Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Sports journalism is in the toilet

When once respected media outlets like Sports Illustrated and ESPN are chasing down leads on stories that would be spiked by the National Enquirer, what does it say about the quality of today’s sports media? When gossip websites like Deadspin and TMZ have better sourced and better researched articles than credentialed journalists purporting to provide objective news and analysis, one has to wonder if the latter hasn’t replaced the former as legitimate and trustworthy outlets
    Dave says it best again, and I completely agree. I can only add the 24 hr. cycle of new and "gotcha" journalism contributes to this mess!

Mash Here

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sports journalism is in the toilet

It's not limited to sports. Journalism is dead.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a new world we live in and things aren't going back to the way they were. Old guard establishments can either adapt or get left in the dust.

As bad as it might sound, it's all about page views and eyeballs looking at the product. Writing off Deadspin as a "gossip" website is just indicative of the old way of thinking.

And just because someone is "credentialed" does not lend them credibility. You can go to press boxes around the country, Bryant-Denny included, and find people working less than legitimate news sites that have credentials.

The Lance Armstrong story mostly got ignored because it was a foregone conclusion that he was doping, Armstrong himself is an incredibly unlikable, and most people saw it as a ploy on Armstrong's part. There's also the big factor of the bulk of people not giving two flying flips about cycling since they already know it's one of the dirtiest sports out there.

Football is going to drive the discussion. Any story about it will. America is a junkie needing a fix when it comes to football.

Look at the baseball P.E.D. stuff. The only people really driving that home are old guard sports writers and fans who hang on to the belief that the game is this mythical pure entity. For the most part, people aren't going to get up in an outrage about it.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; February 1st, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

As a Comm major and former Journalism major, I find this thread full of irony.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you is there is horrible writing/content/journalism everywhere whether it be newspapers, blogs, magazines, twitterz, or wherever. Bad writing is bad writing, mmkay.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    As a Comm major and former Journalism major, I find this thread full of irony.
    How so?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    How so?
    Big reason: Blogs and "street journalism" has caused the newspaper world to take a hit. While that is happening, many feel those places are still not credible. For Dave to write a blog post about poor sports journalism makes it even more ironic.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I call it opinion...and spot on.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems the temptation to being first is trumping being right. Even if the first to print story has glaring errors in it it is really hard to re-focus everyone's attention on a more correct version later on. It tells me that folks like Deadspin understand how to grow their readership - find a scandal and investigate it to death.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Journalism in general is at it's lowest points: with any number of things in the world worth talking about, we have stories about Beyonce using a pre-recorded tape at the inauguration. Who cares?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Big reason: Blogs and "street journalism" has caused the newspaper world to take a hit. While that is happening, many feel those places are still not credible. For Dave to write a blog post about poor sports journalism makes it even more ironic.
    Ah, I see where you're coming from. See I don't care if its a blog, newspaper or tv news program as long as it has some real content. The media of today are so infatuated with politicians, actors, athletes and whatever it is you call someone who does nothing but be famous like Kardashians that they fawn over them constantly. No one will actually ask one of them a difficult question. They just want to be their friends.

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The sports coverage in the Birmingham News has gotten worse since they went to a three day printing cycle.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Sport simply needs folks to tell us who won the game, how the game played out, and what the final score was. Everything else is opinion, and a blog or site like Tidefans can fill that void easily enough.

Folks want to get paid to tell others their opinion. For some reason, some people are willing to pay strangers for their opinions. Silly if you ask me, but there is a huge industry built around it.