API's Claim to the AP NC in '57 - Never heard this account before

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=14&f=1016&t=11232008

This thread on the Bama Scout board contains a post about how Auburn was voted the AP NC in '57.

I've never heard this "version" of how the AP vote was manipulated and how the next year the AP changed to just sports writers being able to vote.

Anybody, especially Earle, who can chime in on this with some definitive knowledge?

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Old , old news . In fact , I've posted about this very topic several times in the past . The version linked is semi-accurate , but somewhat off the mark . In those days any member of the media could vote and many , or most , were still traveling by train and countless media members had failed to take the time to cast a vote because nearly everyone had considered Ohio State to be the obvious champion . What hardly anyone did know though was that voters across our region had held back their votes in the latter portion of the season which had created a false pad . This was quickly erased when southern voters poured in their votes . I actually interviewed a barner about 20 years back who was promoting a book he had written about it .

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Old , old news . In fact , I've posted about this very topic several times in the past . The version linked is semi-accurate , but somewhat off the mark . In those days any member of the media could vote and many , or most , were still traveling by train and countless media members had failed to take the time to cast a vote because nearly everyone had considered Ohio State to be the obvious champion . What hardly anyone did know though was that voters across our region had held back their votes in the latter portion of the season which had created a false pad . This was quickly erased when southern voters poured in their votes . I actually interviewed a barner about 20 years back who was promoting a book he had written about it .
So their '57 title was more of a media campaign/political statement for the south than anything else?

What about the part about them having players on the team that were the reason they were on probation for paying players?

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
So their '57 title was more of a media campaign/political statement for the south than anything else?

What about the part about them having players on the team that were the reason they were on probation for paying players?
Auburn spent several years in the fifties under NCAA sanctions for back-to-back recruiting violations. First for the Beaube twins (Etowah County, AL), then Don Fuell (Guntersville, AL). If I remember correctly the sanctions consisted of small fines levied by the SEC and bowl and TV bans levied by the NCAA. The two major football polls at that time were conducted by the Associated Press (AP Poll) and the United Press International (UPI). Because of the sanctions, the UPI decided to exclude Auburn while the AP allowed Auburn to be ranked in their poll. The end result was a split championship, Ohio State winning the UPI and Auburn the AP.

Auburn quickly blamed those evil miscreants Bama and Georgia for railroading them....

Innocents being victimized...
:cool2:

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Don't understand why anyone, much less nearly everyone, would have considered tOSU to be the obvious champion. Auburn had taken over the top spot on the next to last week of the season, and could not have been expected to drop out of it after beating Bama 40-0. TOSU lost their season opener at home to TCU (5-4-1) and was never ranked #1 that year.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/num1_weekly.cfm?seasonid=1957

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I wonder if what happened to us in 1966 was at least in partial backlash to this. It was only 9 years removed at the time.
What happened to Bama in 1966 is more akin to what happened to Oklahoma in 1957, and may very well happen to 2013 Bama. Appears that neither the populace nor the media can handle a team being #1 for 3 straight years. Both 1966 Bama and 1957 Oklahoma were Preseason #1 and two time defending NC. And neither had a snowball's chance of remaining there. Oklahoma began the year with 40 straight wins. They were dropped to #2 after winning their 43rd straight game because they beat Texas by "only" 21-7.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?seasonid=1957&teamid=50

1966 Bama was dropped to #3 before they ever played a game.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?seasonid=1966&teamid=25

Last edited:

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Don't understand why anyone, much less nearly everyone, would have considered tOSU to be the obvious champion. Auburn had taken over the top spot on the next to last week of the season, and could not have been expected to drop out of it after beating Bama 40-0. TOSU lost their season opener at home to TCU (5-4-1) and was never ranked #1 that year.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/num1_weekly.cfm?seasonid=1957
There was more to consider than just the AP poll . Sort of like how a fair percentage of people view '61 as being a somewhat legitimate 3-way split . While '57 was a shared title , the Rose Bowl was still such a big deal that most voters from other areas felt OSU had done more than enough since the barn was not a part of the postseason - ineligible . There was an organized effort originated by sportswriters in both Georgia and Alabama to back the barn .

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
There was more to consider than just the AP poll . Sort of like how a fair percentage of people view '61 as being a somewhat legitimate 3-way split . While '57 was a shared title , the Rose Bowl was still such a big deal that most voters from other areas felt OSU had done more than enough since the barn was not a part of the postseason - ineligible . There was an organized effort originated by sportswriters in both Georgia and Alabama to back the barn .
But we were talking specifically about the AP poll. There has always been a decided bias favoring teams outside of the South, so I have no problem with this support of the barn in '57. Back then, if a team from the South had started a season, at home, losing to a team that would finish 5-4-1, they would never have been in the NC discussion.

My point is, there was already a bias favoring tOSU, so what was wrong with a biased support of the barn? I saw them beat Bama 40-0. Looked like the NC to me. Best team money could buy.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I'm pretty sure the sports editor of the Boll Weevil Time and News of Enterprise voted them #1 that year. Good enough for me. Roll the trees one more time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.