Where We Stand: 48 Hours to National Signing Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
With 48 hours to NSD, a quick recap of where things stand after a crazy weekend on the recruiting trails:

Dee Liner did not take an official visit to Georgia this weekend, as was rumored for a short period of time. Scheduled to announce at 11:00 Central on Wednesday. Barring a shocker, he will sign with Alabama.

Alvin Kamara showed up again in Tuscaloosa this weekend on an unofficial visit, and it appeared he wanted to keep the visit secret until Christion Jones spilled the beans on Twitter. 'Bama v. Georgia race for the longest here, and UGA has moved on to other targets. Announcing at 3:30 Central on Wednesday. Barring a shocker, he will sign with Alabama.

Reuben Foster continued with the melodrama, taking an official visit to Auburn before leaving mid-visit and coming to Tuscaloosa after an altercation with Auburn center Reese Dismukes. Much like Kamara, it appeared he wanted to keep the visit secret until Christion Jones couldn't stay quiet on social media. He's scheduled to announce tonight on FSN live from Atlanta, though there has been disputes on the specific time. Will he sign on Wednesday with who he announces with? Even he probably doesn't know that. For now the takeaway seems to be 'Bama with a thread-of-the-hair type lead over Auburn, with Georgia largely out of the picture. Again, who knows how it ends up? With Foster, always expect the unexpected and the ridiculously absurd.

A'Shawn Robinson informed the Texas coaching staff that he would not sign with the Longhorns, and then informed the Alabama coaching staff he would sign with the Tide. Could a last-minute about-face happen? Certainly, but it does not seem imminent at this point. Probably not as strong of a lock as Liner or Kamara, even with the revelation this weekend, but Robinson is expected to sign with Alabama. FWIW, while the staff thought they had a fighting chance with Robinson, this latest development was a real surprise and has left the staff juggling with the numbers. A coup with Robinson could throw a monkey wrench for a few guys...

Eddie Vanderdoes
had a very good official visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend with several family members in tow, and it has become clear that Alabama has a real shot here. Lot of people out west now think he leaves the state, so this could be a 'Bama v. Notre Dame battle. He's announcing late on Wednesday evening, so this could throw a real monkey wrench in the numbers game. Probably a toss-up at this point.

Jarran Reed, the nominal Ole Miss commitment, canceled an official visit to Oxford this weekend and instead decided to take an unofficial visit to Tuscaloosa. Prior to the A'Shawn Robinson development, it looked like Reed was a definite take and that his recruitment was all but over. The news on Robinson and the visit by Vanderdoes changes all of that, given that both players are likely above Reed on the pecking order. If we have room, we'll take him. If not, he's probably going to Florida. He probably does not have a spot if both Robinson and Vanderdoes sign with the Tide.

Antonio Conner has seemingly been making a late surge with Alabama. Surely Ole Miss won't miss on a South Panola kid given their other recruiting successes of the hour, right? That is what I would think, so I still figure this one ends up in Oxford, but he is a definite take for 'Bama and this looks to be close right now. Connor clearly holds Saban in very high regard, and the feeling is mutual.

Those seven guys are basically the remaining board at this point. Barring a really big surprise, I wouldn't expect 'Bama to get a signature out of anyone else. A few more prospects are out there which we have recruited -- Adams, Poggi, Bell, Tunsil, etc. -- but those guys will either go elsewhere or at most have a greyshirt option.

In terms of potential de-commitments, none are expected at this time. Obviously people will be anxiously awaiting by the fax machine over Altee Tenpenny and Robert Foster -- and Reuben Foster, too, if he "commits" tonight -- but they really haven't shown any meaningful sign of wavering. Somebody also mentioned Tyren Jones as possibly going to UGA at the last second, but I've seen absolutely nothing to give that any validity and at most it was one comment from one source. Anything can happen come NSD, but it seems like the odds are strongly in favor of all of the current commits sticking.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
has anyone considered the possibility of the long snapper grayshirting? Or even paying his own way? I mean, he's a long snapper, who went to a long snapper camp, just kind of assuming he would come from a family who could pay his way for one year or so. That would free up a spot, with AJ staying would they consider grayshirting Parker? Or even letting him loose? Del Rio, on paper, seems to have more physical ability, and he isn't costing a scholly to hang around. This is all speculation on my part, no sources, just discussion on how to shoehorn this cornucopia of talent we have wanting to come here.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
has anyone considered the possibility of the long snapper grayshirting? Or even paying his own way? I mean, he's a long snapper, who went to a long snapper camp, just kind of assuming he would come from a family who could pay his way for one year or so. That would free up a spot, with AJ staying would they consider grayshirting Parker? Or even letting him loose? Del Rio, on paper, seems to have more physical ability, and he isn't costing a scholly to hang around. This is all speculation on my part, no sources, just discussion on how to shoehorn this cornucopia of talent we have wanting to come here.

Accepting his commitment for a long period of time, and then cutting him 2 days before NSD would be some really bad mojo, publicity wise.

and I think we took the snapper because we needed a snapper, we lost ours to graduation.

birdiebo

Feb 2, 2012
Bham
Interesting thought, **. Including Parker M, don't we have seven QB's right now? You'd hate to think that we've kept his commitment for months, only to cut him loose at the last minute, but if Vanderdoes wanted to come in late...
One other angle: if Phillip Ely is ready to move on, would that open another spot for the 2013 class?

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
Accepting his commitment for a long period of time, and then cutting him 2 days before NSD would be some really bad mojo, publicity wise.

and I think we took the snapper because we needed a snapper, we lost ours to graduation.
I agree 100%. Longsnappers are only needed if you feel the field goals and extra points important. How many games are decided on a kick? Saban is very smart to get the best longsnapper. He may not get the publicity of some of the other 5 stars, but he will probably be more valuable on the field.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Also, think about who might be qb for the offensive players. That's going to be an awesome battle too watch, who will the leaders be. Will Kirby smart still be d cor. For these guys for the next 4 years? How hungry are they? It will be an amazing spring practice

Last edited:

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I agree 100%. Longsnappers are only needed if you feel the field goals and extra points important. How many games are decided on a kick? Saban is very smart to get the best longsnapper. He may not get the publicity of some of the other 5 stars, but he will probably be more valuable on the field.
they're only important after a problem...then people wonder what happened to the long snapper..
;)

A team needs a lot of pieces, not just 20 DE/DL's

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't mean this in any negative way but if I was a running back looking at our existing depth, incoming commits, and with Henry already enrolled I'd have to think long and hard before i inked with Bama. You could be one of the best running backs in the nation and start out at 8th team or lower lol..
Just a thought.
sip

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
I don't mean this in any negative way but if I was a running back looking at our existing depth, incoming commits, and with Henry already enrolled I'd have to think long and hard before i inked with Bama. You could be one of the best running backs in the nation and start out at 8th team or lower lol..
Just a thought.
sip
You are right Sip, however if you are a running back that is afraid of competition Alabama is not the place for you. These are big schollys and only the absolute best get to play.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I don't mean this in any negative way
That is exactly the line that Richt is using on Kamara and Arkansas is using on Tennpenny.

There is always room for a good running back in Alabama's system - even if it takes a couple of years to get meaningful playing time. Running back is the one position where extra mileage is a bad thing. NFL teams don't care about a college RB's career stats - they care about his abilities and health.

Also, remember that Henry was probably overused in high school and Yeldon is the only healthy returning RB. Saban has his reasons for stacking the RB position.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
That is exactly the line that Richt is using on Kamara and Arkansas is using on Tennpenny.

There is always room for a good running back in Alabama's system - even if it takes a couple of years to get meaningful playing time. Running back is the one position where extra mileage is a bad thing. NFL teams don't care about a college RB's career stats - they care about his abilities and health.

Also, remember that Henry was probably overused in high school and Yeldon is the only healthy returning RB. Saban has his reasons for stacking the RB position.

He wasnt saying 'why' saban was stacking it, just that looking at it, recruits have to see the level of talent coming in, and whats already on campus...that was all

of course, other schools would try to bring out that point, but it isnt a secret at all.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Just a thought.
sip
It would definitely get attention, but as others have mentioned, those afraid of competition won't sign with Bama right now anyway because we bring in great talent every year. I definitely understand your argument, especially with our current class (I think we'll only get a big bama fan at RB for 2014) because of the # signed this year. On the flip side, Bama could have a RB taken in Round 1 in 3 consecutive NFL drafts, with 2 of the 3 only "starting" for one season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.