The virtues of greyshirting

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I've seen a few comments lately on greyshirting, and given the momentum Alabama has, this will likely be an issue in the next few days. One thing I can not figure out, is why the practice is demonized so much. As I understand it, this practice doesn't even have a negative impact on three and done players, since the three years apply to leaving high school, not going to college. So, why is this practice demonized at all? It has virtually no negative consequences, and many positives.

This is all in the landscape of the NCAA, and college football. You can only provide 25 new scholarships a year, and in the SEC you can only sign 25 players at all. This puts a premium on each slot, and in turn you are expected to honor your scholarship offers. Yet, athletes are fickle, so you end up with this insane proposition that you have 25 slots, you must keep your word, but you have no way of knowing who will say yes or no. Greyshirting is usually used as a last resort to resolve this issue, and Nick Saban was demonized for offering a greyshirt last year. However, I think greyshirts should be used more often and offer a multitude of positives for the athlete.

The term greyshirt is not a formal term, and it allows for a lot of confusion when it comes to what it actually means. In that regard, if anything I say is not accurate I welcome clarification. A common definition I saw seems to be entirely inaccurate with how Alabama would use it, in that it states a greyshirt is someone that signs an LOI and then enrolls in school and pays their own way for a year. With the SEC signing limit, a "greyshirt" at Alabama would be unlikely to sign an LOI, and in addition to that as I understand it, if an athlete enrolls full time at a school, their eligibility clock starts. This would defeat a lot of the purpose of greyshirting. An athlete can take some classes, but that's not necessary at all in order to greyshirt. I think this confusion makes it easier to demonize the practice, as people imagine it as forcing a player to pay their own way through school.

So, what are the benefits?
6 years to play 4: This buys extra time for a college athlete. If you are striving towards an NFL career, the additional time can make a big difference.
Early enrollee: Delaying enrollment does not require waiting a full year, it merely requires waiting until January to enroll. This not only allows the athlete to participate in spring practice, but it also allows them additional time in the classroom, putting them closer to graduating or an advanced degree. In this regard, they gain even more time, as enrolling a few months earlier would have cost them a full year of eligibility/athletic scholarship.
Time to heal: Greyshirting is particularly useful if a player is recovering from an injury. If they are not able to perform football activities, why on earth would they want to start their eligibility clock?
Time to develop: Some positions are much more demanding than others. Mental and physical development can be key. Giving the athlete this additional time could be the difference between a pro career or not, and could greatly affect their impact as a college football player.
Some time off: They are heading into a college career, which could turn into a pro career. It's hard for me to grasp why the prospect of a break after high school should be such a bad thing.

After thinking this through, I'm puzzled why it is not used more often. In truth, I think college coaches are hesitant to offer it because if more people realized all the advantages, they might have trouble getting potential instant contributors on campus. Imagine if Amari Cooper for example decided he wanted the time off and greyshirted? So, I suppose coaches are not too hasty to point out the advantages either, since they need a vast majority of their recruits on the football field ASAP. However, I will remain puzzled when someone says "____ wouldn't take a greyshirt offer". Really? They're in a hurry for their eligibility to run out? The only players that should even consider balking at this offer would be three and done players that know they would play right away (in which case why greyshirt them?). Even players that wouldn't redshirt have very little to complain about, and should they decide to transfer, having that redshirt year available would come in handy.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts in this issue, since the public perception seems to be rather ill informed.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
KrAzY,

I dont think the greyshirt in itself is the problem, but how it is utilized by some coaches causes the negative view. In some instances, the grey offer has not been stated to a potential student athelete upfront and openly, giving them the opportunity to look for other options and limiting their ability to continue their recruitment which has limited their other options.

If the information about a potential grey offer is given upfront and openly, and is agreeable to both parties, then it isnt a negative (I.E. Bradley Bozeman).

Unfortunately, in a lot of situations, it has had a negative effect because its used as a tool to bring in others at the last moment and limits the offer previously given to them.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I don't think greyshirting is a bad thing for the right person. i.e. if they are injured or if they want to take a break from school.
I do think there are some disadvantages. Most kids do better when they can continue their studies without a break. Taking a 8 month break can break some good study habits. Many times, if they are not taking part time classes (in which they would have to pay for on their own), they are no longer covered under their parents health insurance if they are 18 years old. Many of these kids are good enough to play right away at other schools and by offering them a greyshirt after they have held a solid offer, it can hurt their pride.
I'm not saying greyshirt is a bad thing for the right person. I'm just saying I understand why it is not the ideal situation for many. If a person really wants to come to Bama, but there just isn't room; this gives them a legit option.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
If I was asked to grey shirt, I would not feel like I was wanted as much by the staff as the other players. It all depends on how it is sold to the player. I'm sure a kid feels included at Alabama.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
If I was asked to grey shirt, I would not feel like I was wanted as much by the staff as the other players. It all depends on how it is sold to the player. I'm sure a kid feels included at Alabama.
John Parker Wilson was a grayshirt and he was very wanted by the staff.

It's akin to Tom Brady restructuring his contract to help the team find space for other players. It ends up being a win-win for everybody.

Saban seems to be savvy enough and care enough to factor in which players grayshirting would be appropriate for and which ones wouldn't do well with an 8 month break.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Unfortunately, in a lot of situations, it has had a negative effect because its used as a tool to bring in others at the last moment and limits the offer previously given to them.
I have not seen rampant abuse by coaches, but I would agree that a player needs to be informed in advance. However, if a coach offers a football player a football scholarship, and offers him to play football, and he gets hurt, what should be done? You pull it and you get demonized, you honor it and you're not helping the team or the athlete. You offer a greyshirt and at least he gets a chance to heal. On the other hand, with the hard 25 signing limit, if you have 3 spots and 4 outstanding offers, what can you do if all four commit? Coaches lack a crystal ball and were adamantly against the SEC signing limit...
it can hurt their pride.
So? Isn't the whole point of college to help them grow up?
Taking a 8 month break can break some good study habits. Many times, if they are not taking part time classes (in which they would have to pay for on their own), they are no longer covered under their parents health insurance if they are 18 years old.
Let's be clear, there's nothing keeping these kids from getting a job. Secondly, I think we're talking about August to January, so not 8 months. If they need time to heal, or time for anything (including touching up on academics, on their own time) the benefits outweigh the downside of the free time.
John Parker Wilson was a grayshirt and he was very wanted by the staff.
Perfect example. He went on to sign with an NFL team, and got to have a great senior year. Without that additional time, it is rather unlikely that he could have done anything of note at Alabama.

I agree that the practice could be misused, but if Nick Saban were to offer me a greyshirt, and didn't explicitly state that he'd prefer I not accept it, I would be confident it was what was best for me. I also still can't fathom how it's a bad practice in general, so what if a player has to get a job for a few months?

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
It's akin to Tom Brady restructuring his contract to help the team find space for other players. It ends up being a win-win for everybody.
Not really the same. If you are asked to greyshirt, you know you are last or near the bottom of the priorities for that class. I think having early enrollees plus readshirting gives may of the same "benefits" of greyshirting.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I have not seen rampant abuse by coaches, but I would agree that a player needs to be informed in advance. However, if a coach offers a football player a football scholarship, and offers him to play football, and he gets hurt, what should be done? You pull it and you get demonized, you honor it and you're not helping the team or the athlete. You offer a greyshirt and at least he gets a chance to heal. On the other hand, with the hard 25 signing limit, if you have 3 spots and 4 outstanding offers, what can you do if all four commit? Coaches lack a crystal ball and were adamantly against the SEC signing limit...

So? Isn't the whole point of college to help them grow up?

Let's be clear, there's nothing keeping these kids from getting a job. Secondly, I think we're talking about August to January, so not 8 months. If they need time to heal, or time for anything (including touching up on academics, on their own time) the benefits outweigh the downside of the free time.

Perfect example. He went on to sign with an NFL team, and got to have a great senior year. Without that additional time, it is rather unlikely that he could have done anything of note at Alabama.

I agree that the practice could be misused, but if Nick Saban were to offer me a greyshirt, and didn't explicitly state that he'd prefer I not accept it, I would be confident it was what was best for me. I also still can't fathom how it's a bad practice in general, so what if a player has to get a job for a few months?
basically, that might be okay for you, but others may not feel the same way.

As long as its done out in the open and upfront, it isnt a bad practice, but if its first stated to someone you gave an offer to a day before signing day, well, thats wrong.

Done right, its not necessarily a bad thing, but the player should have ample time to make a decision as to whats right for themselves.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not really the same. If you are asked to greyshirt, you know you are last or near the bottom of the priorities for that class. I think having early enrollees plus readshirting gives may of the same "benefits" of greyshirting.
I think this statement is very misinformed. Firstly, the kids that haven't already enrolled can not be early enrollees! At least that's how I understand it, besides that greyshirting does not take away the potential redshirt! So, that dispels both of those.

As to the latter portion, no, greyshirting does not mean a player is near the bottom of the priorities list. It's already been mentioned that John Parker Wilson was a greyshirt, and as I recall he was a Parade All American and a very high priority. Rumor is that Henry Poggi was offered, and is considering a greyshirt offer. Now, you might believe he's a low priority, but he's a top 100 player and I think that's not at all the case. Rather, he's at a position that can develop slower than others, and he got in on the action later.

It's this type of stuff that irritates me. It's easy enough to take these inaccuracies and present them to a potential recruit, acting as though a greyshirt offer is bad or a sign of disrespect, when there's plenty of evidence that it is neither.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Here's another write-up on it LINK:

In a perfect world – at least in a perfect NCAA world – a coach would extend 25 scholarships to 25 players. All of those players would commit on the spot, and no one would get their feelings hurt. This is a land of unicorns and cotton candy clouds. It’s a land that does not exist.

Coaches don’t offer scholarships to 25 different recruits. They offer scholarships to 50-70+ recruits because not every kid who receives an offer will commit. This problem is compounded by the fact that a large portion of these recruits hold off on their commitments until signing day. Coaching staffs have their hands tied. Offer too few kids and they run the risk of not signing a full class. Offer too many kids and they run the risk of having to ask one of them to accept a grayshirt.

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
As long as its done out in the open and upfront, it isnt a bad practice, but if its first stated to someone you gave an offer to a day before signing day, well, thats wrong.

Done right, its not necessarily a bad thing, but the player should have ample time to make a decision as to whats right for themselves.
This........ the timing of the greyshirt conversation with the recruit is the critical element, IMHO.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Krazy (that is a fitting name for you),
I've learned you are not worth arguing with, since you refuse to see 2 sides of a coin. But just for giggles:
1. The 8 months come from May-Jan. High school graduation is in May in case you never did graduate.
2. I think you should take an extra 5 months off from your job (assuming you have one) and just figure out something to do. Go get another job, get metally healthy, touch up on your skills. Understand that for some kids, school is their job.
3. If you really loved to play football, and a coach asked you not to play football this year in order to allow another player to play in your spot, would you be happy? Probably not. This is why instead of taking a greshirt offer, some will choose to go to another school.

Please understand that I'm a proponent of greyshirting. I think it is a big advantage for the right person in the right situation. Your initial post sounded like you didn't understand some of the disadvantages of greyshirting.

I'm sure this will make you even more KRAZY. Have fun with your rebuttal. I won't be responding to you anymore. Have a great day.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A common definition I saw seems to be entirely inaccurate with how Alabama would use it, in that it states a greyshirt is someone that signs an LOI and then enrolls in school and pays their own way for a year. With the SEC signing limit, a "greyshirt" at Alabama would be unlikely to sign an LOI, and in addition to that as I understand it, if an athlete enrolls full time at a school, their eligibility clock starts. This would defeat a lot of the purpose of greyshirting. An athlete can take some classes, but that's not necessary at all in order to greyshirt. I think this confusion makes it easier to demonize the practice, as people imagine it as forcing a player to pay their own way through school.

Yes I think some people get confused at this part. Most kids who greyshirt are exncouraged to enroll in school (whether at UA or a local CC), just not full time. As long as the stay under 12 credit hours, the clock doesn't start ticking. While you don't have to, it does help with continuity. Plus, you already have credits towards your degree. I used to buy in to the whole "why are you making this kid pay for school" mess too. It's one, part time, semester though...and it's optional. I think there are a ton of kids who would benefit from Greyshirting each year. Just for the chance to get ahead in the classroom before the workload gets tough with so much football. It would keep academic casualties down, and raise graduation rates. It would lead to more mature guys when they hit the field as Freshmen or Sophomores. While they couldn't work out with the team until the following spring, they could start the conditioning program on their own leading them to be in better shape when they do start practice. It really is a win/win for players and the teams involved, as long as you give expectations on the front side, and not try to do it last minute.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
he 8 months come from May-Jan.
For the sake of those that had to read the rest of the drivel, I looked up the enrollment periods and I was getting August at when they would be enrolling for that semester. I'm not sure if it is possible to enroll earlier (obviously some could enroll in January, but not if they are in high school), but that is also when fall practice starts. I didn't look up the issue thoroughly, of when exactly one could enroll at Alabama.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Krazy (that is a fitting name for you),
I've learned you are not worth arguing with, since you refuse to see 2 sides of a coin. But just for giggles:
1. The 8 months come from May-Jan. High school graduation is in May in case you never did graduate.
2. I think you should take an extra 5 months off from your job (assuming you have one) and just figure out something to do. Go get another job, get metally healthy, touch up on your skills. Understand that for some kids, school is their job.
3. If you really loved to play football, and a coach asked you not to play football this year in order to allow another player to play in your spot, would you be happy? Probably not. This is why instead of taking a greshirt offer, some will choose to go to another school.

Please understand that I'm a proponent of greyshirting. I think it is a big advantage for the right person in the right situation. Your initial post sounded like you didn't understand some of the disadvantages of greyshirting.

I'm sure this will make you even more KRAZY. Have fun with your rebuttal. I won't be responding to you anymore. Have a great day.
I'm not Krazy but let me answer these...

1. May to January is not accurate, as non EE's wouldn't be arriving to practice until July. So that is 6 months.
2. If school is a kids job, then go to school. You can take summer courses (which you would have had to pay for anyways), or enroll part time (as I said under 12 credit hours and your good) and take a few classes.
3. If you really loved to play football, and wanted to become the best, would you want to go somewhere just for the sake of playing early? Heck, go volunteer coach at your HS for the fall, until Spring semester starts. Stay around the game. There are other options. Now, if you are a player who is going to be an immediate impact, then yeah...go somewhere else. However, if you are just going to go to a University where you play 3-5 plays a game your Freshman year, don't get RS, lose a year of eligibility to be a warm body....does that make sense?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It is in no way "for the lesser recruit." If that was the case, why would the staff want to spend a scholarship on the player at all? What does waiting a semester do to help you not be a lesser recruit? If I am a coaching staff, and I rank my class from top to bottom, I would probably actually want my lowest player to be in practices ASAP instead of giving them more time to fall behind.
If you need a lot weight to play at the next level, or if you need to recover from an injury, then it is an ideal scenario, IMO. You wouldn't play anyway, so you get to start your play clock later to allow yourself time to grow into college.

One question I have is, can a gray shirted player use an academic scholarship for the first semester?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
It is in no way "for the lesser recruit." If that was the case, why would the staff want to spend a scholarship on the player at all? What does waiting a semester do to help you not be a lesser recruit? If I am a coaching staff, and I rank my class from top to bottom, I would probably actually want my lowest player to be in practices ASAP instead of giving them more time to fall behind.
If you need a lot weight to play at the next level, or if you need to recover from an injury, then it is an ideal scenario, IMO. You wouldn't play anyway, so you get to start your play clock later to allow yourself time to grow into college.

One question I have is, can a gray shirted player use an academic scholarship for the first semester?

They could use an Academic scholarship, but if that's the case they wouldn't need to GS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.