Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Big XII wants title game even with just X teams

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says the league likely will seek permission from the NCAA to hold a championship game even though it doesn't have the 12 members required under the current rules.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-12-...m5hbA--;_ylv=3

I doubt they'll ask my opinion, but I'd be opposed to this. They need to follow the same rules as everyone else.

I wonder how they'd do the divisions. West Virginia is out there on an island. Maybe throw them in with the Texas schools. But if they still did a nine game round robin schedule, it really wouldn't matter who was in what division.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Big XII wants title game even with just X teams

Pick the two best teams with best records and have them play -- which is how all conference championship games *should* be but rest assured they aren't asking my opinion either
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-SEC RollTide1017's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing magical about 12...let them have a game.
    Also, the SEC should be able to do away with divisions and have the two best teams play for the championship. That would solve a lot of the scheduling problems.
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

2012 SEC CHAMPIONS
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?
    Because a ten team league can play a round robin schedule. Which negates the need for a CG. Granted a 12 team league could also play a round robin schedule, but that ain't happening.

BTW, the rule was never intended for 1A. The NCAA almost had a meltdown when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and used the rule for a CG.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a snowball's chance of being approved.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

From what I recall, the NCAA passed the rule so some Division II league could have a championship game, although I think they never actually played one. Roy Kramer heard about the rule and decided to expand and schedule the game.

The SWAC (an HBCU FCS league) only has ten members but has a championship game despite playing a full nine game schedule. To make it even odder, they do not even participate in the FCS playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    From what I recall, the NCAA passed the rule so some Division II league could have a championship game, although I think they never actually played one. Roy Kramer heard about the rule and decided to expand and schedule the game.

The SWAC (an HBCU FCS league) only has ten members but has a championship game despite playing a full nine game schedule. To make it even odder, they do not even participate in the FCS playoffs.
    However, the SWAC plays an 11 game regular season. The CG would be allowed because it is a 12th game and not a 13th game. They could have a Championship weekend if they so chose. 5E vs 5W, 4E vs 4W, 3E vs 3W, 2E vs 2W, and then 1E vs 1W.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...wac-conference
    Last edited by ALA2262; January 31st, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

When did we start counting in Roman Numerals on here...

Excuse me while I brush up on my skillset.

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised they don't just count Texas three times.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    However, the SWAC plays an 11 game regular season. The CG would be allowed because it is a 12th game and not a 13th game. They could have a Championship weekend if they so chose. 5E vs 5W, 4E vs 4W, 3E vs 3W, 2E vs 2W, and then 1E vs 1W.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...wac-conference
    The SWAC plays 11 games because that is the limit for FCS schools. Though they do play 12 this year due to the extra week in the schedule. (FBS teams get two off weeks instead of just one).

The SWAC plays the game because it brings in more money than they would make by going to the playoffs. "Classic" games like this are a big money maker for HBCU programs.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I'm all for the championship game.

Post Thanks / Like

There are better places to watch a pillow fight.