Punter Johnny Townsend Spurning Ohio State for Alabama?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: Warning: Twitter Rumor- Punter Johnny Townsend may not sign with tOSU, but Bama

exactly righ, just rumors right now.

but, I wouldnt put it past Meyer pulling an offer from him...dont think they were bankling on getting Vonn Bell from what I hear.
that's the "co-rumor" that Meyer needed someone to pay own way for a year....

but, like I posted in the title....it's just rumor at this point

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Re: Warning: Twitter Rumor- Punter Johnny Townsend may not sign with tOSU, but Bama

On the bright side we will be stacked at DL this class. With Cody Mandell being a Senior this would be great to give him a year to learn under Mandell and then step up as a redshirt freshman. This would be beneficial considering how we punted when Jay Williams and Mandell were both true freshman having to step up. Just my take though.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

if we can pick up a solid punter, why bummed...last i checked, kicking is still an important part of the game.
I guess I could see a reason to be a little unhappy.

Alabama didn't get Conner and reportedly told Bell they didn't have room. Then, if this whole scenario is true, Alabama basically traded Bell for Townsend, which would indeed be a bit of a head scratcher. This is a whole lot of assuming, but it's hard to think Alabama actually wanted to trade Bell for Townsend, and one would assume they missed on someone they were counting on.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I guess I could see a reason to be a little unhappy.

Alabama didn't get Conner and reportedly told Bell they didn't have room. Then, if this whole scenario is true, Alabama basically traded Bell for Townsend, which would indeed be a bit of a head scratcher. This is a whole lot of assuming, but it's hard to think Alabama actually wanted to trade Bell for Townsend.
from everything I've read, we didnt have a position for Bell to play (regardless of his stars)
..at least thats what every thread has been saying for over a week.

given that, the staff may feel that the next best option would be to pick up a kicvker with the available slot.

Not really a head scratcher to me, unless star ratings is what your going by.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

from everything I've read, we didnt have a position for Bell to play (regardless of his stars)
..at least thats what every thread has been saying for over a week.

given that, the staff may feel that the next best option would be to pick up a kicvker with the available slot.

Not really a head scratcher to me, unless star ratings is what your going by.
Alabama was still going after Conner, so I'm not sure it was a position issue so much as a space issue. If they suddenly found room for a kicker, it means something didn't go as anticipated, unless the kicker suddenly showed interest, in which case I'd have to assume he'd be a greyshirt/walk-on or something of that sort.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Alabama was still going after Conner, so I'm not sure it was a position issue so much as a space issue. If they suddenly found room for a kicker, it means something didn't go as anticipated, unless the kicker suddenly showed interest, in which case I'd have to assume he'd be a greyshirt/walk-on or something of that sort.

I believe what may have went wrong was that Connor signed with Ole Miss, and Bell signed with OSU.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

This sounds like a quality, good character guy. Good punter and also played safety. So, maybe he'll be like Cade Foster a little and be a viable tackler on special teams.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

Sounds like no Vanderdoes.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

We can only take 26 LOIs and there are 23 in including Jones. If Robinson and Kamara sign, that is 25. Room for Vanderdoes OR Townsend.

A surprise was always going to mean we lost out on a lot

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

We can only take 26 LOIs and there are 23 in including Jones. If Robinson and Kamara sign, that is 25. Room for Vanderdoes OR Townsend.

as someone else said earlier; cant lose out on what you never had.
This class is shaping up to be a huge one for bama, and possibly #1 with the two you just mentioned (Kamara/Robinson). I just cant see saying 'what happened' looking at our board.

did we miss one somwhere, Probably so. did we lose out? well...see sentence 1.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

It's a #1 class. I'm fine if we were already done. Alvin Kamara and A'Shawn Robinson will just be icing on the cake.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011

I'm cool if we just had Bozeman sign and call it a day with that 26.

Saban knows best, so let's take a good punter. It is obvious that this is plan C though.

My questions would be - why is Cunningham not plan C?

Last edited:

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

I guess it might be close to him making his decision? Here is an update:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ommit-johnny-townsend-20130206,0,1693457.post

Punters do not normally dominate headlines on National Signing Day, but Boone’s Johnny Townsend is the exception.

Townsend, one of the top punters in the country, was expected to sign with Ohio State today but an unspecified "family matter" has put his signing of the National Letter of Intent on hold.

Townsend's father, Clay Townsend, however, said speculation about any scholarship offer being pulled was "completely false."

Clay Townsend said: "Coach Meyer has not pulled anything and everything regarding the scholarship offer remains intact. We just have a family matter that has required extra consideration and he has not signed, but the status of his scholarship is the same."

Last edited:

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Could the 'family matter' be waiting to see what EV does to see if he'll get an offer?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.