News Article: Vanderbilt’s James Franklin calls Saban “Nicky Satan”

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
I believe Franklin knew exactly what he was doing. Throw a jab at the biggest target in the conference while the media is in attendance and you are sure to have your soundbite played over and over. It seems like he read the Kiffin book on public relations.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
How many of us referred to another coach as pure evil? You know, 'Satan.' Calling someone cheese, a kitten or a cry baby is a lot different than calling someone Satan. And we're talking about a coach saying this, not some random fan or even a player. A head coach of a football team talking trash as if he's a fan. When you're the head coach you should carry yourself much better than that. Had Nick Saban said something like this I'm pretty sure most Alabama fans, if not all, would be embarrassed.
It's just how name calling goes. You find an insulting name that is similar to the real one and go with it. His name is undeniably close to "Satan". Other programs' fans (and maybe even coaches) view him as being a mean, heartless person. Unfortunately that will be the his nickname long after you or I die when referred to by rival fans (i.e. any SEC team). It's not going to change. Just don't take it personally.

Would I be embarrassed if a 61 year old man called other coaches names in front of the camera? Hell yeah I would. Franklin is just another name on the list of processees though. Maybe he is a fan of himself while also being a coach? :conf3:

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
It's just how name calling goes. You find an insulting name that is similar to the real one and go with it. His name is undeniably close to "Satan". Other programs' fans (and maybe even coaches) view him as being a mean, heartless person. Unfortunately that will be the his nickname long after you or I die when referred to by rival fans (i.e. any SEC team). It's not going to change. Just don't take it personally.

Would I be embarrassed if a 61 year old man called other coaches names in front of the camera? Hell yeah I would. Franklin is just another name on the list of processees though. Maybe he is a fan of himself while also being a coach? :conf3:
I'm well aware that it's not going to end or change. Like I said, it wasn't a fan or a player that said it, it was a head coach. LSU and Auburn fans say it all the time and I don't think twice about it or even care. But this is a head coach who is supposed to represent a University and a football team in the best way possible. When he lowers himself to the point of name calling it is really sad.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I'm well aware that it's not going to end or change. Like I said, it wasn't a fan or a player that said it, it was a head coach. LSU and Auburn fans say it all the time and I don't think twice about it or even care. But this is a head coach who is supposed to represent a University and a football team in the best way possible. When he lowers himself to the point of name calling it is really sad.
Yeah I agree that those in a position that will be heavily scrutinized by the public and/or media should watch what they say in front of the cameras, and I don't exactly think highly of this situation. My only beef was with those that said he was immature for name calling when it happens here every day as if anonymity makes it different in some way. Name calling is name calling no matter who is doing it.

Also I give myself a
for that last sentence.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Who is James Franklin? :wink:

Isn't this the guy who said something like, "I only hire coaches with hot wives, because it shows what kind of man they are."?

...and you expect class and decorum from him?

Something's not exactly right with that guy. Doesn't mean he isn't a decent coach, but there is no telling what he is going to say. He is like a less entertaining Les Miles in that regard.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
How many of us referred to another coach as pure evil? You know, 'Satan.' Calling someone cheese, a kitten or a cry baby is a lot different than calling someone Satan. And we're talking about a coach saying this, not some random fan or even a player. A head coach of a football team talking trash as if he's a fan. When you're the head coach you should carry yourself much better than that. Had Nick Saban said something like this I'm pretty sure most Alabama fans, if not all, would be embarrassed.
Only part of this whole thing that matters...but not much. Pretty sure he just assured his team of a brutal beat down every time they meet Bama on the football field, at least while both current hc's are still in place. Think after the next time Bama plays Vandy, he's gonna owe his players a huge apology. :rolleyes:

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
Franklin's comments raise for me an interesting philosophical point about whether my attitude toward a particular school/football program maps more to the person who happens to be the head coach, or to the history of Alabama's experience with the program and the general attitude of the school's fan base. Historically, Vanderbilt has been a benign presence in Alabama's football experience, the pesky academic school that now and again comes up with a competitive team. Franklin's petty characterization of Nick Saban causes me to hope for the implosion of Vanderbilt's football program. For my part, Vanderbilt can just drop again to the cellar of the SEC and stay there.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I will be as disrespectful and rude as board policy will allow me too while under the anonymity of the internet!

But when I stand in front of my peers and the cameras I will call people by name and give thanks to Allah!

You got some nerve fella calling us out! I shall be a hypocrite and I shall love it! :wink:
I will vouch for ya there... :smile:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Isn't this the guy who said something like, "I only hire coaches with hot wives, because it shows what kind of man they are."?

Something's not exactly right with that guy. Doesn't mean he isn't a decent coach, but there is no telling what he is going to say. He is like a less entertaining Les Miles in that regard.
Less entertaining or just less principled, Craig?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I will be as disrespectful and rude as board policy will allow me too while under the anonymity of the internet!

But when I stand in front of my peers and the cameras I will call people by name and give thanks to Allah!

You got some nerve fella calling us out! I shall be a hypocrite and I shall love it! :wink:
NICE! Really enjoy your posts Rasputin! :smile:

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Franklin's comments raise for me an interesting philosophical point about whether my attitude toward a particular school/football program maps more to the person who happens to be the head coach, or to the history of Alabama's experience with the program and the general attitude of the school's fan base. Historically, Vanderbilt has been a benign presence in Alabama's football experience, the pesky academic school that now and again comes up with a competitive team. Franklin's petty characterization of Nick Saban causes me to hope for the implosion of Vanderbilt's football program. For my part, Vanderbilt can just drop again to the cellar of the SEC and stay there.
I tend to agree and think Franklin's a jerk, but think about it. Would you really want to see little old Vandy displacing UT from the very bottom of the SEC?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

LOL, I forgot all about him saying that about his coaches and their wives.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Who cares what he called him? All those that are calling him immature for name calling, I hope that none of you have ever once typed or said any of the following:

Cheez dip
Cheez whiz
Cheez it
Lame Kitten
Lame Kiffikens
Urban Cryer

well...you get my point. He's just having some fun at the expense of a rival school just like the rest of us do at some point. It's just seen in a different light because it's about us.
That reminds me, what are we going to call the Barn's new coach? We've had Tater Tot, Tubby and Cheesy. Is there something we can make out of Gus Malzahn's name?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Depends on one's sense of humor, I suppose...

Maybe entertaining from a "Awwww... Vandy. Aren't they a cute little football team?" perspective. :tongue:
You were only one half step from "Bless their little pea-picking hearts." ("Sucks to be you.") :D

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I'm really not surprised.

On multiple occasions, Franklin has displayed far less couth that I would expect from the coach of a university that fancies itself to be a higher-tier institution of learning. I understand that he's there to win football games, but whether he likes it or not he's still a public representative of that institution.

He hasn't reached Kiffin levels yet and he never will. Franklin's offenses seem to be purely based on ignorance, carelessness, or just some unquantifiable, yet discernible level of dimwittedness. Kiffin is a jerk because he seems to enjoy it.

Kiffin has a passion for jerkism. He's to jerkiness what Chuck Norris is to manliness. He hit every limb of the jerkwood tree on the way down, got tangled in a jerkvine just before he hit the ground, and then got face-planted into a foot-wide knot on the trunk. Someone asked Methuselah to describe what a jerk Kiffin was and he replied that life is too short. Manti Te'o claims that he's met a bigger jerk. When Skip Bayless was told that Kiffin was the biggest jerk ever, he said that he couldn't argue with that.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yes, so take this latest little dumb*rse riposte as an act of contrition meaning that he'll outwork Coach Saban because he's given up assessing hot wives for Lent - or until the next staff opening. Poor deluded chap.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.