Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Recipes
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Re: Truth behind the trees at auburn.

Quote Originally Posted by pigsinspace View Post
    Aren't the trees Live Oaks? There is no good reason to plant Live Oaks anywhere in an urban setting. They are measured by wingspan, so a healthy Live Oak will have limbs reaching out well over 50' from the trunk, with a root system reaching out just as far. Put one on a street corner, and you have to cut back those limbs to keep them from growing into the buildings and causing hazards for any vehicle taller than an SUV. They should plant Crepe Myrtles instead. Those things will grow anywhere and are hard to kill. If you don't trim them, they will get pretty big, too.
    Yes. The trees are Quercus virginiae. It is an evergreen species of oak that does great in places like New Orleans, south Mississippi, south Alabama and northwest Florida. They also do well in the coastal regions of southern Georgia and South Carolina.

They drop their acorns in fall and leaves in spring and sprout new growth immediately after the last frost of the season.

They don't do well in urban settings and they are not hardy beyond USDA Zone 8 except under pristine growing conditions.

Those trees have been dying a slow death since they started pressure washing them. That corner and that setting is nowhere near "pristine."

While I share Drewy's sentiment regarding Harvey Updyke, all he really did was shove those trees over a precipice they were inching towards since fRan was our coach.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    You treated everything except the fact that they were planted far outside their normal range (although the range has expanded somewhat northward because of global warming)...
    You are correct, Earle. As I've said in previous threads, those of us who live along the coast see hundreds of live oaks each day and none of them look as unhealthy as those trees have looked for many years. They haven't looked healthy in at least 10 years. They look similar to some of the ones you would see after Ivan and Katrina that were harmed by wind and salt water.

In no way does that excuse the actions of Updyke, but they were on their way out already. If anything it frustrates me more because he didn't need to do it. He may have slightly expedited the process, but they weren't going to be around much longer anyway.

BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Yes. The trees are Quercus virginiae. It is an evergreen species of oak that does great in places like New Orleans, south Mississippi, south Alabama and northwest Florida. They also do well in the coastal regions of southern Georgia and South Carolina.

They drop their acorns in fall and leaves in spring and sprout new growth immediately after the last frost of the season.

They don't do well in urban settings and they are not hardy beyond USDA Zone 8 except under pristine growing conditions.

Those trees have been dying a slow death since they started pressure washing them. That corner and that setting is nowhere near "pristine."

While I share Drewy's sentiment regarding Harvey Updyke, all he really did was shove those trees over a precipice they were inching towards since fRan was our coach.
    Well said.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Forgive my memory but didn't a 'scientist' from Auburn originally say that he detected no poisoning or maybe a marginal, non threatening amount?

Updyke commited at Most a minor misdemeanor and is a bad example of an Alabama football fan, but for anyone to be charged with a felony for these actions is absurd. The barn took full advantage of a PR opportunity and played it to the fullest, most absurd degree.

They are TREES. I mean TREES. How many TREES have you killed in your lifetime? I couldn't tell you but I have worn out many chain saw blades killing TREES myself. Not to mention the 100's of TREES I have Killed clearing land with a bulldozer.

I think the whole ordeal is utterly ridiculous.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    Forgive my memory but didn't a 'scientist' from Auburn originally say that he detected no poisoning or maybe a marginal, non threatening amount?

Updyke commited at Most a minor misdemeanor and is a bad example of an Alabama football fan, but for anyone to be charged with a felony for these actions is absurd. The barn took full advantage of a PR opportunity and played it to the fullest, most absurd degree.

They are TREES. I mean TREES. How many TREES have you killed in your lifetime? I couldn't tell you but I have worn out many chain saw blades killing TREES myself. Not to mention the 100's of TREES I have Killed clearing land with a bulldozer.

I think the whole ordeal is utterly ridiculous.
    I killed about 8 red and water oaks day before yesterday. They were seedlings from acorns that squirrels tend to bury in my flower beds and hedgerows. Granted they were only two or three feet tall, but I guess you could call me a mass murderer.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Truth behind the trees at auburn.

What does the City of Auburn consider them? They sure aren't a national or even state treasure.

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamainBoston's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy26 View Post
    Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Can't say I've ever felt one ounce of shame related to Alabama.

BamaNation First Team Stonewall1959's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by saraelizabethua View Post
    Updyke committed a crime. Whatever the media says about him is probably deserved.

But I'M tired of national media and local goons carrying on as if The University of Alabama and its fans are AT ALL responsible for those trees going down.
    Can't agree more.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

That's my issue with him. I go on other boards and people call us Updykes. Makes me want to puke.

BamaNation First Team

Just hear that tree story couple days ago about the "last roll" after their spring game. Prolly some bad news coming soon for AU. They need a new sympathy story, that one is worn out.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    Why yes, now that you mention it.

Toomer's Oaks are Fine(baum)- Just a Toilet Paper Overdose.
    I have been watching all the traffic related to possible poisoning of Toomer's oaks. I heard over the water cooler that someone called into the Paul Finebaum Show claiming they had poisoned the Toomer's oaks with the herbicide Spike. I was very skeptical, but I knew I could quickly determine if this was true. First, never passing up a teachable moment let me do some explaining.

The herbicide in question is sold by the name "Spike", but the active ingredient, the chemical compound that actually kills the plants, is called tebuthiuron. Tebuthiuron is very specific in its action--it essentially blocks photosynthesis from occurring. It is very specific to plants and is safe to humans.

With many herbicides, if one wants to tell if a plant has been purposely treated, one would take soil and leaf samples, extract the herbicide, and run it through some chemical analytical test to determine if the herbicide is present. This process can take weeks. But with tebuthiuron, since it specifically stops photosynthesis, a negative herbicide effect can be determined in a few minutes.

So I took my handy, dandy handheld chlorophyll fluorometer up to Toomer's Corner, clamped it on a few leaves and checked photosynthesis. Everything is fine. It has been two months since the alleged poisoning, and there should be a reduction in photosynthetic activity-- and there is not. Just in case it occurred more recently, Auburn Horticulture has taken some soil and leaf samples for future analysis, if any damage ever appears. For now that is a moot point, the trees are fine, just a little beat up from all the toilet paper clean up. I will keep checking over the next few weeks just to make sure.

To anyone who has had the idea of poisoning Toomer's oaks or killing your neighbor's tree that is blocking your satellite reception--you can easily be caught. Not only can one quickly measure photosynthesis of the plant, but the herbicide will last up to a year in the soil surface and a little longer in the killed plant. It will be very easy to catch you.

- Scott McElroy, PhD
    Department of Agronomy and Soils
    Twitter: @auburnturf

Original post here.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy26 View Post
    Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree....I hate that this nutcase destroyed what was important to our rivals in the name of being an "Alabama Fan".
    Coach Bryant's mantra of winning and losing with class is important.
    Bama 874-315-44 72.6% On the field

23 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    Why yes, now that you mention it.

Toomer's Oaks are Fine(baum)- Just a Toilet Paper Overdose.
    I have been watching all the traffic related to possible poisoning of Toomer's oaks. I heard over the water cooler that someone called into the Paul Finebaum Show claiming they had poisoned the Toomer's oaks with the herbicide Spike. I was very skeptical, but I knew I could quickly determine if this was true. First, never passing up a teachable moment let me do some explaining.

The herbicide in question is sold by the name "Spike", but the active ingredient, the chemical compound that actually kills the plants, is called tebuthiuron. Tebuthiuron is very specific in its action--it essentially blocks photosynthesis from occurring. It is very specific to plants and is safe to humans.

With many herbicides, if one wants to tell if a plant has been purposely treated, one would take soil and leaf samples, extract the herbicide, and run it through some chemical analytical test to determine if the herbicide is present. This process can take weeks. But with tebuthiuron, since it specifically stops photosynthesis, a negative herbicide effect can be determined in a few minutes.

So I took my handy, dandy handheld chlorophyll fluorometer up to Toomer's Corner, clamped it on a few leaves and checked photosynthesis. Everything is fine. It has been two months since the alleged poisoning, and there should be a reduction in photosynthetic activity-- and there is not. Just in case it occurred more recently, Auburn Horticulture has taken some soil and leaf samples for future analysis, if any damage ever appears. For now that is a moot point, the trees are fine, just a little beat up from all the toilet paper clean up. I will keep checking over the next few weeks just to make sure.

To anyone who has had the idea of poisoning Toomer's oaks or killing your neighbor's tree that is blocking your satellite reception--you can easily be caught. Not only can one quickly measure photosynthesis of the plant, but the herbicide will last up to a year in the soil surface and a little longer in the killed plant. It will be very easy to catch you.

- Scott McElroy, PhD
    Department of Agronomy and Soils
    Twitter: @auburnturf

Original post here.
    Right after the poisoning, I posted some pix of a tree owned by a client of mine. The perp was his next door neighbor, a retired MD. There was not only a brown circle around the two trees, there was a brown streak in the grass, running down towards my neighbor's driveway, which was lower in elevation than the Spike-poisoned tree. Being familiar with Spike and it's effects, I was very skeptical from the outset. My client's trees didn't die slowly like these live oaks. They up and dropped their leaves and died immediately. Of course with live oaks, photosynthesis is just about a year-round process. I'm inclined to believe that their abuse of the trees is the main cause of death...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus