Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team acbl_phill's Avatar

Truth behind the trees at auburn.

http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

I know that this has been posted here before but I thought it would be a good time to repost for those that have never read it and for any lurking auburn fans.

In 2007 the university of auburn had declared the trees were dying. The rolling of the trees and pressure washing them is one of the causes. And during the seventies it was popular to roll the trees and then light the toilet paper on fire. This is what led to the pressure washing.

If the auburn fan base really cared for those trees they would not have put them through decades of abuse.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Re: Truth behind the trees at auburn.

Yes, I have that document bookmarked too but remember, you just can't get through to the cult once the programming is done. The koolaid is so sweet to those who are willing to drink.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment."-Nick Saban

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

[QUOTE=Drewy26;2108515]Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

Tell the congregation again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy26 View Post
    Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

I agree 100%. However, I also believe that if your out there being a JA (whoever put that jersey on CPB) then you don't get any say-so in terms of what someone does to you in return. You get what you get.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I don't keep up with the tree saga. What ever became of Updyke? It's been 2+ years, was he convicted? Is he serving time? Was he found mentally incompetent? Did he cop a plea? Was there ever a trial? Just curious.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

8. February 2nd, 2013 11:10 PM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by jef0071 View Post
    what Mr Updyke did was wrong, but he is a good person that just went a lil too far with his hatred for the Barn. I dont know Mr Updyke, but would Love to watch a game with him, no one can deny the man Loved the University of ALABAMA, im sure had he known what a lot of BAMA fans would think, and how the school would have reacted, Mr Updyke would not have went anywhere near then stupid trees.

You serious, Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by acbl_phill View Post
    http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

I know that this has been posted here before but I thought it would be a good time to repost for those that have never read it and for any lurking auburn fans.

In 2007 the university of auburn had declared the trees were dying. The rolling of the trees and pressure washing them is one of the causes. And during the seventies it was popular to roll the trees and then light the toilet paper on fire. This is what led to the pressure washing.

If the auburn fan base really cared for those trees they would not have put them through decades of abuse.
    They actually didn't start rolling the trees until the early '90s. Before that, they just rolled the power lines, but, when the lines were buried, they started rolling the trees. Even before the rolling began, the trees were barely hanging on. Their root systems had been paved over and they are far to the north out of their range, since they are normally only found along the coast...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy26 View Post

I don't disagree, but I'm tired of national media and local goons carrying on as if Updyke alone is responsible for those trees going down. This is a chance for decades of Aubies to absolve themselves of years of stupidity.

BamaNation All-American Crimson Speed's Avatar

Harvey Updike's trial is scheduled sometime around April of this year. I agree that the Auburn students were inflicting a slow death on those trees and they were destined to die anyway. Still, I can't understand how anybody can have a mindset that would drive them to poison those trees, then follow it up by calling a radio station and bragging about it. What was he thinking? It certainly was not his brightest moment.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Speed View Post
    Harvey Updike's trial is scheduled sometime around April of this year. I agree that the Auburn students were inflicting a slow death on those trees and they were destined to die anyway. Still, I can't understand how anybody can have a mindset that would drive them to poison those trees, then follow it up by calling a radio station and bragging about it. What was he thinking? It certainly was not his brightest moment.
    He's an idiot, and unfortunately, he's not the lone ranger in that regard. I'm surprised that I'm still surprised about the things I hear happening in the world these days.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Regardless of anyone's opinion of Harvey Updike, Harvey secured a poison, went to Auburn, and by his own admission, poisoned the trees. (Not a terribly smart criminal)
    Bragging about his misdeeds on the Finebaum Show, set the stage to question his
    mental capacity and if he was fit to stand trial.
    Courts ultimately decided in Auburn's favor. Auburn prevailed and Harvey's Vandalism
    was upped to a Felony
    A further complication to prosecution is that Harvey Updike is not a well man...

The trees were already beginning to 'Circle the Drain', but Harvey hastened their demise.
    NOW
    Auburn wants their pound of flesh. (From their standpoint it's understandable.)

The biggest question that has delayed prosecution of Harvey concerns his mental state.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; February 3rd, 2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: format