Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

It's like having too much money.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I seem to remember threads for the last two years to the effect that we had a roadblock at RB. Depth sure can evaporate in a hurry...
    I remember seeing a lot about the Tide potentially having too much depth at RB last year. Having two 1,000 yard rushers goes a long way to dispel that, along with having someone leave early every year. You have to keep reloading...

Aside from that though, the team had true freshman as second and third string RB by years end, and they gave a lot of time to a walk on. Part of this is the fact that the schedule is getting longer, and a playoff game will only add to that. You don't want to run out of running backs headed into the post season.

As far as QB, last year things seemed pretty comfortable. AJ backed up by an experienced 5 star QB. They had three other scholarship QBs behind him. Once he transfers though, it became clear there wasn't an obvious replacement. Blake Sims is going to be a junior, and it's hard to imagine him being the full time QB anyway, so he's not much of an option. Ely will only be a sophomore, but clearly Saban isn't seeing something he'd like to see, or else he'd have been the backup last year. So, it makes sense that he'd want Morris, and Bateman. McLeod was the only one that threw me off, I thought once Del Rio came on board, he (and/or Morris) might decide to look elsewhere.

However, it's clear that Saban is looking for his future QB, and there's something he sees in all these guys. Since all of these guys will participate in spring practice, I imagine we will see a departure though, as someone figures out they are too far down the totem pole. The flip side is that if AJ gets hurt, all our hopes will rest on one of those guy's shoulders.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

JMO, but you only have too many here if you have neglected other positions. I see no sign of that.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

In one area, I'd point to how we use multiple RBs in our offense, regardless of the talent of the individual RB. Before Fowler got hurt, we were using three RBs against teams (fortunately for some of our opponents, we were only able to use two).

I'm at the point now where whatever Coach Saban does, I'll go with it. He knows more than I do, and it just isn't any use in worrying about whatever happens. The man has a plan for everything.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I don't think you were trying to complain, so I'll try to be as objective as possible. 13 of 85 scholarships is 15.29% (13/85). I think that's reasonable, although I admit that I have no yardstick to measure by - BET, RTO, LCN, HSV, or CA may have a better perspective. The ratio of QB/RB scholarships may be slightly out of kilter, but I don't see it as anything that won't self-adjust within a year.

That brings us to the question I think you are trying to get to - will we see transfers due to the depth in the backfield? At QB, I wouldn't be surprised. At RB, I would. We cycle several players there throughout each game, and we have a history of three-and-done high-profile studs. The line moves along rapidly enough, even without injuries.
    “In the South everybody’s got a story, a long, elaborate, rambling, subordinate-clause-filled, possibly even entirely made-up story.”

—Diane Roberts, quoted in book review by Jay Watson
    in The Southern Register, Fall 2009

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Bama wants/Needs List:

D Linemen: Check
    O Linemen: Check
    Linebackers: Check
    Secondary: Check
    Wide Receivers: Check
    Tight Ends: Check
    QBs: check

A whole Boatload of 4-5 star Running Backs: Double Check

Wheres the problem?

Seriously though, I could see a QB or two leaving after the pecking order is establised...its the only position that playerws really dont share time.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna go with it seeming like Saban has a pretty good grasp on this whole college football thing and I'll let him worry about it.

BamaNation All-American buzzincuzzin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Bama wants/Needs List:

D Linemen: Check
    O Linemen: Check
    Linebackers: Check
    Secondary: Check
    Wide Receivers: Check
    Tight Ends: Check
    QBs: check

A whole Boatload of 4-5 star Running Backs: Double Check

Wheres the problem?

Seriously though, I could see a QB or two leaving after the pecking order is establised...its the only position that playerws really dont share time.

Just a thought.... Highest rated class of the modern era and probably not a September starer in the bunch.
    The state of Alabama football.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Look at the player's "age" going into the 2013 season.

QB:
    AJ - Senior
    Blake - RS Junior
    Ely - RS Sophomore
    Morris - RS Freshman
    Bateman - Freshman
    McLeod - Freshman
    Del Rio - Freshman

RB:
    TJ - Sophomore
    Drake - Sophomore
    Fowler - Senior
    Hart - RS Sophomore
    Henry - Freshman
    Kamara - Freshman
    Jones - Freshman
    Tenpenny - Freshman

Behind AJ, Alabama has one experienced QB in Blake. Morris may make a run at #2 this year after being in the system for year. When looking at their eligibility, you see one guy for sure gone and two others possibly gone with degrees in hand. There will be a line in 2013, but that line shrinks going into 2014. Someone help here, Del Rio can't play for 2 years because he is an invited walk-on, correct?

In regards to the RB depth, Bama loses Fowler after this year. Hart may not play again because of his injuries. Barring an injury, TJ is at Bama for only 2 more seasons. Again, that line isn't as long as it first appears.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzincuzzin View Post
    Just a thought.... Highest rated class of the modern era and probably not a September starer in the bunch.
    The state of Alabama football.

I agree....its hard to truly understand whats happening right now...

Every recruiter in the country just pounds at the depth chart at bama each and every year...and they just keep on a comin' and waitin thier turn... Its truly unprecedented.

And Im lovin every minute of it.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Look at the player's "age" going into the 2013 season.

QB:
    AJ - Senior
    Blake - RS Junior
    Ely - RS Sophomore
    Morris - RS Freshman
    Bateman - Freshman
    McLeod - Freshman
    Del Rio - Freshman

RB:
    TJ - Sophomore
    Drake - Sophomore
    Fowler - Senior
    Hart - RS Sophomore
    Henry - Freshman
    Kamara - Freshman
    Jones - Freshman
    Tenpenny - Freshman

Behind AJ, Alabama has one experienced QB in Blake. Morris may make a run at #2 this year after being in the system for year. When looking at their eligibility, you see one guy for sure gone and two others possibly gone with degrees in hand. There will be a line in 2013, but that line shrinks going into 2014. Someone help here, Del Rio can't play for 2 years because he is an invited walk-on, correct?

In regards to the RB depth, Bama loses Fowler after this year. Hart may not play again because of his injuries. Barring an injury, TJ is at Bama for only 2 more seasons. Again, that line isn't as long as it first appears.
    A nice perspective.

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Big A Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

Too many? Did you watch any of the games last year? This is SEC big boy football and RB's (and QB's) can be lost for the year on one play. CSN knows what he is doing, just sit back and enjoy the ride.
    "They're not better than us," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said of the Tide. "They're better than everyone."

BamaNation Second Team WalkaboutSean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday Saban said "to have really good depth at running back you need five really good players.Three guys usually play a lot."

He prefaced that remark by pointing out that we really only have one proven performer at the RB position. The other guys are coming off injuries and/or have played sparingly.