Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Too many scholarships in the backfield?

So Bama has 6 scholarships QBs, right? AJ, Sims, Ely, Morris, Bateman and McCloud.

Bama also has 7 scholarship RBS, right? Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Henry, Jones, Tenpenny? (Am I missing someone?)

So that's 13 scholarships in the backfield. That seems like an awful lot. I just can't imagine we don't have some QBs transfer and an RB do the same. At least we'll have to move an RB or two somewhere else on the field.

Thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team bamabackerzack's Avatar

Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

+ kamara
    And no, i dont think we used too many scholarships.
    Injuries and transfers do happen.
    Last edited by bamabackerzack; February 7th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    So Bama has 6 scholarships QBs, right? AJ, Sims, Ely, Morris, Bateman and McCloud.

Bama also has 7 scholarship RBS, right? Yeldon, Hart, Fowler, Drake, Henry, Jones, Tenpenny? (Am I missing someone?)

So that's 13 scholarships in the backfield. That seems like an awful lot. I just can't imagine we don't have some QBs transfer and an RB do the same. At least we'll have to move an RB or two somewhere else on the field.

Thoughts?
    RB: Kamara

AJ is gone after this year, Blake Sims is more like a change of pace QB.

Who knows if Hart will every be 100% and Fowler may be more of a FB/HB after knee injury.

Are you longing for the days of the alternative? Long live Fran? Heck we didn't have enough linemen at times... Too many (which I'm sold that it is) is better than not enough. Period.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

After the injuries we suffered at these positions last season, unfortunately there isn't TOO many. Praying everyone gets and STAYS healthy for the years to come!!

I seem to remember threads for the last two years to the effect that we had a roadblock at RB. Depth sure can evaporate in a hurry...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPride25's Avatar

It's easy to look at the numbers and feel that way but if Lacy wouldn't have stayed healthy this season we would have been in trouble at RB. Can never have enough RBs in my opinion.

Last year we went into the year with 5 RBs, this year we go in with 8. That's a big difference.

The QB depth seems a little crazy. Even without Sims that's still a lot of QBs and it's obvious that with Morris, Ely, McCloud and Bateman probably 2 of them will never see the field.

So we've got ~70 scholarships spread around the other 20 positions.

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I don't think it's too many. Getting a player that is a great college QB is a numbers game. If one the other five QBs turn out to be good, we're good for 3-4 years.

RBs are hugely important to us and are the players who take the most punishment. Some of those elite players can switch positions if needed as well. It's good to be king.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Too many scholarships in the backfield?

Recent history has proven you can't have too many RB's on scholly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly it is high by historic measures, but point to a position where we seem to be lacking at depth.

From year to year there are fluctuations.

So no one thinks we'll see transfers and/or change of positions?

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    So no one thinks we'll see transfers and/or change of positions?
    Nope.

And you're forgetting something. We don't know who is paying their own way. AJ could very well have taken out student loans because he knows he's getting paid in 2014.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!