Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Re: Too many scholarships in the backfield?

Cecil Hurt had an excellent article this morning about Saban's recruiting philosophy.

In it he explained how Saban has a purpose for each class.

He even actually addressed us signing four running backs by writing, "If Bama signed four running backs it's because Nick Saban wanted to sign four running backs".

I remember being amazed at our running back depth last year and then boom boom boom..just like that Lacy was banged up, Fowler was out, Hart was out, and we basically had two healthy scholarshipped running backs, so I'm not going to second guess acquiring more than enough quality depth at such a vital position.

sip

Here's Cecil's entire article. It's pretty darn good.
    http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1469811

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Recruiters can try to discuss the depth issue at Alabama, but look at the stats. Alabama RBs in 2012:

Name Carries Yards TDs
    Eddie Lacy 204 1322 17
    TJ Yeldon 175 1108 12
    Kenyan Drake 42 281 5
    Dee Hart 21 88 0
    Jalston Fowler 11 85 0
    Ben Howell 18 52 0
    Brent Calloway 10 63 0

A walk-on RB had 18 carries last year. The Week 1 #5 guy ended up with 5 TDs, 42 carries and almost 300 yards. With those stats, how can a recruiter tell a RB he'll have to RS or wait his turn at Alabama because there's too much depth?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Recruiters can try to discuss the depth issue at Alabama, but look at the stats. Alabama RBs in 2012:

Name Carries Yards TDs
    Eddie Lacy 204 1322 17
    TJ Yeldon 175 1108 12
    Kenyan Drake 42 281 5
    Dee Hart 21 88
    Jalston Fowler 11 85
    Ben Howell 18 52
    Brent Calloway 10 63

A walk-on RB had 18 carries last year. The Week 1 #5 guy ended up with 5 TDs, 42 carries and almost 300 yards. With those stats, how can a recruiter tell a RB he'll have to RS or wait his turn at Alabama because there's too much depth?
    I didnt say it'd work...it's just all they got.

Name Carries Yards TDs
    Eddie Lacy 204 1322 17
    TJ Yeldon 175 1108 12
    Kenyan Drake 42 281 5
    Dee Hart 21 88 0
    Jalston Fowler 11 85 0
    Ben Howell 18 52 0
    Brent Calloway 10 63 0

While I get what you're saying, I don't think Howell or Calloway get those carries if Hart and Fowler do not get hurt. If all avoided serious injury (hard to do in the SEC), you're right at Saban's "5 running back" philosophy. So, we had 5 quality backs going into last year, and still had to use 2 more. Just thinking out loud, I think I get it...

BamaNation All-SEC tidefanbeezer's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

You can never have too much depth.

You may see Henry move to H-back behind Fowler, but I don't expect many position changes. Saban will find places to use them if they are talented (like Dee Hart on punts, before the injury)

I bet wisconsin or maryland wished they would have more qbs on their roster last season. Maryland was down to their last qb on the roster before the season even started.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by tidefanbeezer View Post
    You can never have too much depth.

You may see Henry move to H-back behind Fowler, but I don't expect many position changes. Saban will find places to use them if they are talented (like Dee Hart on punts, before the injury)
    Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpit View Post
    I bet wisconsin or maryland wished they would have more qbs on their roster last season. Maryland was down to their last qb on the roster before the season even started.
    yeah, didn't they end up having to go with a linebacker to play QB?

BamaNation First Team

I think a QB will definitely transfer, if not two. However, the real question is 'how will it affect Bama'? How did Phillip Sims transfer affect us? Well it didn't, but that is only because we were lucky and AJ never had any injury issues.

Assuming someone like Bateman or Morris really grabs hold of the #2 spot this season, the other one might transfer. With guys like McCloud and Ely, it is hard to know where their head is. Maybe they are just glad to be there and don't mind always being a backup at Bama. Anyway, I could still see one of those two transferring also if they are really thinking they could be and should be a starter somewhere.

Looking at RBs, I can see a scenario where Fowler is only a FB/HB and Hart never gets back to 100%, and so a TF will compete with Drake for carries behind Heisman-candidate TJ Yeldon. Even in that case, a 2nd TF will likely play at some point in 2013 due to the inevitable nicks that our RBs will receive. I could see one TF transferring after the 2013 season if he has sort-of settled in at the #4 spot among the 4 TF. On the other hand, if Fowler and Hart get significant carries and there are no major injuries, you could see two of the TF get impatient and transfer.

Again, what effect will it have on us? In both cases (QB and RB), the transfer opens a scholarship to be used on the next hot-shot 5-star QB or RB who thinks they are next in line. What I love about it is the survival-of-the-fittest aspect we have. It certainly IS NOT a mistake to give out those schollies. It is often hit-or-miss with those guys. You never know who will be the real deal and be dependable and make the grades and stay out of trouble and stay focused. So what will happen is, the cream will rise to the top. Then if the others ALL transfer, so be it. Then we turn around and use those schollies to bring in a ton more HS talent looking for the next batch of cream.

Its good to be a Bama fan.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I dont see Henry being used as a halfback....JMO.

Ive never seen a recruit where people seemed bent on changing their position more than Henry.
    Jimmy Johns
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bamachile View Post
    I love their sammiches!

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

Nope.

And you're forgetting something. We don't know who is paying their own way. AJ could very well have taken out student loans because he knows he's getting paid in 2014.
    Doesn't matter. He counts against the 85 because he was a recruited athlete. Could you imagine the shenanigans if you could sign someone, move them off scholarship in year 2 (because money was available from "other" sources) and not count them against the 85 limit? The NCAA headed that off at the pass by making them count against the 85, even if they don't need the money.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Whomever emerges from the depth we have next year as the solid #2 guy will be a stud. Same goes for #3.

Football is a game with constant injuries. Why are some people forgetting that? You have two guys go down by week 3 and there will be no crying about the schollies used at RB.
    "Um, that's just like, your opinion, man."

- The Dude