News Article: Sports journalism is in the toilet

Very well put. It is difficult to find the words sometimes, but those are the right ones. The majority of what is reported today as news is completely inconsequential.
Inconsequential sells. In modern terms, inconsequential gets page views.

For all the talk from people saying they want the facts and hard hitting news, they are more likely to gravitate away from that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That is why I think the best journalism does come from the online space because big journalism is just capitalistically motivated. Sometimes the truth has no motivation in capital.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
It seems the temptation to being first is trumping being right. Even if the first to print story has glaring errors in it it is really hard to re-focus everyone's attention on a more correct version later on. It tells me that folks like Deadspin understand how to grow their readership - find a scandal and investigate it to death.
In this 24/7 world of reporting too many so-called journalists will submit a story with holes big enough to drive a bus through just to be first. I think SI journalist was too lazy to check their sources (if any) and to get the story from all sides.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
In this 24/7 world of reporting too many so-called journalists will submit a story with holes big enough to drive a bus through just to be first. I think SI journalist was too lazy to check their sources (if any) and to get the story from all sides.
They tried to dig up someone to prove Tebow a liar on his abstinence claims when discussing relationship. Yet they couldn't even be bothered to find out if Tio's girlfriend was even real. I mean come on, anyone who had heard the whole story would question that.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
We now live in a world where anyone can call themself a journalist and post on the internet. Ever read Bleacher Report?
They almost always have a survey question on the story page and if you participate, they get another hit which drives advertising revenue.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Big reason: Blogs and "street journalism" has caused the newspaper world to take a hit. While that is happening, many feel those places are still not credible. For Dave to write a blog post about poor sports journalism makes it even more ironic.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Back in my day we had to put up with the invention of the printing press. Lots of woodcutters and manual copiers took a hit then, too.

Frankly, the newspaper world deserved every hit they've taken. Instead of doing what they should have done to remain relevant - and that is to put events into perspective and do in-depth analysis on major stories - they have instead gone away from their strengths and given us even briefer coverage all the while charging more and more. And the paltry coverage they provide is of pitifully poor quality.

Street journalists and bloggers didn't do anything to newspapers that they didn't do to their own stupid pompous selves, IMHO. That's just an excuse for their own failings and shortcomings. They need to quit whining about others and take care of their own house. Some have called for a journalist licensing system to "protect the public". Bull hockey. They want to protect their $$$$, make excuses, and control the conversation. Get with it or good riddance.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
No offense to anyone.....but this type of thread and complaint is just dumb, IMHO. Know why the world is full of people like PF, print first and research later news, and sensationalistic news media?

Because. We. Tune. In.

Period. Human beings, as a mass society on the whole, are way too stupid to govern themselves in any fashion. From our eating habits to our politics, our love for chemicals that kill us and our bubble gum entertainment, our courts full of frivolous lawsuits, the ratio of reproduction to lack of education....the list is endless.

So sit back and enjoy the gluttonous ride until we either kill ourselves off or we sterilize the mental midgets.

YAHOO!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.