QB's - current and newly signed discussion (watch the teasers!)

BamaRickandLisa

Scout Team
Oct 3, 2011
Mississippi
AJ McCarron
Alex Morris
Phillip Eli
Parker McLeod
Cooper Bateman

Loaded at QB's... Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out in the up coming months.. Going to be a lot of talent sitting on the bench after Aj and whoever gets the #2 spot..

RTR

Rick

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Re: QB's

If you are gonna list em, list em all. Add Blake Sims, and Luke Del Rio. We have 7.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Saban's comments in his presser yesterday have to make you believe that he sees Alabama's next starting QB in this recruiting class. To paraphrase, he said that the players currently on the team have had their chance and it is time to give this next group theirs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban's comments in his presser yesterday have to make you believe that he sees Alabama's next starting QB in this recruiting class. To paraphrase, he said that the players currently on the team have had their chance and it is time to give this next group theirs.
No one expected the guys already on campus to become the starter when AJ graduates. Phillip Simms was the expected replacement prior to his transfer. Blake Sims can run the offense, but many do not see him as a full time starter at Alabama. Phillip Ely fits a McElroy mold, and with the talent at Alabama, he needs more than just smarts to play QB. Alec Morris could possibly take the reigns, but not many (if any) had expectations of him becoming the starter.

Personally, I would be fine with CNS saying AJ won't play in A-Day to allow the other 6 QBs have more playing time. Everyone knows what we have in AJ. Not playing in one scrimmage will not cause him to lose any chemistry with players.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

No one expected the guys already on campus to become the starter when AJ graduates. Phillip Simms was the expected replacement prior to his transfer. Blake Sims can run the offense, but many do not see him as a full time starter at Alabama. Phillip Ely fits a McElroy mold, and with the talent at Alabama, he needs more than just smarts to play QB. Alec Morris could possibly take the reigns, but not many (if any) had expectations of him becoming the starter.

Personally, I would be fine with CNS saying AJ won't play in A-Day to allow the other 6 QBs have more playing time. Everyone knows what we have in AJ. Not playing in one scrimmage will not cause him to lose any chemistry with players.
I expect AJ to play in A-day about like a veteran starter in the first NFL pre-season gave, 1/2 the first quarter. Lead 1 drive, maybe 2 just to shake off the rust and then turn it over to the others to fight it out for #2 spot

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL

I'm I crazy to think that all 3 incoming freshmen get a redshirt? Simms, Morris, and Ely should be able to come in and play if AJ goes down and give time for younger guys to develop.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I'm I crazy to think that all 3 incoming freshmen get a redshirt? Simms, Morris, and Ely should be able to come in and play if AJ goes down and give time for younger guys to develop.
The problem is that you will need a new starter next year, and you will want that starter to have at least some in-game experience. The "next" guy needs to be the back-up in this scenario, IMO.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Both Morris and Bateman's recruiting videos were pretty impressive. I didn't see any of Ely's and Blake Sims was recruited more as an athlete than as a QB.

I'll be surprised if our next QB isn't already on campus or about to be in Bateman's case. We've had a lot of success in developing QBs under Coach Saban, no reason to think otherwise at this point to me.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I expect AJ to play in A-day about like a veteran starter in the first NFL pre-season gave, 1/2 the first quarter. Lead 1 drive, maybe 2 just to shake off the rust and then turn it over to the others to fight it out for #2 spot
I agree that AJ will need to have some playing time to shake off any rust. He can do that in the two closed scrimmages, though.
I'll be surprised if our next QB isn't already on campus or about to be in Bateman's case. We've had a lot of success in developing QBs under Coach Saban, no reason to think otherwise at this point to me.
Bateman is an EE, so he's already on campus. Actually, all 3 QBs from this class are on campus.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Kind of sounds like they may be told that they're not going to be starting on the team, and may decide to transfer out.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

After watching and looking at these guys I think Luke Del Rio will be the best out of them this year.. Blake still wants to go to the NFL so I think he may still play some QB but will be used else where too.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Unless one of the young ones truly stands out in the spring I think Blake will be the backup again, especially initially, simply because he has some game experience.

Who the next starter will be is a complete toss up at this point. Morris has a rocket arm and is big. Bateman is a superb passer, I know little about Mcleod, Ely is a capable game manager. I really think Del Rio is going to surprise a lot of folks.

We'll find out in the spring.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I agree with those who've said that we'll want next years starter to get some real game experience this year. Therefore, whoever comes out of fall camp as the #2 shouldn't red shirt IMO.

After watching and looking at these guys I think Luke Del Rio will be the best out of them this year.. Blake still wants to go to the NFL so I think he may still play some QB but will be used else where too.
Problem here is LDR will have to count against #s this year if he plays next year. Of course, IF he turns out to be the best option then I'm sure CNS will figure out how the numbers will work.

But, at any rate, I can't imagine a scenario of going into 2014 and not having already identified the "future" qb by giving him some playing time this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.