Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: What's happened with Mike DuBose?

After hiring three Mike's in a row, I was glad that Coach Saban was not another.
    We didn't exactly thrive under the last three Mikes... I will make an allowance for CMS.
    Coach Shula took our job when the top candidates didn't even want to visit Tuscaloosa.
    The years of probation were tough, and Mike Shula stepped up when we needed a coach.
    He made a number of 'Rookie' mistakes, and was eventually let go.
    Mike did get us thru the bulk of our 'Probation Years'...
    OJT is a tough way to learn in the SEC, and everyone was gunning for us while we were down.
    Over time I've come to judge Coach Shula a little more generously.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Really don't care. He's an Opp guy and I'm from Andalusia. He's the main cog of Bama's decline, though we did win the 99 SECCG!
    I'm not from Opp or Andalusia but grew up in the vicinity. Even though he was a couple of years ahead of me I competed against him in sports. There was never any doubt about his athletic ability but my observations of his character and mental ability off-field made his elevation to head coach a surprise. I assumed maybe he'd grown under Coach Bryant and Stallings but unfortunately that didn't seem the case.

Still, I don't harbor any ill will and hope he does well in whatever he does.

BamaNation All-American NationalTitles15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Mike Shula was always a "caretaker" coach. He came aboard at a difficult time when getting anyone else was impossibly difficult. It was hoped he would flourish and become the HC everyone wanted him to be, but it was just not to be for Alabama or him. Hate it didn't work out and wish him the best.

Mike Dubose was in much further over his head as a HC than CMS. The implosion of a very talented team in 2000 was the culmination of quite a few personal and professional shortcomings. Really before that season began CMD had "lost" not only the team but the whole program, including the assistant coaches - some of whom were a cancer themselves, some in the administration, and worst of all people in his personal life. The wrongs CMD committed were mostly personal and I have no animosity for the man. He has admitted openly his shortcomings and failures. Pride was one of his downfalls, but he seems to have remained humbled since it all came crashing down for him. He seems interested in helping young men better themselves and their lot in life. More power to him.

CGS made one mistake that I am aware of, and that has been well-documented; but the man has more integrity in his little finger than a lot of folks have in their whole being. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and that is where CGS got himself into trouble. Any argument to the contrary is not going to get much traction here, IMHO - nor should it.
    Last edited by NationalTitles15; February 3rd, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: That was in response to HYGIE.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I smell a thread closing.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I stopped commenting on former coaches except Coach Bryant who will forever be the Best that ever coached the game.

Come to find out if you read carefully from people that Really Know on here, what you may think may not be the way it really is. Some are very reluctant to let OU know what they know, maybe because they care so much for the University.

Just understand that right now Today we have the Best Coach breathing on this earth, what happened before is long past & we suffered for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    ....what happened before is long past & we suffered for it.

All too true and that's the best reason to remember it. Forgive those who failed, but never forget. Personally I've always believed in forgiveness, but I also believe that George Santayana's comment on history is a truism.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I can only hope that when Coach Saban steps down that we remember the circumstances that led to hiring Red Drew, Whitworth, DuBose, Price, and Shula. None really qualified, all poor to disastrous hires. Unfortunately, we do have a history of forgetting the lessons of the past.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Tom View Post
    Come to find out if you read carefully from people that Really Know on here, what you may think may not be the way it really is. Some are very reluctant to let OU know what they know, maybe because they care so much for the University.
    Edit: Nevermind, figured out that OU = "you". Was really puzzled there for a minute on how the love for Oklahoma was playing into this.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; February 3rd, 2013 at 03:18 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama61 View Post
    All too true and that's the best reason to remember it. Forgive those who failed, but never forget. Personally I've always believed in forgiveness, but I also believe that George Santayana's comment on history is a truism.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I can only hope that when Coach Saban steps down that we remember the circumstances that led to hiring Red Drew, Whitworth, DuBose, Price, and Shula. None really qualified, all poor to disastrous hires. Unfortunately, we do have a history of forgetting the lessons of the past.
    Good post, but you omitted Franchione. The ones you mentioned were not qualified, but Franchione was a a liar and a coward which, IMO makes him worse than all the others.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Fran was devious and dishonest, two traits that separated him from the rest.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Coach DuBose at a Mississippi Braves game a few years ago. At the time, he was the HC at Milsaps College. We had a pleasant conversation and he seemed to be enjoying his time at Milsaps.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Family does come first. If he gets back into coaching, I hope he goes to a small school like Milsaps again. He did well there, and that really seems to be his level. He's past 60 now, and past time for him to try to move back up the ladder to a head coaching position at a BCS school.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    I spoke with Coach DuBose at a Mississippi Braves game a few years ago. At the time, he was the HC at Milsaps College. We had a pleasant conversation and he seemed to be enjoying his time at Milsaps.
    He did an excellent job there.

BamaNation All-American CrimsonJag's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My best guess is he's selling clap-on, clap-off lamps.

"We just gotta stop that lil' inside trap." - Joe Kines