Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Sports journalism is in the toilet

Op-Ed isn't new though. I think the issue is that major journalism gravities towards meaningless controversy over hard issues. Half the country gets in a tizzy when the news presses the partisans they like; the other half does the same when their favorite sons are pushed or questioned. I'm talking in terms of general journalism right now but it applies to sports journalism just as well. Rape cases and negligent manslaughter issues against Notre Dame were too much to push - therefore ignite a part of their viewership negatively - but a girlfriend hoax is a soft enough story for the media to latch onto without much reaction from the ND faithful.

Big media is useless because it seeks to appease all potential viewers. They aren't going to say hard truths. There aren't any Murrows out there today. There may be guys who will press the truth like him, but they aren't given his platform anymore. Instead we get Nancy Grace asking us to PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN every night when we could be talking about substantive domestic and foreign policies issues. It's a said state of affairs when the best hour worth of news in this country is on Comedy Central.

We should be talking about the Miami investigation and the NCAA's announcement of their own misgivings in the investigation which effectively let Miami off the hook unlike any other time in modern NCAA history. We should be talking about how the recent relaxation of NCAA rules (albeit mostly sensible) and the admission that their investigations have gone too far in legally shady methods is seemingly ushering in an era of the toothless NCAA infractions committee. What will be the impact? Will teams wanting to get to the next level push the envelope much further now? Is it time to consider breaking major conference college football off into it's own semi-pro entity and be done with the whole dog and pony show of amateurism?

This is great, substantive off-season discussion but instead we're getting Te'o's homosexual hoaxer who is just a poor mixed up kid. Who cares? If we're going to talk about Notre Dame deceptions, lets worry about the ones with real dead people involved.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Big reason: Blogs and "street journalism" has caused the newspaper world to take a hit. While that is happening, many feel those places are still not credible. For Dave to write a blog post about poor sports journalism makes it even more ironic.
    Read my Blogger Code of Ethics

I have no problem with sensational journalism. Just as long as everyone understands that what they're getting is tabloid material and not serious analysis or facts surrounding a story, then no one is getting anything other than what they want or deserve.

Traditional mass media has had to adapt in order to survive and some organizations are not doing a very good of it. That adaptation should not include abandoning standards of ethics and professionalism that they were drilled on all the way back in Journo 101.

There was no reason for allegedly professional journalists to fail in basic fact checking. They were either lazy or they were pushing an agenda. Maybe both were in play.

I am a Bama blogger. I am biased. But I still recognize an obligation to tell the truth. Even though you know exactly where I stand, the facts are the facts. I also think--perhaps naively--that I have an obligation to focus on stories and issues that matter and none of the three examples I mentioned in today's rant are newsworthy.

Not one of'em.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    We should be talking about the Miami investigation and the NCAA's announcement of their own misgivings in the investigation which effectively let Miami off the hook unlike any other time in modern NCAA history. We should be talking about how the recent relaxation of NCAA rules (albeit mostly sensible) and the admission that their investigations have gone too far in legally shady methods is seemingly ushering in an era of the toothless NCAA infractions committee. What will be the impact? Will teams wanting to get to the next level push the envelope much further now? Is it time to consider breaking major conference college football off into it's own semi-pro entity and be done with the whole dog and pony show of amateurism?

This is great, substantive off-season discussion but instead we're getting Te'o's homosexual hoaxer who is just a poor mixed up kid. Who cares? If we're going to talk about Notre Dame deceptions, lets worry about the ones with real dead people involved.
    Exactly.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Journalism in general is at it's lowest points: with any number of things in the world worth talking about, we have stories about Beyonce using a pre-recorded tape at the inauguration. Who cares?
    Apparently a lot of people, otherwise there wouldn't be such a glut of it.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sport simply needs folks to tell us who won the game, how the game played out, and what the final score was. Everything else is opinion, and a blog or site like Tidefans can fill that void easily enough.

Folks want to get paid to tell others their opinion. For some reason, some people are willing to pay strangers for their opinions. Silly if you ask me, but there is a huge industry built around it.
    We are way past the point of meat and potatoes style reporting about the actual game/contest itself. It simply is not practical to provide just that.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Apparently a lot of people, otherwise there wouldn't be such a glut of it.
    Perhaps who cares isn't the right way to phrase? "What difference does it make?" may be a better way to put it: it is literally inconsequential.

Perhaps who cares isn't the right way to phrase? "What difference does it make?" may be a better way to put it: it is literally inconsequential.
    Very well put. It is difficult to find the words sometimes, but those are the right ones. The majority of what is reported today as news is completely inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    Very well put. It is difficult to find the words sometimes, but those are the right ones. The majority of what is reported today as news is completely inconsequential.
    Inconsequential sells. In modern terms, inconsequential gets page views.

For all the talk from people saying they want the facts and hard hitting news, they are more likely to gravitate away from that.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

That is why I think the best journalism does come from the online space because big journalism is just capitalistically motivated. Sometimes the truth has no motivation in capital.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    It seems the temptation to being first is trumping being right. Even if the first to print story has glaring errors in it it is really hard to re-focus everyone's attention on a more correct version later on. It tells me that folks like Deadspin understand how to grow their readership - find a scandal and investigate it to death.
    In this 24/7 world of reporting too many so-called journalists will submit a story with holes big enough to drive a bus through just to be first. I think SI journalist was too lazy to check their sources (if any) and to get the story from all sides.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    In this 24/7 world of reporting too many so-called journalists will submit a story with holes big enough to drive a bus through just to be first. I think SI journalist was too lazy to check their sources (if any) and to get the story from all sides.
    They tried to dig up someone to prove Tebow a liar on his abstinence claims when discussing relationship. Yet they couldn't even be bothered to find out if Tio's girlfriend was even real. I mean come on, anyone who had heard the whole story would question that.

My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    Yet they couldn't even be bothered to find out if Tio's girlfriend was even real.
    They knew she wasn't real. They helped create her. And they knew they could make headlines, later. That's what you call an investment.

BamaNation First Team gtowntide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We now live in a world where anyone can call themself a journalist and post on the internet. Ever read Bleacher Report?
    They almost always have a survey question on the story page and if you participate, they get another hit which drives advertising revenue.