Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

What's happened with Mike DuBose?

I like to keep up with the activities of the old coaches. I saw that Mike Price announced his retirement a few weeks ago, and I piqued my interest in what Mike the first was up to. A google search says that his last position was at Memphis, but apparently he was let go when the new regime came in up there last year. There is no more current information. Did he just quietly hang it up as well?

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's happened with Mike DuBose?

Coaching in high school the last I heard...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American banjeaux's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I enjoyed my 1st time read of 2yr old Dubose status story

Thanks for your post Tru. Though not current, this is a great read about Coach Dubose. Perhaps, it is new to others as it was to me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/626333-former-alabama-head-coach-mike-dubose-seeking-redemption-and-return-to-top-div

Former Alabama Crimson Tide Head Coach Mike Dubose Seeks Redemption

Everybody loves the story of a man who rose to the top, had problems, fell down and tried to return to the top again. Hollywood has made dozens of these types of movies.

Mike Dubose is living that reality right now.

A former Alabama player under Paul "Bear" Bryant with a gritty style of play, Dubose was eventually able to become a coach after his collegiate days were up, something quite common for Alabama players.

Few however made it to head coach, and even fewer have made it to head coach at Alabama.
    Oh, Susanna. Oh, don't you cry for me, for I come from Alabama with a banjeaux on my knee. G'wan to Louisiana my true love for to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: I enjoyed my 1st time read of 2yr old Dubose status story

Here is a rundown from Wikipedia...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_DuBose
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Let's let bygones be bygones here, we've all had plenty of opportunities to express our feelings about MD.

If anyone knows what he's up to now, we'd love to know.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish him well wherever he is.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Thread closing in 3......2......1......
    :13

BamaNation Hall of Fame lafella's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

he was coaching some smaller college over in mississippi Milsap? 4 or 5 years ago and they did very well talked to one of th eplayer several years ago.. thought I heard he had made his way back to the D1 circuit as a coordinator but I don't recall where
    Hey Daddy why doesn't Auburn have a number beside their name? 5 year old son during the iron bowl.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!
    I respectfully disagree completely with this. The major culprits were a weak athletic director and a fan base so immersed in hero worship that they fervently believed that because DuBose had "played and coached for the Bear" that he automatically should accede to the head coaching job despite a total lack of experience since he "had paid his dues". Undergoing on-the-job training as head football coach at a place like Alabama is a pretty good guarantee of failure for most and Mike was no exception. I also felt that Mike Shula was pretty much a similar case and doomed to failure when he walked in the door...
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; February 2nd, 2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: formatting

BamaNation All-American Crimson1967's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

He was at Milsaps for a few years and did well and then became an assistant at Memphis in 2010-2011. The staff was fired after the 2011 season and his wiki article doesn't say what he's been doing since.

Ray Perkins is 71 and is the head coach at Jones County Junior College in Mississippi. They went 6-3 last year in his first season.

Bill Curry is 70 and retired after last season following three years as the first ever head coach at Georgia State. He went 10-23 in his tenure there.

Gene Stallings is 77 and enjoying retirement on his Texas ranch.

Dennis Franchione is 61 and just finished his second season at Texas State, where he has gone 10-24.

Mike Price is 66 and retired after last season following nine years at UTEP, where he went 48-61.

Mike Shula is 47 and was recently promoted to offensive co-ordinator of the Carolina Panthers.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=bama61;2108349]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post

I respectfully disagree completely with this. The major culprits were a weak athletic director and a fan base so immersed in hero worship that they fervently believed that because DuBose had "played and coached for the Bear" that he automatically should accede to the head coaching job despite a total lack of experience since he "had paid his dues". Undergoing on-the-job training as head football coach at a place like Alabama is a pretty good guarantee of failure for most and Mike was no exception. I feel that Mike Shula was pretty much a similar case and doomed to failure when he walked in the door...
    I'm sorry, but it was his program. You have to give someone a shot. Plus I had to sit through that loss in Knoxville in 2000.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JBama_in_PCOLA;2108354]
    Quote Originally Posted by bama61 View Post

I'm sorry, but it was his program. You have to give someone a shot. Plus I had to sit through that loss in Knoxville in 2000.

First off let me say I do not want to get suspended again. Mike DuBose was that easy target. There were several indiscretions under his administration however he was not the main link in the downfall of Alabama. Gene stallings is a man of impeccable character however everyone at the university during his tenure your was not squeaky clean. Everyone throws rocks at Dubose and no one asks or mentons indiscretions during Stallings tenure.