Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Truth behind the trees at auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    They actually didn't start rolling the trees until the early '90s. Before that, they just rolled the power lines, but, when the lines were buried, they started rolling the trees. Even before the rolling began, the trees were barely hanging on. Their root systems had been paved over and they are far to the north out of their range, since they are normally only found along the coast...

this is correct. the tree's have been supposedly bad off for as long as i could read a newspaper. i remember reading about it about once a year at least. so basically for the past 25 years or so.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CoastGhost's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

What should be intuitively obvious to the casual gardener ... The trees' roots are covered in concrete. Try growing a tree in a flower pot and see how it reacts. The root system on a healthy tree looks similar to a mirror image of the tree above ground. If those roots are not allowed to grow and collect nutrients/water etc, the tree will suffer an impact. Stress those trees with abuse (toilet paper, fire and pressure washing), a constant barrage of vehicle exhaust, elevated temperatures from concrete and asphalt without ventilation, limited nutrients and water to roots and 100 years of barner body fluids ... the trees never stood a chance. Yes, Updyke is an idiot, a criminal and a disgrace but the trees were doomed the day they were planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Speed View Post
    Harvey Updike's trial is scheduled sometime around April of this year. I agree that the Auburn students were inflicting a slow death on those trees and they were destined to die anyway. Still, I can't understand how anybody can have a mindset that would drive them to poison those trees, then follow it up by calling a radio station and bragging about it. What was he thinking? It certainly was not his brightest moment.
    It's classic immaturity, screaming "hey, look at me. look what i did." If he had truly set out on a plan just to harm the emotions of the Auburn people, he would have never claimed responsibility and just sat back and watched the trees die with the people wondering what was going on. But all this was just infantile emotion lashing out because he was angry that Auburn beat us and was having a great year.

But i agree that what Harvey Updike did to the trees pales in comparison to the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of the lunatics who are now crying about their demise. Harvey Updike has more in common with Jack Kervorkian that he does with Jeffery Dahmer........ he just put the trees out of their misery.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tebow cried, Cam lied, Trees died, and LSU tried..........ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
    It's classic immaturity, screaming "hey, look at me. look what i did." If he had truly set out on a plan just to harm the emotions of the Auburn people, he would have never claimed responsibility and just sat back and watched the trees die with the people wondering what was going on. But all this was just infantile emotion lashing out because he was angry that Auburn beat us and was having a great year.

But i agree that what Harvey Updike did to the trees pales in comparison to the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of the lunatics who are now crying about their demise. Harvey Updike has more in common with Jack Kervorkian that he does with Jeffery Dahmer........ he just put the trees out of their misery.
    He was on TI on a regular basis under the name of ""Al from Dadeville." Of course, he claimed just to know Updyke, but he was basically bragging and looking for reaffirmation...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation All-American Catfish's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jef0071 View Post
    what Mr Updyke did was wrong, but he is a good person that just went a lil too far with his hatred for the Barn. I dont know Mr Updyke, but would Love to watch a game with him, no one can deny the man Loved the University of ALABAMA, im sure had he known what a lot of BAMA fans would think, and how the school would have reacted, Mr Updyke would not have went anywhere near then stupid trees.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

BamaNation Hall of Fame IH8Orange's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, Mr. Updyke is still a human, with children and grandchildren and the trees are TREES.

We have people out here everyday doing stupid things that hurt other people and they often don't do any prison time and it's ridiculous to take this man away from his family in his last days for poisoning some trees, regardless of the sentimental value of them to a group of people. The only reason that the barners are hell bent to punish him is because he is a Bama fan and that is it. They've been killing the trees for years and they KNEW that they were killing the trees since 2007 per this article and they continued to roll them and pressure wash the paper off the trees, so if they are going to try to punish Mr. Updyke for knowingly harming the trees, then they need to toss every idiot that threw toilet paper on them or pressure washed them since this article into the cell with him.
    "If it feels good, then you're not doing it right" - Coach Scott Cochran

"Sharing a conference with Nick Saban is like sharing a steak with a lion. Only one of you wins that battle. And it's not you." - Gregg Doyel

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

The trees will no longer be trees after April 20, 2013. They will be forever famous as they are now in Wikipedia under Live Oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 45longcolt View Post
    The trees will no longer be trees after April 20, 2013. They will be forever famous as they are now in Wikipedia under Live Oaks.
    They've wrung a lot of PR out of those miserable trees, which were doomed before Updyke, a Florida native who spent most of his life in Texas ever thought about them. Unfortunately for old Harvey, you can go into a hospital ward and place a gun against the temple of someone minutes from death of cancer and pull the trigger and it's murder. That's his problem. He intervened in the last 2% of the lifespan of those trees...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

The trees' condition and how the owners treated them over the years is beside the point, and certainly doesn't justify them being poisoned.

At the same time, as a Bama fan, I feel no shame or guilt over what the idiot that poisoned them did. And I really don't care what they do to him, or how harshly he's sentenced.

Good riddance to the whole miserable story, trees and all, in my humble opinion.

BamaNation First Team saraelizabethua's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    I don't disagree, but I'm tired of national media and local goons carrying on as if Updyke alone is responsible for those trees going down. This is a chance for decades of Aubies to absolve themselves of years of stupidity.
    Updyke committed a crime. Whatever the media says about him is probably deserved.

But I'M tired of national media and logal goons carrying on as if The University of Alabama and its fans are AT ALL responsible for those trees going down.
    Last edited by saraelizabethua; February 5th, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: embarrassing spelling error, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastGhost View Post
    What should be intuitively obvious to the casual gardener ... The trees' roots are covered in concrete. Try growing a tree in a flower pot and see how it reacts. The root system on a healthy tree looks similar to a mirror image of the tree above ground. If those roots are not allowed to grow and collect nutrients/water etc, the tree will suffer an impact. Stress those trees with abuse (toilet paper, fire and pressure washing), a constant barrage of vehicle exhaust, elevated temperatures from concrete and asphalt without ventilation, limited nutrients and water to roots and 100 years of barner body fluids ... the trees never stood a chance. Yes, Updyke is an idiot, a criminal and a disgrace but the trees were doomed the day they were planted.
    Aren't the trees Live Oaks? There is no good reason to plant Live Oaks anywhere in an urban setting. They are measured by wingspan, so a healthy Live Oak will have limbs reaching out well over 50' from the trunk, with a root system reaching out just as far. Put one on a street corner, and you have to cut back those limbs to keep them from growing into the buildings and causing hazards for any vehicle taller than an SUV. They should plant Crepe Myrtles instead. Those things will grow anywhere and are hard to kill. If you don't trim them, they will get pretty big, too.

BamaNation All-SEC

Yes, the trees never had a fighting chance in that spot. And I am heartily sick of hearing about them. I'm more sick of hearing about Harvey. That said, I have trouble believing that the law enforcement and judiciary of Alabama don't have more important things to spend their time on than a guy who put herbicide around some dying trees then bragged about it. A felony? Deliver me.

Wonder how many trees the Yeller Feller's minions cut down in a year?
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by pigsinspace View Post
    Aren't the trees Live Oaks? There is no good reason to plant Live Oaks anywhere in an urban setting. They are measured by wingspan, so a healthy Live Oak will have limbs reaching out well over 50' from the trunk, with a root system reaching out just as far. Put one on a street corner, and you have to cut back those limbs to keep them from growing into the buildings and causing hazards for any vehicle taller than an SUV. They should plant Crepe Myrtles instead. Those things will grow anywhere and are hard to kill. If you don't trim them, they will get pretty big, too.
    You treated everything except the fact that they were planted far outside their normal range (although the range has expanded somewhat northward because of global warming)...