BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Crimson Tider cast in bronze

Link: NFL Man of the Year Trophy

My recall is that Steve Wright got lost on the Green Bay offensive line amongst Fuzzy Thurston, Forrest Gregg and Jerry Kramer - but seems not to have lost his attitude about Coach Bryant.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Another Crimson Tider cast in bronze

An interesting read about an even more interesting man. Great link.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

I got to know Steve while he was at Bama, and can't imagine a greater misfit for a program run by Coach Bryant. Steve was easy going but also a gifted athlete in a program that demanded dedication and unrelenting intensity. Just a bad fit all around.

Obviously the same fate dogged him in Green Bay and for the same reasons.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

The only ex-player I know of who ever had anything bad to say about Coach Bryant.

There was an ex-player from Kentucky, I wanna say Bob Gain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he and Coach Bryant evidently didn't always see eye to eye and after college was drafted and sent to Korea during the Korean Conflict where one night he was involved in a particularly bloody battle that lasted all night long. After it was over, he penned a letter to Coach Bryant while still in his foxhole in which he told him that he loved him now for the same things he used to hate him for. I took that to mean that Coach Bryant had instilled in him something that had enabled him to withstand what he has just gone through and persevere.

That's pretty powerful stuff to me.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMac View Post
    The only ex-player I know of who ever had anything bad to say about Coach Bryant.

There was an ex-player from Kentucky, I wanna say Bob Gain, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he and Coach Bryant evidently didn't always see eye to eye and after college was drafted and sent to Korea during the Korean Conflict where one night he was involved in a particularly bloody battle that lasted all night long. After it was over, he penned a letter to Coach Bryant while still in his foxhole in which he told him that he loved him now for the same things he used to hate him for. I took that to mean that Coach Bryant had instilled in him something that had enabled him to withstand what he has just gone through and persevere.

TMac, you're right; that was Bob Gain. Read that story somewhere some years back. Agreed on its power.
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've heard of him before. My views on him cannot be expressed without getting suspended.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates "Hotter than Dog Days here!!!"
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

If I remember right there's one or two from the Junction camp that were not impressed in a good way.
    Although I never had the chance to meet him I've had nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Bryant all my life.
    "WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE DOWN THERE? DON'T Y'ALL TAKE YOUR FOOTBALL SERIOUSLY?" -- Coach Bryant, upon calling Auburn at 6 AM only to find out that none of the coaches were in their offices yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Gellerstadt had issues with Bear also.
    "Every picture tells a story,don't it"

Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after this season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Richardson said.

"The university of awebarn!" CNS, 03-06-10

The University of Alabama........keeping the trophy industry busy since 1924! RTR!!!

"I'm just too damn old to start over somewhere else"! CNS 09.19.13

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Sam Gellerstadt had issues with Bear also.

Years ago I made a post praising Sam and he PMed me to thank me. We went back and forth a little and I didn't get that impression at all.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant