Link: Daniel Moore doing a Johnny Manziel print...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Daniel Moore doing a Johnny Football print

I bought a framed Daniel Moore print of Tater Tot from when he was at AU for $15.00 and sold it for $50.00. If it was a print of Coach Stallings it would easily brought twice that. Why doesn't he stick to what will sell?
Texas A&M has a huge, devoted fanbase and this past season has gotten them excited about their program and Manziel in particular. I'm willing to bet that the Manziel piece could very well outsell whatever he's done for Alabama this season. Do not underestimate the pure size of their alumni/fanbase.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I haven't followed his case with the university close at all so I'll ask an out of the loop question. What exactly was or is he doing that the university felt the need to sue him?
Overly simplified, but he paid royalties to UA for years and then decided he didn't need to (although he continued to pay royalties to other universities). UA decided it had to protect its trademarks (if you don't, you lose them) and sued. From there, the case went off into the esoterica of IP law over "fair use" and the like...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Overly simplified, but he paid royalties to UA for years and then decided he didn't need to (although he continued to pay royalties to other universities). UA decided it had to protect its trademarks (if you don't, you lose them) and sued. From there, the case went off into the esoterica of IP law over "fair use" and the like...
Due to the lawsuit he will probably not have to pay A&M either or any other university from here on out.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

That he's a greedy piece of poo.
Around 10 years ago I met Mr. Moore when I purchased a boat he had advertised for sale in the paper. I did not know who he was until we had almost completed the deal. I can say that he came off as one of the finest people I have ever met. He threw in a limited edition "The Sack" paintings after the deal was done. I don't know enough about the lawsuit to judge either side but when it comes to $ we all want to protect what we believe is ours. Whether he is greedy or not I can't say, but I don't believe him to be a piece of poo...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Wow. I guess the oversimplified question is how can he not owe the university royalties? I googled a lot of his prints and some have the universities script A and one has the entire logo in the background. What was the legal reason the courts determined he didn't?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Wow. I guess the oversimplified question is how can he not owe the university royalties? I googled a lot of his prints and some have the universities script A and one has the entire logo in the background. What was the legal reason the courts determined he didn't?
TBF, I didn't really follow the case close enough to know or analyze the finding. Like a bad penny, he'll resurface, so I'll try to read up on it...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

TBF, I didn't really follow the case close enough to know or analyze the finding. Like a bad penny, he'll resurface, so I'll try to read up on it...
I am certainly not a lawyer, but from my memory, it came down to the University not being able to claim the iconic numeral helmet and crimson and white uniform as a unique trademark. I remember the plain nature of the uniform being the main reason. I cannot remember when the script A logo started appearing in his paintings - before or after the lawsuit.

My memory may be way off though. I know this board has gone through this discussion before, but what really got me about it all is that he refused to pay Alabama but he paid all the other Universities.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I am certainly not a lawyer, but from my memory, it came down to the University not being able to claim the iconic numeral helmet and crimson and white uniform as a unique trademark. I remember the plain nature of the uniform being the main reason. I cannot remember when the script A logo started appearing in his paintings - before or after the lawsuit.

My memory may be way off though. I know this board has gone through this discussion before, but what really got me about it all is that he refused to pay Alabama but he paid all the other Universities.
Just a quick search last night of his prints and I found two that had the script A in it and one that had the circular logo in it that specifically mentioned the name "Alabama" in plan view. I'm not sure how he's not liable for paying the college.

Found this and this opens pandora's box IMO. I thought trademarks and copyrighted material also was protected as far as using the likeness. I know with our business' trademarked logo the paperwork we received back said it protects the likeness of it as well.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/artist_daniel_moore_wins_key_i.html

http://www.wipo.int/trademarks/en/about_trademarks.html

From the last link:

A trademark provides protection to the owner of the mark by ensuring the exclusive right to use it to identify goods or services, or to authorize another to use it in return for payment. The period of protection varies, but a trademark can be renewed indefinitely beyond the time limit on payment of additional fees. Trademark protection is enforced by the courts, which in most systems have the authority to block trademark infringement.

In a larger sense, trademarks promote initiative and enterprise worldwide by rewarding the owners of trademarks with recognition and financial profit. Trademark protection also hinders the efforts of unfair competitors, such as counterfeiters, to use similar distinctive signs to market inferior or different products or services. The system enables people with skill and enterprise to produce and market goods and services in the fairest possible conditions, thereby facilitating international trade.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Just a quick search last night of his prints and I found two that had the script A in it and one that had the circular logo in it that specifically mentioned the name "Alabama" in plan view. I'm not sure how he's not liable for paying the college.

Found this and this opens pandora's box IMO. I thought trademarks and copyrighted material also was protected as far as using the likeness. I know with our business' trademarked logo the paperwork we received back said it protects the likeness of it as well.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/artist_daniel_moore_wins_key_i.html
Do you remember what games those prints were of? Were they before or after all of this lawsuit battle?

I just have this memory of Alabama's plain uniform not passing the court's muster of a trademark. But as I said... it's been a few years ago and I may be wrong.

Edit: Searched myself and one of them is the 2008 Iron Bowl. That was before all of this was settled.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

http://www.thebevelededgeonline.com/images/blowout.gif

Click on this'un and tell me what you think?
Yep, that's the one I found when I searched. That was before this was all settled. I don't understand how he got away with that...

This one is after all of this is settled. So, he's in the clear now, right?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I have some of his prints, which were gifts. He does have fantastic talent. But I'll never purchase his works because of this.

As I said, it was particularly galling to me that he paid the other Universities and also paid UA until he just decided to stop.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I have some of his prints, which were gifts. He does have fantastic talent. But I'll never purchase his works because of this.

As I said, it was particularly galling to me that he paid the other Universities and also paid UA until he just decided to stop.
I think he had to because in many of the paintings the other schools' logo was clearly on the side of their helmets. I know the actual logo is protected from being used. But who knows? I'm just shocked at the outcome.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

In 2013, why do people still buy these things? My camera takes much more realistic pictures than this midget could ever draw...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.