****Official PostGame Thread - Bama vs. Auburn****

Status
Not open for further replies.

countrytider

Suspended
Mar 19, 2001
Marion Co., AL
I am not taking up for the team on this game, but who saw the game . I saw the boxscore. Lacey fouled out. the team had 22 fouls to their 10. Was this home cooking? Was the stats the tale of the game? I don't believe Lacy ever foul out. Somebody help me out.
Alabama.
It was very difficult to watch. 2nd half we had scored 5 points with about 5 min to go..they had scored 25.

We would literally run the shot clock down to 5 or 6 every time just passing it around then throw up a prayer. It was the worst offensive performance I've ever seen in a half.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
We are running the same pathetic offense as we did under Hobbs....I swear, I could do a better job of coaching an offense to move around - with simple back screens, top-over picks, dribble penetrate-dish then swing, etc......this is not rocket science. To not score more than 70 - 100 pts. per game is reason enough to be fired. Period.

countrytider

Suspended
Mar 19, 2001
Marion Co., AL
We are running the same pathetic offense as we did under Hobbs....I swear, I could do a better job of coaching an offense to move around - with simple back screens, top-over picks, dribble penetrate-dish then swing, etc......this is not rocket science. To not score more than 70 - 100 pts. per game is reason enough to be fired. Period.
Grant painfully reminds me of the Hobbs' era.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
Ha...at least we made 5 straight tournaments and had a nice run.

Oh, and you're right about talented teams...who recruited those teams?

Please stop acting like Gottfried didn't have some pretty good teams at Alabama because he did.
I'm not happy with the performance this year, but I'm so freakin tired of people romancing the gottfreid era. There is a lot of revisionist history going on. You compare CMG's first 3.5 years and his last 3.5 years to Grant's performance so far and you'd see the program was is in better shape now than it was with the previous coach. We lost tonight. It sucked. The offense has been crappy. All of those are legit beefs. However, you can't compare CMG to CAG b/c so far Grant has done the better job.

I haven't posted tonight b/c currently I have nothing nice to say about this staff or this team. However, the longing for the days of that previous idiot is nothing more than a joke.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Last night's game replaces the 40 point loss to Pitt as the most embarrassing loss I can remember.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Kansas lost to TCU last night, so anything can happen. Don't understand why Alabama is ok with this type basketball performance, though.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I was willing to give him another year as they seemed to be turning it around in SEC play. However, last night was an embarrassment. It is hard to argue that CAG deserves to finish the season much less get another. Our AD has the $$$ to go after any coach Mal chooses to pursue. I am not saying or foolish enough to believe we can hire a Coach Cal, Coach K, Roy Williams etc. But, coaches like Brad Stevens at Butler, Greg Marshall at Wichita State, Buzz Williams at Marquette, or an assistant like Wojo at Duke are ones to look at closely.

At a bare minimum, Mal needs to demand CAG hires 1 or 2 new assistants approved by Mal whose sole job is developing and putting in a new offense.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
We will probably even lose auburn again when they come to Tuscaloosa. 37 points? Really now? I believe this team has finally hit rock bottom.

Last edited:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, if it's any consolation, look what happened last night with Kansas and TCU. And keep in mind, Kansas is WAY better than us, and TCU is WAY worse than auburn.

To put in perspective why fifth-ranked Kansas' loss is so stunning, consider the following statistics for a moment:• TCU has five NCAA tournament victories in program history; Kansas had five NCAA tournament victories last season alone
• TCU last made the NCAA tournament in 1998; Kansas last missed the NCAA tournament in 1989.
• TCU lost all eight of its Big 12 games prior to Wednesday night; Kansas had lost eight Big 12 games in five seasons prior to Wednesday night.
If Kansas' loss isn't the season's most shocking, it at least belongs in the conversation. The only ones that come close are UCLA's November upset at the hands of lowly Cal Poly, Texas' stunner against Division II Chaminade and Virginia's loss to an Old Dominion team that fired its coach Tuesday after starting 2-20.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Worst performance of an Alabama team I can remember. We can stop all the talk of a a tourney bid short of winning the SEC tournament. That is gone. We may not even make the NIT, but we'll see. Far and away our worst loss in the last 10 years. This is a bad Auburn team and they didn't play well, we just stunk. Effort was poor, no half court offense, and we were lazy getting back on defense. You can't sugar coat this one in any way, shape form or fashion, it was an embarrassment. If you can't get the kids up to play your biggest rival, when can you get them motivated?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not happy with the performance this year, but I'm so freakin tired of people romancing the gottfreid era. There is a lot of revisionist history going on. You compare CMG's first 3.5 years and his last 3.5 years to Grant's performance so far and you'd see the program was is in better shape now than it was with the previous coach. We lost tonight. It sucked. The offense has been crappy. All of those are legit beefs. However, you can't compare CMG to CAG b/c so far Grant has done the better job.

I haven't posted tonight b/c currently I have nothing nice to say about this staff or this team. However, the longing for the days of that previous idiot is nothing more than a joke.
Amen. Gottfried got fat, lazy and entitled at Alabama. I believe he felt like he was untouchable. He's coaching his butt off now at NC State so it looks like Alabama made a mistake in firing him. No... had Gottfried actually put in the effort he was capable of, he'd still be here, and Alabama would likely be an SEC power instead of what we're seeing.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Did not see the game but looked at the play by play list. All I can say is bless the hearts of those who watch the whole game. We scored 10 points from the start of the second to 1:51 left in the game.

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you. I still haven't recovered from watching this. I hope the team has some bounce in the next game.
Nor I, but I have calmed down. Apologies to all for my ranting last night, I love Bama Basketball dearly, and it burrs me to see how lifeless our crowds are many times, and how cluless we look on the floor at times.

And I lost a steak bet to a barner last night, Ruth Chris at that :mad:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Read the whole thread. Our offense is terrible as several have noted. But I think our poor offensive performance is closely tied to CAG's style. That's the big debate IMO.

What disturbs me is that we pass up wide open, uncontested shots early in the shot clock cycle to take a well defended shot in the last 10 second of the shot clock.

Also, we have the talent to run a more wide open attack and get out on fast breaks (Levi Randolph runs and jumps like a deer), but we rarely do it because CAG likes to make our opponents play defense in the half court. Problem is, when you run a half court offense you've GOT to have a post player who can score pretty regularly.

Then he likes to play attacking, pressing defense which limits the amount of "running" we do on offense.

So Grants style is to beat you in a defensive, low scoring game.

I'd vote for him turning the offense loose to try to run more and then just settle for playing better half court defense and forget the press until the roster will better support that...if he's give the time to get there.

MrRourke

Suspended
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.