Punter Johnny Townsend Spurning Ohio State for Alabama?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Could the 'family matter' be waiting to see what EV does to see if he'll get an offer?
That is my thought, and I think that Meyer should do what Muschamp did with Reed - tell Townsend that we need an answer now or we are moving on. Force Townsend to take on some of the risk.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I'll tell you what if this punter is as good as the one LSU had a couple years ago he is worth waiting for. The change in field position with our defense, yeah buddy. Of course strengthening up the D with EV is also nice.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
I'll tell you what if this punter is as good as the one LSU had a couple years ago he is worth waiting for. The change in field position with our defense, yeah buddy. Of course strengthening up the D with EV is also nice.
If you're talking about (what's his name? - age is hell) the last two years, the pot smoker, then we can do without that kind of punter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Meyer thinks that Townsend has the type of talent that guys like Wing have shown. Of course you have to see what he can do under college pressure.

CrimsonMike

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 12, 2012
Mobile, Al
How good is this guy?
Here's one scouting opinion. "Johnny is a very good athlete who plays multiple positions for his high school team. Johnny's "A" ball is tremendous. His consistency has improved and still getting better as a punter. Johnny's great leg speed overall athleticism has made him the most heavily recruited punter in the nation." Sounds good to me. RTR!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is what I am hearing:

First, Townsend's father says that the offer from OSU is still there - that he can commit at any time and have a full scholarship. That said, none of the "speculation" around here agrees with that.

Second, remember that we have a 82 scholly limit, not 85, as a result of the NCAA sanctions. We have only signed 24 players this year and have 1 more to give, but not within the 82 limit.

The speculation is that Meyer did not believe that he would land all 4 (Wilson, Clark, Elliott and Bell). At most, he expected to land 3 of the 4. Also, EVERYONE expected Jamie Wood to hang up his cleats since he announced as much last season. It seems that he has had a change of heart and wants to try and play this spring. If his shoulder can take the beating (he is a safety), he would keep his scholly. While no one is certain how that will play out (obviously, everyone is pulling for him), that is one less scholly that we can hand out until the issue is decided. So it looks like we asked Townsend to wait and see how things play out with Wood or the rest of the roster.

Meanwhile, reports are coming out today that Florida has also offered Townsend a scholly, so the Gators and Tide are trying to pull him in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.