RB Alex Collins Commits to Arkansas, Mom Runs Off with LOI

Re: Alex Collins Commits to Arkansas

it is required and can't be accepted otherwise.....she prefers Miami
And that's the ridiculous thing. He doesn't even live with his mother at this point, and it's not her decision to make.

It's about as ridiculous as the NCAA requiring parental/guardian signatures on NLI's for athletes over 18 but under 21.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007

And that's the ridiculous thing. He doesn't even live with his mother at this point, and it's not her decision to make.

It's about as ridiculous as the NCAA requiring parental/guardian signatures on NLI's for athletes over 18 but under 21.
It is a legal issue. In some states a contract is not binding if signed by someone under 21. The LOI is a contract and has to be signed by a guardian to be binding.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

If he wants to go to Arkansas, he'll go there.. He can get around it with the legal system if pushed far enough...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Re: Alex Collins Commits to Arkansas (mom runs off with LOI)

This would happen to Arkansas...
I actually feel kinda bad for the Razorbacks, and Collins...
embarassing for both of them...

lets face it, arkansas has had a pretty tough last year...remember the press conferences with their interim coach, "where am I" smith?
:)

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Does he have to have the LOI in order for Arkansas to give him a scholarship? I thought I read that the LOI was not really necessary for a school to give a kid a scholarship. I'll see if I can locate the article.

Update:
Per the ESPN article:
Andrea McDonald fled with the paperwork because she doesn't want Collins to leave home, the sources said. Collins is 18 and does not need a parent or guardian to co-sign his letter of intent.
Seems like this is a non-issue for Arkansas if they just get him another LOI.

Last edited:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

Per the ESPN article: Andrea McDonald fled with the paperwork because she doesn't want Collins to leave home, the sources said. Collins is 18 and does not need a parent or guardian to co-sign his letter of intent.
According to the NCAA, ESPN's statement is incorrect. Anyone under 21 must have a a guardian's signature. They are probably confusing it with the Institutional Financial Aid Agreement. NCAA rules below...

PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN SIGNATURE REQUIRED: A prospective student-athlete's parent/legal guardian must cosign the NLI with the prospective student-athlete if he or she has not reached the age of 21. Falsification of a signature or a signature by a party other than the prospective student-athlete and the prospective student-athlete's parent/legal guardian may result in a prospective student-athlete forfeiting the first year of eligibility at any NLI participating institution.

INSTITUTIONAL FINANCIAL AID AGREEMENT: If the institution requires that a parent or legal guardian must sign the financial aid agreement accompanying the NLI for a prospective student-athlete who has not reached the age of 18, the parent or legal guardian signature is not required on the institutional financial aid agreement if the prospective student-athlete is over the age of 18. Thus, the parent or legal guardian signature may be required for the NLI (under 21) but not for the financial aid agreement (under 18).
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=cfefa2004e0dc6e994fbf41ad6fc8b25

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Somebody forwarded a tweet (re-tweeted?) that said, "If he can't run down his mom, he might be a better fit for the Big 10."

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

A player does not have to sign a LOI. It merely binds him to a school...he can apply, be accepted at UA, show up next fall and be given a scholarship. The LOI binds the school -- but for one year only. I had a DII Conference Commissioner explain this to me a few years ago. It really is weighted on the side of the universities.

But that has nothing to do with Collins and his Mom.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.