Texas Board of Regents Calls an Emergency Meeting

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just saw this on a 247Sports site...

Texas athletics director DeLoss Dodds just released the following statement:
“Major Applewhite engaged in inappropriate, consensual behavior with an adult student one time during the 2009 Fiesta Bowl activities. After learning of his behavior later that month, I took immediate action to review the situation. We promptly initiated an inquiry with assistance from the university’s Legal Affairs office and other units outside of Athletics. Major admitted his inappropriate conduct and he was disciplined. In determining appropriate discipline, we analyze the facts and circumstances surrounding the behavior and its relation to job responsibilities. Major fully accepted his discipline, including counseling. We have high standards for behavior and expect our staff and coaches to adhere to them in all aspects of their lives. I believe that the appropriate discipline was taken in this case.”

ganu76

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 24, 2010
Scuttle is that Major Applewhite had a fling with an adult student some time back, and that the truth is just starting to surface.

This is the Aggie version at least. Take it for what it's worth.

(Edit: guess I need to hit "refresh" once in a while to see if anyone has already responded.)

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
@TomFornelli: DeLoss Dodds knew about this in January 2009 and is releasing this statement in February 2013. Why?
Looks like another coach (non-football) was recently fired for sleeping with a student. That coach is suing the school and asked to look at all prior disciplinary actions for the same action.

Looks like Dodds is a goner. Who knows, though. In fact, the last famous girlfriend in college football ends up and was a guy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They better dig deep in those pockets they're always telling us they're gonna take Saban away with.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The stink that is going to come from this is going to shake things up...
I'd say so. This was a major disaster to let Major hang around for four years, with docked pay for a year, and peremptorily fire the female track coach for the same thing. Ouch! However, the SCOTUS has decided, in a case originating from Alabama, that state agencies are not bound by the 1964 CRA and its amendments, so that may get UT off the hook, unless there's a remedy under Texas law...

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Shaggybevo in melt down. Of course, most are hoping it'll get Mack fired. The rumor is that she was a football trainer.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
Turns out the track coach had a lesbian relationship with one of her athletes IN 2002!! I think Major was just doing a hot student. Huge difference.

Besides the AD had access to the students pictures so a fair judgement on what's right or wrong could be made by a simple game of "who-would-you-do".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Unless his girlfriend was a trainer or someone connected to the team in some way I don't see the problem from a legal standpoint. Maybe someone who understands the law better than I do (which would be ust about everyone) can explain it to me. I know Gottfried had a similar problem here, but he was a head coach. I know it looks bad, but would it be a problem if he wre an English professor?

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
The rumor is that she was a football trainer.
But she would not have been under his direct supervision right? The lawyer was trying to use this as a president for the track coach and her athlete's relationship resulting in wrongful termination.
What they got is a history of hush hush sex within the athletic department. Not received well by the press lately.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Major gets disciplined with a wage freeze and having to get counseling for a fling with a student, according to some posters on the linked site.

When a guy gets caught in the sack with a fine young thing, I always wonder about the effectiveness of counseling.

When they go that route, it seems more like them doing penance rather than a real attempt to get over their attraction for a fling. Kind of like wearing a hair shirt, as if to say "I've been a bad boy and won't do it again."

Tiger Woods needed counseling a while back too, if I remember correctly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.