Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation First Team dadleyblane5's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Big XII wants title game even with just X teams

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    Why is the rule set at 12 teams, what makes 12 so special? I think a conference should be aloud to have championship game if they want it, regardless of the number of teams in the league. I'm not saying it makes much since to have a championship game if you, say, only have 8 teams in a conference. I'm just saying the conference should be able to decide, not the NCAA. Big 12 has 10 teams, I don't see the problem with them having a conference championship game. What makes 12 so magical in the NCAA's eyes?
    I agree, but a rule is a rule is a rule....

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Let the Big XII schedule a conference championship game and play it. What is the NCAA going to do? Seems lately that teams and conferences that defy, rather than cooperate, come out okay.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I wouldn't want them to get the special treatment. Every other conference had to play by the rules and now we're going to change them because the Big 12 never could get its act together and lost 4 of its best programs? (Well actually 3 minus Colorado).

No, they should have to add two more teams to get to the required number. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that every other conference had to do it by the rules in place and for the fact that the Big 12 brought this upon itself.
    So right, but Texas thinks they are above the rules for everyone else.
    An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support. John Buchan

The NCAA shouldn't let the Big 12 have this game with only ten teams, and there is logic behind the requirement.

The 12 team conference basically means you can't all play each other, and it leaves certain things undetermined. The championship game, while not a perfect resolution, at least insures that the teams represented have played everyone in the conference. The Big 12 already plays round robin, so there is no point to this. The reason you don't let every single conference do this, even if they don't need to, is because you would basically be expanding the schedule by another game.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

Rule should either be enforced or eliminated with all FBS conferences being treated like equals. Big12 wants to stay at 10 teams (because Texas says that's what they want) so that conference revenue per team is maximized. They want to play a round-robin schedule and then have a championship because they think this will help there cause in getting their best team (at that moment in time) into a MNC four-team playoff. They want the exposure to help them beat out a second SEC team in the four-team playoff...but don't want to have to dilute their revenue. Like everything else in the Big12: "some of us are special and shouldn't have to follow the rules...we want every advantage....and if exceptions have to be made for us...then what's the big deal?" If it works for the Big12, then it works for all conferences....so eliminate the rule, but don't just exempt one conference.

Conferences should be a max of 10 teams so that all teams play each other in the regular season. How else can you have a true conference champion in football? More than 10 is just about the money grab.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Two thumbs up. 6 or 8 (10) team conferences in the FCS every other team in a separate division. Play ever conference team and 3 non conference teams.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner