Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation All-American Clubfitter's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Daniel Moore doing a Johnny Manziel print...

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Let's be honest. It is a loophole for artist and people who fall into that field. That's all it is. We can split hairs all we want but the logo on a coffee mug doesn't sell because it "suggest ensorsement" by the college. It sells because the popularity of the football team it represents.
    Courts, including appellate courts, have ruled. Not sure why there is any question left to answer.
    “What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment.”
    Coach Nick Saban.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

Let's be honest. It is a loophole for artist and people who fall into that field. That's all it is.
    Buzzard, I wouldn't expect you to understand, you're a moderator - its your job to restrict our Freedom Of Speech.

(Before you mash the banhammer, I'm joking)

a coffee mug doesn't sell because it "suggest ensorsement" by the college
    ...well, of course it does. You bought that tacky Alabama coffee mug for a reason, right? You've got plenty of tacky coffee mugs, already, but you wanted this one because it was, you assumed, endorsed by Alabama. Well, little did you know, that crappy coffee mug was bootlegged by a bunch of Somalian pirates. That irritates you, doesn't it? It should. You bought it thinking it was something that it wasn't.

What we're treading into, here, is the argument over merchandise versus artwork. There is a difference. Let's toss out the tacky coffee mugs and talk about artwork... Disregard what is inside the artwork and simply accept that the Freedom of Speech protects it completely. It does. The 6th Circuit ruled and that's it. What is important in these cases, unbeknownst to most folks, is how the artwork is presented. Not the artwork itself. If, on the margins of his lithograph, Daniel Moore places a University Of Alabama logo outside the artwork... he may very well be taken for suggesting endorsement. Big no no! If the margins only feature his signature and a number to indicate the artwork's limited edition... he's done nothing to imply that his artwork is anything but... his artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubfitter View Post
    Courts, including appellate courts, have ruled. Not sure why there is any question left to answer.
    If that's how we approach these discussions, there' little point in having them.

just because the courts ruled as they did doesn't mean:
    1- any of us have to agree or,
    2- it's the morally / ethically (potentially even legally) correct decision.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    If that's how we approach these discussions, there' little point in having them.

But the law is the law. Legality and morality aren't the same.

If thought as such, segregation, slavery, etc. would still be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryEwok View Post
    Buzzard, I wouldn't expect you to understand, you're a moderator - its your job to restrict our Freedom Of Speech.

...well, of course it does. You bought that tacky Alabama coffee mug for a reason, right? You've got plenty of tacky coffee mugs, already, but you wanted this one because it was, you assumed, endorsed by Alabama. Well, little did you know, that crappy coffee mug was bootlegged by a bunch of Somalian pirates. That irritates you, doesn't it? It should. You bought it thinking it was something that it wasn't.

What we're treading into, here, is the argument over merchandise versus artwork. There is a difference. Let's toss out the tacky coffee mugs and talk about artwork... Disregard what is inside the artwork and simply accept that the Freedom of Speech protects it completely. It does. The 6th Circuit ruled and that's it. What is important in these cases, unbeknownst to most folks, is how the artwork is presented. Not the artwork itself. If, on the margins of his lithograph, Daniel Moore places a University Of Alabama logo outside the artwork... he may very well be taken for suggesting endorsement. Big no no! If the margins only feature his signature and a number to indicate the artwork's limited edition... he's done nothing to imply that his artwork is anything but... his artwork.
    I don't remember that being the basis of the ruling being that broad, but the 1st Amendment has never held to be absolute. I'll go back and look at the holding...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

You'll want to look at a prior case, as well. The name escapes me but it depicted the Three Stooges and the artist lost the lawsuit.

But the law is the law. Legality and morality aren't the same.
    Yup, understood. And I agree. But that doesn't mean I agree the law has been correctly decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    If thought as such, segregation, slavery, etc. would still be the norm.
    Of course. I think most would agree those were morally reprehensible issues, despite the fact it took generations for the law to recognize and act on it.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

After reading the opinion, you are correct. I don't agree with it, but you're right...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Of course. I think most would agree those were morally reprehensible issues, despite the fact it took generations for the law to recognize and act on it.
    However you want to look at it, real change did not occur until after the Brown v. Board of Education case...

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ YellowHammer View Post
    http://college-football.si.com/2013/...hnny-football/

I guess doing Bama prints gets old. This thread should get good though.
    He's done Auburn prints before. My girlfriend's family has one of his Kentucky basketball ones. He's a sports artist who is also an Alabama fan. I will never get the Daniel Moore hate.
    Last edited by BamainBoston; February 1st, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

BamaNation All-American cuda.1973's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sick on TideFans.com

Speaking of hate.....................we may see some Johnny Football hate, and from his own fans:

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/02...01&feedID=3742
    "Mama called."

So, we took her home.

3/8/26-8/20/13

My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    Speaking of hate.....................we may see some Johnny Football hate, and from his own fans:

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/02...01&feedID=3742
    He's throwing up the "devil's horns" which is common at rock concerts.