JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Signing Day 2013 could lead to No. 16 in 2014
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
February 7th, 2013 01:48 AM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Feb. 6, 2013   Alabama fans can certainly understand the fatigue setting in around the rest of the country, as fans of other programs, members of the media and rival coaches have had enough of Alabama to last them a couple of decades, at least.   But Alabama fans [...]

Read More Here

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
This made me smile:

The Crimson Tide signed 10 players ranked a perfect 10.0 on the NARCAS rating scale, one more than a year ago. Alabama’s class carried an overall ranking of 9.84, one of the highest ever recorded in NARCAS’ 16-year span of tracking recruiting, but slightly lower than last year’s 9.86 average.
One of the highest EVER... but, um, not quite as high as last year's.

Man, it's great being a Bama fan :)

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Could someone please explain the NARCAS rating scale? I've never seen it referenced anywhere but Tidefans/JessN, and I have no clue what it means or what goes into it. Thanks

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Could someone please explain the NARCAS rating scale? I've never seen it referenced anywhere but Tidefans/JessN, and I have no clue what it means or what goes into it. Thanks
According to my initial dyslexic reading, it meant NASCAR, which got me more confused than a termite in a yo-yo. :pDT_crazy:

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
Hey Jess,

You said that Carson Tinker decided to forego next season......do long snappers/special team only players usually do that? Did he grade out good enough to depart for a possible NFL career? For some reason I thought he was a graduating senior. thanks!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Hey Jess,

You said that Carson Tinker decided to forego next season......do long snappers/special team only players usually do that? Did he grade out good enough to depart for a possible NFL career? For some reason I thought he was a graduating senior. thanks!
Im pretty sure he used up his eligibility too, but I may be wrong.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Hey Jess,

According to the roster we had at the beginning of last season, Tinker was a RS junior in 2012. However, I notice the rolltide.com roster now has five years of participation listed for him (one redshirt year, one squad year, three playing years), so it appears he did exhaust his eligibility. I will refrain from my soapbox about rolltide.com rosters. (g) But I will edit the article to reflect the change.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, what makes you think A'Shawn plays DL? Can't he play either side of the ball?
He can play OG, but I think the chances of that happening at the college level are very slim.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Here's the description we used to tack onto every recruiting article; I guess I should start doing it again so people can easily find it:

NARCAS (North American Recruiting, Coaching and Athletics Survey)

The NARCAS system is specific to all TideFans recruiting specials and will be the main ranking system used for each year's class. It is based on a 10-point scale. Here are the particulars of that scale:

10.0 Very few players attain this ranking. A player with this ranking is thought to have superstar ability. In most cases (quarterbacks are often an exception), the player will likely play as a freshman and would be a candidate for any all-freshman teams his conference might name.

9.6-9.9 These are players who have the ability to play as freshmen, and could start. A player towards the upper end of this category could have a significant impact as a freshman; players to the lower end of this category would likely provide immediate depth.

9.3-9.5 These players have about a 50/50 chance of playing as a freshman, depending on position (quarterbacks in this range, for instance, would have a lesser chance of playing immediately than a player at running back or receiver, where the adjustment period is typically shorter). They are thought to be good players who have an excellent chance to make an impact before graduation.

8.9-9.2 These are players who will almost certainly redshirt, but could be counted on to produce before graduation. These players have much improvement to make once they get to college, but have the talent to do so.

8.5-8.8 These players have college-level talent, but will need significant development in order to be productive at most major universities. These players have something to prove.

***-8.4 NARCAS does not usually assign a ranking to a player below the level of 8.5. While players in this range might still play at some point in their career, the deck is stacked against them.

NR (expressed as "*.*" in the rankings column) These are players that NARCAS does not have enough information on to rank properly. This mostly applies to international players or players from small high schools who receive little publicity. NARCAS also does not rank kickers, punters or long snappers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.