O Linemen: Check
Linebackers: Check
Secondary: Check
Wide Receivers: Check
Tight Ends: Check
QBs: check

A whole Boatload of 4-5 star Running Backs: Double Check

Wheres the problem?:biggrin2:

Seriously though, I could see a QB or two leaving after the pecking order is establised...its the only position that playerws really dont share time.

Just a thought.... Highest rated class of the modern era and probably not a September starer in the bunch.
The state of Alabama football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Look at the player's "age" going into the 2013 season.

QB:
AJ - Senior
Blake - RS Junior
Ely - RS Sophomore
Morris - RS Freshman
Bateman - Freshman
McLeod - Freshman
Del Rio - Freshman

RB:
TJ - Sophomore
Drake - Sophomore
Fowler - Senior
Hart - RS Sophomore
Henry - Freshman
Kamara - Freshman
Jones - Freshman
Tenpenny - Freshman

Behind AJ, Alabama has one experienced QB in Blake. Morris may make a run at #2 this year after being in the system for year. When looking at their eligibility, you see one guy for sure gone and two others possibly gone with degrees in hand. There will be a line in 2013, but that line shrinks going into 2014. Someone help here, Del Rio can't play for 2 years because he is an invited walk-on, correct?

In regards to the RB depth, Bama loses Fowler after this year. Hart may not play again because of his injuries. Barring an injury, TJ is at Bama for only 2 more seasons. Again, that line isn't as long as it first appears.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Just a thought.... Highest rated class of the modern era and probably not a September starer in the bunch.
The state of Alabama football.

I agree....its hard to truly understand whats happening right now...

Every recruiter in the country just pounds at the depth chart at bama each and every year...and they just keep on a comin' and waitin thier turn... Its truly unprecedented.

And Im lovin every minute of it.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Look at the player's "age" going into the 2013 season.

QB:
AJ - Senior
Blake - RS Junior
Ely - RS Sophomore
Morris - RS Freshman
Bateman - Freshman
McLeod - Freshman
Del Rio - Freshman

RB:
TJ - Sophomore
Drake - Sophomore
Fowler - Senior
Hart - RS Sophomore
Henry - Freshman
Kamara - Freshman
Jones - Freshman
Tenpenny - Freshman

Behind AJ, Alabama has one experienced QB in Blake. Morris may make a run at #2 this year after being in the system for year. When looking at their eligibility, you see one guy for sure gone and two others possibly gone with degrees in hand. There will be a line in 2013, but that line shrinks going into 2014. Someone help here, Del Rio can't play for 2 years because he is an invited walk-on, correct?

In regards to the RB depth, Bama loses Fowler after this year. Hart may not play again because of his injuries. Barring an injury, TJ is at Bama for only 2 more seasons. Again, that line isn't as long as it first appears.
A nice perspective.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Too many? Did you watch any of the games last year? This is SEC big boy football and RB's (and QB's) can be lost for the year on one play. CSN knows what he is doing, just sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Yesterday Saban said "to have really good depth at running back you need five really good players.Three guys usually play a lot."

He prefaced that remark by pointing out that we really only have one proven performer at the RB position. The other guys are coming off injuries and/or have played sparingly.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Cecil Hurt had an excellent article this morning about Saban's recruiting philosophy.

In it he explained how Saban has a purpose for each class.

He even actually addressed us signing four running backs by writing, "If Bama signed four running backs it's because Nick Saban wanted to sign four running backs".

I remember being amazed at our running back depth last year and then boom boom boom..just like that Lacy was banged up, Fowler was out, Hart was out, and we basically had two healthy scholarshipped running backs, so I'm not going to second guess acquiring more than enough quality depth at such a vital position.

sip

Here's Cecil's entire article. It's pretty darn good.
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1469811[/FONT]

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Recruiters can try to discuss the depth issue at Alabama, but look at the stats. Alabama RBs in 2012:

NameCarriesYardsTDs
Eddie Lacy204132217
TJ Yeldon175110812
Kenyan Drake422815
Dee Hart21880
Jalston Fowler11850
Ben Howell18520
Brent Calloway10630

A walk-on RB had 18 carries last year. The Week 1 #5 guy ended up with 5 TDs, 42 carries and almost 300 yards. With those stats, how can a recruiter tell a RB he'll have to RS or wait his turn at Alabama because there's too much depth?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Recruiters can try to discuss the depth issue at Alabama, but look at the stats. Alabama RBs in 2012:

Name
Carries
Yards
TDs
Eddie Lacy
TJ Yeldon
Kenyan Drake
Dee Hart
Jalston Fowler
Ben Howell
Brent Calloway

A walk-on RB had 18 carries last year. The Week 1 #5 guy ended up with 5 TDs, 42 carries and almost 300 yards. With those stats, how can a recruiter tell a RB he'll have to RS or wait his turn at Alabama because there's too much depth?
I didnt say it'd work...it's just all they got.
;)

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

NameCarriesYardsTDs
Eddie Lacy204132217
TJ Yeldon175110812
Kenyan Drake422815
Dee Hart21880
Jalston Fowler11850
Ben Howell18520
Brent Calloway10630

While I get what you're saying, I don't think Howell or Calloway get those carries if Hart and Fowler do not get hurt. If all avoided serious injury (hard to do in the SEC), you're right at Saban's "5 running back" philosophy. So, we had 5 quality backs going into last year, and still had to use 2 more. Just thinking out loud, I think I get it... :)

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You can never have too much depth.

You may see Henry move to H-back behind Fowler, but I don't expect many position changes. Saban will find places to use them if they are talented (like Dee Hart on punts, before the injury)

chalkpit

Suspended
May 31, 2012
I bet wisconsin or maryland wished they would have more qbs on their roster last season. Maryland was down to their last qb on the roster before the season even started.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
You can never have too much depth.

You may see Henry move to H-back behind Fowler, but I don't expect many position changes. Saban will find places to use them if they are talented (like Dee Hart on punts, before the injury)
Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
I think a QB will definitely transfer, if not two. However, the real question is 'how will it affect Bama'? How did Phillip Sims transfer affect us? Well it didn't, but that is only because we were lucky and AJ never had any injury issues.

Assuming someone like Bateman or Morris really grabs hold of the #2 spot this season, the other one might transfer. With guys like McCloud and Ely, it is hard to know where their head is. Maybe they are just glad to be there and don't mind always being a backup at Bama. Anyway, I could still see one of those two transferring also if they are really thinking they could be and should be a starter somewhere.

Looking at RBs, I can see a scenario where Fowler is only a FB/HB and Hart never gets back to 100%, and so a TF will compete with Drake for carries behind Heisman-candidate TJ Yeldon. Even in that case, a 2nd TF will likely play at some point in 2013 due to the inevitable nicks that our RBs will receive. I could see one TF transferring after the 2013 season if he has sort-of settled in at the #4 spot among the 4 TF. On the other hand, if Fowler and Hart get significant carries and there are no major injuries, you could see two of the TF get impatient and transfer.

Again, what effect will it have on us? In both cases (QB and RB), the transfer opens a scholarship to be used on the next hot-shot 5-star QB or RB who thinks they are next in line. What I love about it is the survival-of-the-fittest aspect we have. It certainly IS NOT a mistake to give out those schollies. It is often hit-or-miss with those guys. You never know who will be the real deal and be dependable and make the grades and stay out of trouble and stay focused. So what will happen is, the cream will rise to the top. Then if the others ALL transfer, so be it. Then we turn around and use those schollies to bring in a ton more HS talent looking for the next batch of cream.

Its good to be a Bama fan.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Nope.

And you're forgetting something. We don't know who is paying their own way. AJ could very well have taken out student loans because he knows he's getting paid in 2014.
Doesn't matter. He counts against the 85 because he was a recruited athlete. Could you imagine the shenanigans if you could sign someone, move them off scholarship in year 2 (because money was available from "other" sources) and not count them against the 85 limit? The NCAA headed that off at the pass by making them count against the 85, even if they don't need the money.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Whomever emerges from the depth we have next year as the solid #2 guy will be a stud. Same goes for #3.

Football is a game with constant injuries. Why are some people forgetting that? You have two guys go down by week 3 and there will be no crying about the schollies used at RB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.