Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Vanderbilt’s James Franklin calls Saban “Nicky Satan”

I'm really not surprised.

On multiple occasions, Franklin has displayed far less couth that I would expect from the coach of a university that fancies itself to be a higher-tier institution of learning. I understand that he's there to win football games, but whether he likes it or not he's still a public representative of that institution.

He hasn't reached Kiffin levels yet and he never will. Franklin's offenses seem to be purely based on ignorance, carelessness, or just some unquantifiable, yet discernible level of dimwittedness. Kiffin is a jerk because he seems to enjoy it.

Kiffin has a passion for jerkism. He's to jerkiness what Chuck Norris is to manliness. He hit every limb of the jerkwood tree on the way down, got tangled in a jerkvine just before he hit the ground, and then got face-planted into a foot-wide knot on the trunk. Someone asked Methuselah to describe what a jerk Kiffin was and he replied that life is too short. Manti Te'o claims that he's met a bigger jerk. When Skip Bayless was told that Kiffin was the biggest jerk ever, he said that he couldn't argue with that.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Isn't this the guy who said something like, "I only hire coaches with hot wives, because it shows what kind of man they are."?
    Yes, so take this latest little dumb*rse riposte as an act of contrition meaning that he'll outwork Coach Saban because he's given up assessing hot wives for Lent - or until the next staff opening. Poor deluded chap.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

I think to be successful at Vandy he has to take that "I fear nothing" approach or "Nothing's going to stand in my way" approach.
    Otherwise he'd have no chance with any type of quality recruit.
    That being said I have no clue why he couldn't simply say "Nick Saban" rather than "Nicky Satan".
    That's not only cheesy but very child like and not very original at all.
    Plus, he just increased our margin of victory by about three touchdowns the next time we play.

BamaNation All-SEC Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Vanderbilt’s James Franklin calls Saban “Nicky Satan”

If you follow the link again there is an update posted. Franklin has called Saban and apologized, telling him it was meant as a joke.
    Vanderbilt football coach James Franklin said he phoned Alabama’s Nick Saban on Wednesday to apologize for referring to the four-time national championship coach as “Nicky Satan.”

Franklin, who made the reference Monday at a Macon (Ga.) Central High sports banquet, said it was meant strictly as a joke. Video of the speech has since gone viral.
    “Obviously, tremendous respect for Coach Saban,” Franklin said. “I just got off the phone with him. Tremendous respect for them. I’ve got tremendous respect for what they’ve done. Everybody is chasing them. The guy has won three or four national championships.

“(I was) really talking about the work ethic that he has a reputation for, and that we’re going to outwork them. I made a joke. And in today’s society with all the media and social media and people with tape recorders and things like that, that doesn’t come off that way. I know people have tremendous pride in Alabama, and their fans are fanatical. So I understand. But it was a joke and I didn’t mean to offend anybody.”

Franklin said that Saban was “good” with the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

He can apologize from here to the other side of the street while carrying an I love Alabama sign, I don't forgive him. I hope we beat their brains out when we play them again. This guy is a flea to Coach Saban if he had any recruits worth taking it would really be on. To think I used to like this guy, well thats done now.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar

Wow! Bet St. Nick never heard nothing like that before.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

CNS leaves town it makes national news.

This time of year we are talking about Vandy?

With the teams Coach is building expect a whole lot more of this. To me it don't matter because Vandy does not matter.

The most disrespectful comment by a coach toward CNS to me was Muschamp comments before the bowl games. CNS was saying that GA or the loser of the SECCG deserved to go to a BCS bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

The attitude of Franklin, his cute comments aside, has permeated the vanderbilt team and fan base. Even with their new found in your face attitude they will still average 34K per game in a crappy stadium. I take back what I said about beating ut, I hope ut kills them, I do not take back my comments about au though. I wish the SEC would send them packing to the Big East or CUSA.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    The most disrespectful comment by a coach toward CNS to me was Muschamp comments before the bowl games. CNS was saying that GA or the loser of the SECCG deserved to go to a BCS bowl.
    Muschamp is not smart enough to understand what CNS was saying.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

At least he didn't call him "Sabear." I notice the AU fans seem to have lost their appetite for than nickname. Too much truth in it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

Suspended
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    NICE! Really enjoy your posts Rasputin!

BamaNation All-SEC JAXFLBAMAFAN's Avatar

I agree that the overuse of any cliche including....that word makes me weary.

I am weary of reading on this board, which I do daily, the use of class, classy, classless or a relative facsimile thereof, on the Bama board.

Please find another word to describe folks on this board or from other boards.

"I wanna play for you Bear."
    "It don't cost nothin to be nice." Bear Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC JAXFLBAMAFAN's Avatar

At the same time...I guess Franklin is planning on being out of the SEC by the Bama appears on the Vandy schedule again. Most coaches discourage their kids from providing bulletin board material for their opponents to use against them. But, for a coach to do that is just.........stupid.
    Last edited by JAXFLBAMAFAN; January 31st, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    "I wanna play for you Bear."
    "It don't cost nothin to be nice." Bear Bryant