact, we were lumped in with Toledo and other unbeatens.

Then Washington lost.

And the new story was how Florida State deserved a rematch. It was a lot like 2011, with everyone saying we were undeserving. One big difference: unlike Oklahoma State last year, we did not lose to 2-8-1 LSU in Red Stick. When we beat Florida to clinch the game, I was high- step dancing around the living room (and I can't dance, folks) singing Fats Domino's "Walking To New Orleans."

Then we heard for four solid weeks that we had no chance.

Then Michael Rogers was injured in a car wreck - so much for no distractions. When we led at the half I was scared - because I'd seen teams not finish off Miami in the second half. But that sequence - starting with Johnson's pick through Teague's strip - was the most fun ten minutes I ever had as a Tide fan.

A buddy of mine - an FSU fan who said Miami would kill us - was at the Orange Bowl where they played Nebraska. He said the stands came alive as the score kept soaring higher - 20-6, 27-6. They were as shocked as anyone.

Let me put it this way - we've been favored in the other five. We were 9-point dogs in 1992.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Born in 73 so I only remember the last 4. I would have to go with 2009 as my favorite it made me feel iike we were truly back after the down years. Not to mention our first win over Texas.

UnNFormedFan

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2009
Mobile
61-64-65-73-78-79-92-09-11 and 12 Although since my birth was in 61, I don't really remember the ones in the 60's as I didn't keep up as my Dad did. I can't say I have a favorite, that is like saying I have a favorite kid or wife...althoguh beating the pants off ND ranks right up there.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I was born in '46 (making me an AQ of the OFC, I suppose), but cognitive of '61 forward. Total of 10, not counting the '45/'46 team.

"61 was my fav because it was CPB's first at Bama. Great, great team.
'And here comes LeeRoy' as the announcer at Legion Field (anybody remember his name?) said as he ran back on the field for the goal line stand to preserve the shutout of the boogs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

WoodyInPelham

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 16, 2002
Helena, AL USA
Let's see. I've been around for the last seven titles. My favorites have been the most recent three. For those who know Alabama football history pretty well, the Tide has suffered a lot at the hands of Texas and ND over the years. Both if them have cost Bama numerous games and national titles. What has been most amazing to me is that not only has Coach Saban built a dynasty, but he has managed to exorcise some major demons for the Bama Nation. Under his leadership, Bama has beaten Texas and ND (in dominant fashion) on the biggest stage possible. He also managed to deliver a Heisman trophy winner. These last four years of excellence have been one huge cathartic experience for many older Tide fans. Each of these last three titles has been a "one up" for me. They just keep getting better!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let's see. I've been around for the last seven titles. My favorites have been the most recent three. For those who know Alabama football history pretty well, the Tide has suffered a lot at the hands of Texas and ND over the years. Both if them have cost Bama numerous games and national titles. What has been most amazing to me is that not only has Coach Saban built a dynasty, but he has managed to exorcise some major demons for the Bama Nation. Under his leadership, Bama has beaten Texas and ND (in dominant fashion) on the biggest stage possible. He also managed to deliver a Heisman trophy winner. These last four years of excellence have been one huge cathartic experience for many older Tide fans. Each of these last three titles has been a "one up" for me. They just keep getting better!
I agree. It's building. Each time, I think "Surely not again..."

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
There have been seven in my lifetime. That is one every six years. My son has seen three in his so he is seeing a title every four years. All of them have been great, but I really don't remember the 1973 season. It is still nice to claim it when talking to the aubs or tn fans. My favorite since I have to choose would have to be the last one vs Notre Dame. Reading the mess they were writing on here really made the victory a sweet one.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
One of my earliest memories of Bama football are the bowl losses to ND, so this year's championship is particularly sweet. It's probably a tie with the 92 team, though. At the time, I was in grad school at Penn State, working in a Champs Sporting Goods. The entire runup to the game, all I heard was that we were going to get slaughtered, and we even got a massive shipment of Miami championship gear the week before the game.

I walked into work the day after the game with a big smile on my face and asked if I could buy some of that Miami gear.

The jerks never did get in any Bama gear. ;)

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
..Let's see who the elder statesman is around here :)

Personally...I've witnessed ten. 61-64-65-73-78-79-92-09-011 and 012.

That's one national title every 5.7 years of my life. Not a bad average!

My favorite would be 92. That was just a very special year.

65 was one of my favorites as well because we got totally screwed by a blown call in the Georgia game(18-17), Tied Tennessee when Stabler intentionally threw the ball out of bounds to kill the clock on fourth and goal thinking it was third down, and then two or three teams had to lose on New Years for us to have a prayer and they all did. Then we dominated a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange Bowl that outweighed us by 35 pounds or so per man. That was a very magical day.

You guys?

sip
I have the same. 1973 was in school for that one and 2009 meant we were back

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.